Writing

What are your plans for national novel writing month, Veeky Forums?

nothing, because im not a pseud

Continue working on my novel as I have all year because I have no interest in hipster normie memes.

And you, dear TWPoet?

What's your novel about?

It's a story based on Gnosticism, in which the main character is the new god Abraxas but neither he nor the reader knows it until the very end.

Thanks for asking, it means a lot.

No problem, it sounds interesting and i'd like to read it when you're finished. Best of luck with it.

Thanks, user. Ily.

Spoiler that shit

I just finished brainstorming for mine last week. I'm pretty happy with the overall concept. I've just started drafting the first chapter.

Step 1: change my intended genre every day, after some daily epiphany that makes yesterday's genre seem like something I must have been stupid to even consider.

What's it about?

Go back to that novel about my year abroad in Germany that I abandoned at 38000 and see if I can turn it into some bollocks about the human condition that this board will turn into a meme.

I'm writing a Lovecraftian horror story involving the beasts called Niggers from his famous poem. The Niggers are starting to encroach into the neighborhood! Oh f**k!

subvert it and make the white man the enemy all along and there might be a booker prize in it for you

Is this some sort of contest, or just a regular nationwide meme?

A world where people are artificially produced, or "made." I will update with a synopsis of the plot later.

This is an actual contest, not a meme.

Alright, cheers. Best of luck, frienderino.

I'll write when I fucking feel like it and at my own pace.

Then you will never finish anything.

Im rewriting the first 50 pages of a novel I began two months ago. It has taken me this long to realise that I have just been hacking away at it, and that I never had the voice I wanted. The ideas I have for this novel; the plot, the world, the characters, could be so great in the right hands. I need to take my time and actually write something that is brilliant, which I think I have conceptually now. I have never been afraid to put pen to paper before but for the first time I have find my fingers stuck hovering above the keys. For the first time I feel like I am actually going to write the best thing I can write, and its a little daunting.

I'm gonna continue writing the novel I've been working on.
I don't intend to get involved in the whole "NaNoWriMo" happening but I will track my daily word count.
If nothing else I hope I can get in the habit of writing 2k+ words daily.

Unfortunately education is my first priority, then work, then anything I have time left for. 50000 words by the 30th? I can't even find the time to brainstorm, let alone get to 50000 words.

In essence I'm pretty much a cuck when it comes to writing

The neet wins again. Just kidding, you're right to focus on the more important things but don't neglect time for yourself.

FIPIBIPI

I'll be finishing the first draft of my second novel this week, then putting it away for a few weeks. Giving myself some distance. While I do, I'm starting research for my next novel. I've got a few books to trawl through and I'm going to be making a shitload of notes.

That's pretty cool, friend. I wonder what your take on it will be.

>tfw my 13 200 word post-apocalyptic novella is nearly finished, and it's the best prose I've ever written.

I'm going to continue writing my novel and not caring about some odd one-month book challenge made up to give lazier people motivation, thank you.

Lazier people and teenagers who just want to brag that they wrote 50 000 words in one month despite the words forming an incoherent and contrived story.
>10/10 would Wattpad again

Exactly.
A book needs to be thought out well, and not spat out in a rush to meet a deadline. It's prose, not Mario Kart, for crying out loud!

I sent a poem collection to a national contest. I might not win but i´m not losing anything by sending it.
I will still write poetry for now, t least until i have more time to write fiction

Best of luck user. Can I see some of your poetry?

Thanks a lot. I´d show you gladly,but my poetry is in spanish

Ah, ok. Regardless best of luck with the contest. I'm sure your poetry is great.

Great plan. I can always appreciate an author who does their homework.

I also appreciate authors who literally do their homework ;)

Best of luck with your poetry!

Good point. I do suppose it's more of a "novelty" than anything else.

Well done.

Best of luck.

I am eager to read it, should the time arise.

Not planning on finishing in a month, but I do have an idea that I've already started working on.

I'm kind of taking the structure of Cloud Atlas---alternating stories set at various points in time and place throughout history with different characters that all echo each other---though I want to change the form by making each chapter much shorter than what you see in Cloud Atlas.

The entire premise is about the conflict between free will and determinism and people endeavoring to change their circumstances. These are the four stories (I think four is enough?) that'll make up the narrative:

>Brazil, 1814: A narrative of a slave revolt in Bahia through the eyes of a Yoruba slave (Boluwatife) and the Gabriel Cardoso, the son of a sugar plantation owner who's engaged in an incestuous relationship with his sister
>St. Petersburg, 1905: A young worker in a textile mill, Valya, and her finace Ilya, a laborer at the Putilov Ironworks, are caught up in the Bloody Sunday massacre
>Tokyo, 1999: Miyahara Mamoru, a graduate student at TokyoU, kidnaps his terminally ill girlfriend, Kogane, from the cancer ward and takes her on a grand excursion of the city
>The Sol System, 2101: (not completely made up my mind on this one) Either deals with a mutiny on a spacecraft or, more likely, a small mission manned by transhumans and AI that ends in failure

Each novel would be written in a slightly different style, with the Brazil narrative taking influence from Romantic writers, the Russia narrative from Russian literature, the Japanese narrative from Japanese, etc.

The "climax" of the novel is Kogane's suicide, which is followed back-to-back by short chapters in rapid succession of Ilya being killed by Tsarist troops, Cardoso and his sister being murdered by the slaves, and something in the space narrative, kind of like how Requiem for a Dream builds to a rhythmic series of successive climaxes.

Any thoughts?

While I don't disagree that a lot of people use NaNo as a way to pat themselves on the back for spewing utter garbage, there are plenty of people who use it like a "writing holiday". A devoted writer will keep writing and planning whenever creativity strikes, but NaNo is a good time to buckle down and try to churn out a rough draft of something you can refine afterwards.

The original purpose of NaNo was merely to get self-doubting aspiring authors to write instead of just toying with ideas forever.

Just seems done.

Just vomited this out. Really unsure of it:

“You are who you have always been. Introspective artists have always been this way, have they not, bringing of questions of self. I would appreciate it if you did not do so in front of Ariann, she is easily startled.” Warning taken. The girl’s eyes glanced backward to Evenrel where he stood impassive behind Lauro, a lumbering shadow shading his head.

“You are who you have always been. Introspective artists have always been this way, have they not, bringing of questions of self. I would appreciate it if you did not do so in front of Ariann, she is easily startled.” Warning taken. The girl’s eyes glanced backward to Evenrel where he stood impassive behind Lauro, a lumbering shadow shading his head.

“Who gave you permission to address Ms.Ancila in that way?” Lauro laughed, but it came out as closer to a nervous croak. A reason to keep him secret of her would be to see how he handles the introduction, but if that were true then this introduction was planned. If this introduction was planned then something surely was off. Evenrel had taken him specifically past that vantage point, and though he did not know the lay out he guessed it was not the fastest path to the east wing. For one they had traveled west. Clues and questions, Noemi had sat in clear view of his path. Yes, that made sense.

“I meant no offense. Unfortunately I am not experienced in the etiquette of this life, and did not realize I could not say Noemi’s name.” Perhaps a jab was important, to see how far her reaction went. Ariann’s eyes narrowed, but she did not move further. The way she stood Lauro guessed a few things about her. Often one saw bar fights, and often one saw the drunken hunched stance of a man who did not know how to fight but had a mind to teach himself there and then. Occasionally however you instead saw the way of walked of someone experienced, springs coiled ready to be sprung. Normally these were the less drunk, but even when not their actions portrayed that cat before the pounce. Ariann looked the same now, though she hid it well. One foot was slightly back from the other, her heel of the ground. A distance of fifteen feet separated them, but hairs stood on the back of his neck to symbol that this was not near far enough.

“If there were others here besides Ariann this would be an insult of a degree higher than your position can excuse.”

“And what position is that?”

“As I have already explained you are to be my personal glass blower.” Noemi’s pale fingers pointed to his breast, decorated with the sigil.

“That marks you, marks you as an artisan to receive patronage from our household. Particularly you are one under my services, meaning your actions will reflect on me. I will not tolerate a poor reflection.” Lauro’s fingers tingled, and at the top of his scalp a slight buzz had begun.

Working on a piece I've been building up and carving into for over a decade.

It's three parts. The overall story and three main characters are the same, but each book puts slightly more focus on one character over the other two.

It's fantasy adventure story, but instead of just being a generic epic tale of a clear-cut case of good vs evil, it gets into the perception of evil and how people handle trauma caused by "evils" in their life. The heroes have all done villainous things, the villains have reasons for doing the horrible things. The main "enemy" in the series isn't even a person, it's a physical manifestation of the idea of "inner demons" (though... not actually demons).

So, basically: very, very thoroughly sketched out fantasy world with an adventure plot that's a tale of individual suffering, introspection and morality.