John Williams: Stoner

Is this worth a good read, Veeky Forums?

Perfectly average piece of mid-century American realism. Overesteemed due to "feels".

Apparently its recent popularity is because of how perfectly it emphasizes (and contradicts) the modern notion of "everyone is a winner, everyone is entitled to a great life" and so on, the bullshit millenials grew up on.

That said, it's good. Read it.

dude

Fag.

Pretty depressing but not all that long so you can't really lose.

It's worth a bad read

Why is there always at least one Stoner thread in the catalog? We might as well make a Stoner general at this point.

I think it offers great insight into habits and politics of the academy, and since most people who read a great deal have had some sort of engagement with an academy, usually quite a bit, it perhaps gets more praise than it would if it dealt with the occupational world of an unionized factory worker

that being said it is not a trivial thing to produce such a moving piece of literature while remaining so descriptive and spartan

smoke weed amirite xD

I agree with you but what I found more compelling was its portrayal of agency within generational and cultural cycles. I think that the characters' attempts to defy or confirm these cycles is the real meat of the story. Through this lens we can also come to understand postwar america as a whole and how school is the point at which many young Americans will either perpetuate or diverge from the expectations set up by the previous generation.

Am I explaining myself clearly? Did anyone else read the novel in this light?

If something has the ability to evoke "feels" that's a positive quality in art, making it better. Twat.

Very average.

It was so depressing I had to stop halfway through. Maybe im a puss. Them feels as a kid of a divorced rural marriage hit too close to home

maybe im jaded or lack empathy or something, but the novel didn't seem too depressing to me. a bit bleak, sure, but not as bad as some of u pussies say it is.

i liked when he had an affair with katherine. those parts made me excited desu

yes next

Fuck off, you retarded tranny who starves himself.

>Apparently its recent popularity is because of how perfectly it emphasizes (and contradicts) the modern notion of "everyone is a winner, everyone is entitled to a great life" and so on, the bullshit millenials grew up on.

You don't get to just say this and walk away. Explain yourself.
Yeah it's amazing got spammed and jerked off on here a few years ago but it's hit the point of popularity where contrarians are starting to turn up on Veeky Forums, disregard them.

>contrarians are starting to turn up on Veeky Forums

I've been a Stoner truther since 2014, thank you very much.

Go to 420chan

You're not very bright m7