Lit thoughts about Tolstoj?

Lit thoughts about Tolstoj?

Tolstoy, TolSTOY.

the best

How come?

You spell Tolstoj with y?

Literally god

That depends on your writing system. I assume that in op's language "j" sounds like english "y".

his last name is derived from the word "tolstyi" meaning "a fat one"

No I looked at what the english wiki spell his name. In my language we use y not j.

I've only read Anna Karenina and The Death of Ivan Ilyich by him, but I didn't enjoy them. It's difficult to understand, but when I was reading Karenina I kept feeling like this is how a computer trying to mimic humans would write, with perfect sentences and story structure and all of those things, but without any real human feeling in it. I guess they were just dramatically unsatisfying to me.

I am looking forward to reading War and Peace though. (I read those two works in the Maude translation, by the way.)

Read Kreutzer Sonata

>Lev Nikolajevič Tolstoj
Is like a Slavic Latin alphabet spelling as you might find in Croatia.

Why?

It's the work of Tolstoy's that possessed the strongest sense of human feeling that I've encountered.

I started reading Anna Karenina when I was 19, and didn't get it at all, so I stopped reading it. I liked all the chapters with Levin and thought that all the chapters with Anna Karenina were irrelevant. Some years later I learned that they symbolise the old and new Russia, and ever since, I've been meaning to read it again.

OP's native language is Swedish, we write Tolstoj. In Swedish transliteration, y is used to represent ы.

We write Tolstoj, Dostojevskij, Gorkij, Tjernysjevskij, and so on, and so on.

Yes indeed.

The narrator in AK is mostly bland, yes, but that allows you to see into the characters and events more clearly and objectively. I don't believe that you felt nothing while reading the spectacular opening description of the chaos in the Oblonsky family, or the scene of Karenin holding Vronsky's hand and forgiving them while Anna was dying, or the final part where Levin is desperately searching for meaning. It's the characters and their inner dramas that truly matter in AK, you have to really enter their minds to appreciate the work.

His early stories about the Cossack/Chechen frontier are surprisingly comfy reads that mix soldierly camaraderie, native hospitality, and acute observation, with poetic descriptions of the land. The Cossacks, The Raid, The Woodfelling, and so on.

>I don't believe that you felt nothing while reading the spectacular opening description of the chaos in the Oblonsky family, or the scene of Karenin holding Vronsky's hand and forgiving them while Anna was dying, or the final part where Levin is desperately searching for meaning.

I promise I didn't. I enjoyed the parts with Levin the most, but only as something amusing, never anything really emotional. I don't have a problem with inner dramas and entering minds, I just didn't care for what I've read from him so far.

I havent read any of Tolstoy but I have seen AK and WAP as plays which was really good. I liked war and peace more though.

GOAT

I agree. I've yet to read The Cossacks, but The Raid and The Woodfelling are two of the comfiest stories I've read.

Two Hussars too.

What do you medan by GOAT?

you could google it, but it means Greatest Of All Time

Gayest Of All Time

basically I'm saying he's like Chris Jericho.

Thx user, yes I coulde have will next time.

Hahh lol