If you think that number means three thousand instead of three with four significant digits, you are everything that is wrong with the world. Learn international standardized notation please. The only correct thousand separator is a space.

Other urls found in this thread:

iq-research.info/en/page/average-iq-by-country
bipm.org/utils/en/pdf/Resol22CGPM-EN.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Who gives a fuck?

three million

I guess I'll just end me whole sentences with a comma too. retard,

stop it

The different is that would be incorrect.

Decimals indicate full stop, comma's indicate continuation. That's why it's the way it is and that's why you're a massive idiot

I'm not even sure what you are trying to say. Decimal marks are not the issue here. Both a dot and comma is fine as a decimal mark because that is what the standard says. The only thing that is not okay is to use anything other than a space as a thousand separator. Using a comma as a decimal mark which a lot of countries do, while you may personally dislike it, would not have lead to any actual confusion if it was not also incorrectly used as a thousand separator by some countries.

you're the retard honestly

1'000.00
^The only correct way of writing numbers. C++ folks and Swiss people will agree.
Using commas is literally asking for trouble: [math]a\in \{2,3,4\}[/math] [math]b\in [2,3,4][/math]

Just write it as 3x10^3

It doesn't really matter. Seeing as America influence the entire world, maybe you should embrace the comma separating the thousand.

And we also should be going back to the imperial system while we're at it? USA cucks are the most stupid people among humankind, nothing to be learnt from them.

HAHAHAHAHA
Also, why then do american scientists use space separation and SI units if american standarts should be used everywhere?

You used the word cuck your argument is invalid.

We are a lot more intelligent on average than many places in the world. I'm not sure where you got your "statistic" lol.

It's OK to be jealous that America is just better than your shitty country whatever it may be.

just a little point :
On the imperial system, not only it's useless in scientifical domains, also it's technically not an unit system, as imperial units are derived from metric ones, and not from their own etalons.
TL;DR, imperial units are based on metric ones. Why? because they are better.

on the "intelligent" part, as memetic as IQ is, it is the only quantitative indicator we have yet, so here is a page that sums up the findings of lynn and vanhanen, on which you can see that even if USA is at a quite confortable place, it is absolutely not "lot more intelligent than many places in the world" and especially not if you take into account only countries that have the same develloppement level.

iq-research.info/en/page/average-iq-by-country

It's OK to hang on the firm belief that you are the best country in the world. I understand you need that to compensate for your total lack of culture or history. Just don't try to jizz iton the face of people that know it's false.

Spaces?
So what do you do to prevent databases and spreadsheets from treating that as numbers, rather than as text?

>when shitty third worlders and europoors can't in to the US because they don't understand our number/unit systems

stay the fuck out

3,000 has only one significant digit because it could be represented in scientific notation as [math]3 \times 10^{3][/math], but 3,000. has four significant figures.

This

wrong

I only recognize a decimal DOT

a comma separates numbers

so 3,000 is a 3 and a 0

1,000.00 is a 1 and 0

1000,00 is a 1000 and a 0

If you represent any number without using scientific notation, you're everything that is wrong with the world. Learn international standardized notation please. The only correct... i give up..

So, is this the Accountant thread or what?

You guys are really autistic about this, but too bad you aren't shooting people on the forehead.

>Captcha: Helicopter
Mi General

Consider the following:

And what if some countries adopted using space as decimal separator? Why do I have to change my habits based on some savage countries' "standards" and conventions?

because it's better. And it's an international scientific convention. So actually, there is no debate. If you've got a job or are studying in any field of science, then you already have adopted this convention. and if you are not a scientist, tell me, what the fuck are you doing here?

using space as thousand separator is retarded, try implementing that shit in a computer

But then the digits aren't preserved retard

Here is a list of numbers; 12,000, 1,000, 88, 540,760,001, 10, 300, 100, 1, 551 cool huh?

that's the way, we do it in germany

this

Wrong.

That's a very nice list, you should be proud.

Shut the fuck up

Dot as decimal separator is international standard.

>>and to every fucktard on this thread

according to the GCWM, which is the only internationally recognised conference stating on those subject,
"the symbol for the decimal marker shall be either the point on the line or the comma on the line".
And "numbers may be divided in groups of three in order to facilitate reading; neither dots nor commas are ever inserted in the spaces between groups"

bipm.org/utils/en/pdf/Resol22CGPM-EN.pdf

>he doesn't work in Accounting or Finance

stay pleb
I know how much everybody makes
I know who's about to get fired
I know where the money from the cancelled Christmas party actually went

Veeky Forums is mean

Wrong. You're best off with no separator. Scrubs

correction: Veeky Forums is autistic as all fuck

comma indicates next element you fucking intellectual midget.

I could definitely get on board with that. Underscores should also be allowed, and _0000_ should be a compiler error since there's 4 digits between each underscore

>not using comma + space for sets
Also, the apostrophe is just autistic, but still better than a period.

For huge data dumps sure, but not when you're trying to actually read a number.

>be American engineer for Airbus
>all docs use commas for decimal points, English English spellings (e.g. tyres, colour, etc.)
>make a point of always using periods as decimal points, American English spellings, and even Oxford commas in all of my official reports

This

I despise your actions.

Is this supposed to be confusing?

Are your digits supposed to be repeating?

Good, fuck those Euro-normalizing commies.

Of course

>germany
>being anything other than a laughing stock in 2017

>anti-american makes a fool of himself
Very easy to tell which numbers are which. Are you that stupid where you think this looks tricky?

Intelligence has nothing to do with IQ you fucking idiot.

Tell me, are you a scientist or some highschool faggot?

I know, still, in spite of all its flaws, it's the only thing that slightly approaches the concept of a quantitative "intelligence indicator".

well, being only in my second year of thesis I'm not sure I already fully qualify as "a scientist", but I guess that's only a matter of point of view, and that it depends on exactly what you call a scientist.
Though, I admit I am a faggot. Is that a problem?