First semester compsci

>first semester compsci
>linear algebra
>professor laughs at all the brainlets
>first lecture covered matrix inversion, multiplication, determinants, other operations etc.
>second lecture fields, vector spaces, subspaces, quotient spaces
>progresses continually at a fast pace
>everybody crying its too hard
>end of semester
>1/4 of the class still attending lectures
>professor gets scolded for not covering basic shit,
>mfw 75% of the remaining 1/4 of the class is going to fail the final

>first lecture covered matrix inversion, multiplication, determinants, other operations etc.
>second lecture fields, vector spaces, subspaces, quotient spaces

To be fair, that is incredibly fast. What did you talk about the rest of the semester?

Linear algebra can be extremely daunting if explained incorrectly, but when explained correctly it's extremely easy.

only 75%?
if quotient spaces were already introduced in the second lecture, how far did you get in one semester?

What the fuck. How can you even start a course on Linear algebra without talking about fields and then bases of vector spaces?
Even definig what a matrix is in generall and what it represents is impossible without that.

Are you going to a trash tier school where Linear algebra consists of calculating some eigenvalues and checking if [1,2,3], [2,3,4] is a vector space?

groups, rings, linear systems, complex nums, eigenvalues and vectors, normal form, logic, other special vector spaces, analytical geometry

shitloads of proofs nobody understood

Yeah it was a mix of linear algebra for pure math students and for cs students which led to a big clusterfuck of confusion.

I don't know if he's doing it again next year, they will probably find somebody else.

Oh, is the professor a mathematician? I love stories about mathematicians teaching courses for non-mathematicians (non-mathematician, synonym of brainlet).

I have one too.

In the past the mathematics department taught calculus classes to ALL the engineers. Some were soft, but my Calc 3 professor is now in the history books for how he would fuck them over. His course is incredibly hard, even for mathematicians but for mathematicians he has a near 100% pass rate as we all can figure out a way through. But why is he in the history books? Because almost every fucking engineer would fail his class many times. He was Trump's wall and engineers were mexicans. But it had a sad ending. This made the administration very concerned about mathematicians teaching outside of their department and after many attempts to call out this Calc 3 professor to make him dumb down his shit, the administration popped. Now the engineering departments has their own calculus professor for all levels. Calc I, II and III taught by engineers.

Fucking amazing, what a legend. And from what I know from my engineer friends, this happens:

>No definition of limits
>Barely any work with limits
>No definition of the integral
>Barely any series
>Calc 3 mixes calculus and linear algebra, dumbing down both as they have no full linear algebra course so they have to cover all they can in calc 3.
>50% of the engineering students STILL fail.

The guy is famous. I wish to be like him in the future but now they don't let mathematicians teach engineers lol. Maybe if I find another university to teach at I could do it.

They teach you how you can use matrix to solve linear systems, then they teach you that a vector space uses matrix too

Pretty much this. It's the only field of math that I can think of where you either completely understand it or you have no clue at all, and that difference relies on having a good prof.

I understand that, but why would you do that.

Understanding what solving a system of linear equations means is by far easier to understand if you know that every matrix is a map between vector spaces.

Yep same idea. This guy is a fucking beast, I have no fucking idea what some most if his research topics are.

Honestly I think there's a good balance. Some people like this guy just go too overboard.

>tfw brainlet

HELP ME Veeky Forums I DON'T WANT TO BE A BRAINLET ANYMORE REEEEEE
SHARE TIPS FOR STUDYING, FOR TEST OR WHATEVERR
I CAN'T BE A BRAINLET FOREVER

Here is my tip for studying

>Be born smart so you don't need to study

Works every time.

Op here.

Its okay I'm a brainlet too. Just try your best.

GEE I WONDER WHY A MATHEMATICIAN WHO HAS FUCK ALL TO DO WITH HIS TIME CAN BOTHER TO LEARN USELESS SHIT

Meanwhile, engineers have to learn a million safety regulations to save lives, mathematics, physics, ideas from different sciences, managerial concepts, computer graphic design, project lifecycles, business, law and more things.

FUCK OFF YOU SMUG SHIT MATH MAJORS YOU HAVE AN UNDESERVED SENSE OF SELF WORTH

Holy shit. I have never seen an anus so ravaged.

First,
>Meanwhile, engineers have to learn a million safety regulations to save lives, mathematics, physics, ideas from different sciences, managerial concepts, computer graphic design, project lifecycles, business, law and more things.

Don't lie to yourself. You may have to learn all that shit, but you do it at a normal pace by taking 5 to 6 classes each semester. We do the same. We also have other classes that we have to keep up with.

Stop being a fucking crybaby. What, do you think all we do in mathematics is do calculus 24/7? Lol, like we don't have countless other shit aswell.

>FUCK OFF YOU SMUG SHIT MATH MAJORS YOU HAVE AN UNDESERVED SENSE OF SELF WORTH

I am superior to you in every sense possible and you know it. That is why you are mad. It is fine. God understands why men commit suffer from anger, so I too understand why brainlets like you get mad.

But don't worry, I forgive you. Being mad at you would be like a man being angry at an ant.

it's linear algebra. they are not "brainlets". they are fucking lazy. almost anybody could understand this shit with enough effort expended.

we're going linear algebra at the end of this course I'm taking. in my 3rd language, should I be worried

first lecture "covered" matrix inversion, multiplication, determinants, other operations etc.
second lecture "covered" fields, vector spaces, subspaces, quotient spaces

I dont think you understand what cover means. Also at that pace you might as well have covered modules and ring theory

Verdict: brainlet OP lies about how hard a course is in local Veeky Forums shitpost

Holy shit, i always knew engineers were mentally retarded but i didnt know it was this bad

>one of these people might inspect your house's floor plan someday

Brainlet detected. Have you never learned from a book before?

ITT: things only undergraduates say

Says the engineer with a vastly overinflated sense of self worth

I am sorry you were born a brainlet instead.

There will always be work cleaning toilets or something, man. Look at the bright side.

>covering up one's own insecurities by doubling down on obvious bullshit

Jej, irl everyone thinks you're a weirdo

What is "obvious bullshit'?

If you are naturally smarter then you will have an easier time. Everyone knows that. And the brainlets like you, regardless of how many pills you swallow, how many tutors you hire, how many re-dos you get, how much extra-credit you get, will always struggle.

ITT: things only undergrads say

75% of the 1/4th, and 100% of the other 3/4ths. That's 94%.

Alright you're right. I exaggerated a bit.

If English is your third language, maybe.

Holy shit, you're a fucking sperg. lmao

What field are you in? What year?

no

you sound like the smelly fat kid that would jack off under the desk in class.

CS major here
I really enjoyed linear algebra, mostly because my professor focused on the conceptual side of it and didn't grill us too much on the arithmetic

all under grad math is honestly really easy

I passed linear algebra without studying. Your class is full of brainlets

That is a shitty engineering curriculum then, or more likely a shitty school.
Why is it that NEETs are allowed on this board?

Nah, ez shit m8.
Jsut cover all your basics.

The importance of a good teacher can NOT be over-emphasized. To this day I am thankful that the teacher that taught basic proofs in college was so fucking good... after his class I breezed though my Mathematics B.S.

What school? Mouth is watering

they are some complete retards admitted into engineering. many of them are chasing money, and many are only admitted due to racial quotas/"diversity."

when i was a TA in a fourth year class i regularly had students that didn't understand fundamental material that was taught in their 200 level/sophomore classes. these are people that were a few weeks/months away from entering the industry and they knew less than second year engineering students that aren't retarded.

I have degrees an Mathematics and Engineering... Mathematics is by far easier... probably easiest degree to get for a STEM person.. everything is completely understandable and provable, once you get it, you got it, everything is done.

I loved my linear algebra class, and aced it as well. However I'm fairly certain I'm a brainlet, maybe I'm just a lazy piece of shit.

Holy fucking quads

You should know all of the first lecture and some of the second from highschool.

You are that one of the 75% who are gonna fail.

how can 75% fail if only 25% are left? brainlet

>first year in university
>electromagnetism class
>more than 100 people enrolled
>teacher goes hardcore, first day he states he won't give any ``explicit formulas'' for problems, to avoid students just applying formulas mindlessly without actually understanding what they are doing
>first day of class already doing problems that require decent knowledge of integral calculus and more.
>very rigorous class with lots of reasoning (for first year in university)
>at exams, using a formula without justifying/deriving it would be severely penalized
>a single error of concept on a question (such as wrong units for some results) would be entire question wrong.
>brainlets used to just memorizing formulas and spitting them on exams in high school get crazy about this and don't know what to do
>in less than a month more than half of the class already gave up
>at the end of the semester, in some classes only a buddy of mine and me attended (of more than 100 people)
>half of the class didn't even show up for the final, most of the other half got the lowest possible mark, and only 5 persons managed to pass

good memories, actually hated that guy at start, but made me actually improve a lot

>Lol

Triggered m8? ;)

A being of supreme intellect attempting to communicate with the primarily inferior minds of the masses here. A gentleman indeed.

Oops, what do we have here? Think you dropped this, good sir.

>once you get it, you got it

Well, yeah.

>being so insecure you feel the need to lie
top lel

Where is your college? Where I live all math classes are taught only by mathematicians as well as all physics classes are taught only by physicists and all statistics classes are taught only by statisticians and so on. I thought it was pretty common around the globe.

>Even definig what a matrix is in generall and what it represents is impossible without that.
No it isn't, we can define a n×m matrix with entries in field K as a function from {1,2,...,n}×{1,2,...,m} to K, no need for defining linear transformations first

Solving systems of linear equations is crucial in many places and more natural and elementary than some abstract vector spaces and linear maps

>how can 75% fail if only 25% are left?
really gets them neurotransmitters flowing.

Read his post again you illiterate

This.

But it's also easy af to do and to program.