Victorian Literature

>Victorian Literature

Exactly.

Mhm

His idleness was not hygienic, but it suited him very well. He was in a manner devoted to it with a sort of inert fanaticism, or perhaps rather with a fanatical inertness. Born of industrious parents for a life of toil, he had embraced indolence from an impulse as profound as inexplicable and as imperious as the impulse which directs a man’s preference for one particular woman in a given thousand. He was too lazy even for a mere demagogue, for a workman orator, for a leader of labour. It was too much trouble. He required a more perfect form of ease; or it might have been that he was the victim of a philosophical unbelief in the effectiveness of every human effort. Such a form of indolence requires, implies, a certain amount of intelligence. Mr Verloc was not devoid of intelligence— and at the notion of a menaced social order he would perhaps have winked to himself if there had not been an effort to make in that sign of scepticism. His big, prominent eyes were not well adapted to winking. They were rather of the sort that closes solemnly in slumber with majestic effect.

Joseph Conrad. The Secret Agent / a Simple Tale (Kindle Locations 131-138).

>irish """""""""""""""""""""literature"""""""""""""""""""""""

post your favourite Victorian Veeky Forums

>finish pic related
>end up more miserable

wtf I hate france now!?

Just finished slogging through the essays in the back of that edition for an intro to literary theory class. Is theory going to get any better, or should I just jump ship and stick with history and philosophy?

Reclaim theory

I saw this movie, it was real good

>There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea.

That is an amazing page of writing, the rhythem and musicality and flow of the word choices, the phonology, the sounds are always going up and down and in and out but so smoothly, so interestingly, but rightly (except commodius vicus is a little clunky, and the fall word, and some other stuff), very poetry

instead of praising sentences for their musicality, why not just listen to music

>It is another girl lured by Heathcliff

Is this Victorian? I have no idea. It was good though.

I can do both. And the praising is not whats important, the truth is

Pretty much all of Shakespeare.

This is mine too, good taste senpai.

Anyone who reads Wuthering Heights and comes out of it with the idea that Heathcliff is their ideal man is retarded.

Please be a troll.

Yep

That's Elizabethan matey

Stick with it unless you're retarded, eventually you should get your head around it. Critical theory is mostly bullshit in this day and age but it makes you look smart around normies. I hope you have a good teacher. All the best user.

The Andrea Arnold one? Yeah it was

The book is better.

>french literature of any fucking period
>"I was at Le Monsieur de Baguette L'escargo de Croissant Café where I found Mademoiselle le Faguette to which we both orderd à la carte pâté le flognarde and le Époustouflant 1874 vintage Vín and de la 60 year aged ecru fromage and blah blah blah I am fucking gay..."

Literally what is even the point of translating this shit again?