Questions that science still can't answer

The more basic the better.

There are plenty of theories to the two below, but nothing has been proven yet.

>how bikes stay upright
>why is ice slippery

What else?

Other urls found in this thread:

liveleak.com/view?i=ba1_1440392668
dujs.dartmouth.edu/2013/04/what-causes-ice-to-be-slippery/
iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0034-4885/60/2/001/meta
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Don't bikes stay upright because they are moving to fast to fall over or something?

no

>cue 100 false explanations of why bikes stay upright

Both have been explained.

not really

Wheels have angular momentum.

the fuck is that

liveleak.com/view?i=ba1_1440392668

One of the weirdest things we have a complete understanding of

an agreegate property of a mass assembly

A bike stays upright because rotations of the weels create a magnetic field and gravitation adjust itself to that.

Ice molecules are packed together in such a way that it reflects friction over the surface. The same way a spherical mirror reflects light over its surface.

Conservation of angular momentum.
The pressure from your feet melts a tiny layer of the ice.

Bikes don't stay upright due to the angular momentum of the wheels, retard.

>Ice molecules are packed together in such a way that it reflects friction over the surface. The same way a spherical mirror reflects light over its surface.

This might be the stupidest thing ever posted on Veeky Forums.

Why is there something instead of nothing?

What is the meaning of life?

Where do we go after we die?

How did life come to be from non-life?

How did consciousness arise?

Where do your thoughts reside?

What is light?

What is gravity?

What is magnetism?

What is a field?

I have a better question: What CAN science answer where that answer is not discredited a generation or two later?

>What CAN science answer where that answer is not discredited a generation or two later?
global warming™

Yes they do, mongrel.

They don't, person of small intellect.

> Questions that science still can't answer
> The more basic the better.

Why?

>>how bikes stay upright

Bikes tend to stay upright due to the caster effect. Some folks are now going on about the front-loading of the frame and all, but thelr argument seems in error.

No. You can stay upright on a bike that is barely moving at all.

Water, pretty uniquely, expands right as it freezes.

If you exert pressure on it, it cannot remain expanded and melts. The pressure of your foot stepping onto an unexpected ice patch, or the pressure from your car tires, or the blades of an ice skate, causes the creation of a thin film of liquid water on which you can slide along the sidewalk, flailing like a retard, skid sideways into oncoming traffic, or win Olympic gold.

If it gets too cold, by the way, the effect stops working.

how does a unicycle stay upright for that matter ? especially when gravity insists on pulling it down to the earth ?

Again, these are all theories, it hasn't been proven

>The pressure from your feet melts a tiny layer of the ice.

That's been disproven as well.

dujs.dartmouth.edu/2013/04/what-causes-ice-to-be-slippery/

If you ask "how does something work" in physics then you will basically always get an answer

if you ask "why does this thing work" that's a stupid question for philosopher/wankers to answer

>>how bikes stay upright
>>why is ice slippery
first question isn't even why, and how is the second a philosophical question rather than a scientific one?
sounds like you're retarded

Can you proof my claims are false?

26 replies and no one has managed to give a clear and concise explanation to OP's question yet

Why is the suns core 6,000K but the corona is >1,000,000K?

My bet is that we are measuring temps all wrong and there isn't really a huge discrepency.

>why is ice slippery

I'd agree with him that this is mainly a philosophical question because 'why' questions necessitate explaining the concept(s) used to explain the first question, then explaining the concept(s) used to explain that, and so on, until you hit bedrock, which will inevitably be philosophical in nature, e.g. epistemology.

I tried to think of a 'why' question that doesn't end up with the answer 'that's just the way it is', but I was unable to. Can you?

okay bait, i guess...

Is it possible to have a universal coordinate system without a time value?

Where does a proton get its spin from?

Is there a maximum energy a particle can have?

What is causing the Beryllium decay anomaly?

What interpretation is correct for quantum mechanics?

Is there a solution to the Hydrogen wave equation that yields half integer values for spin?

What is the mechanism for an electron's magnetic moment?

Are Navier-Stokes equations evidence that voodoo magic exists?

What happens if a star made out of lava collides with a star made out of ice?

god for fucks sake.
No matter if you are on Veeky Forums youtube or whatever, there are always the people who don't get the simplest most fucking obvious baits.
Fuck man how can you be so dense to not realize he was joking.

That article is stupid.
Even metals melt on contact and slightly meld because they are not flat durfaces but surfaces with spikes.

Why do I have a crush on my co-worker?
Science can't explain that.

you're an autist dude. everyone understands what the question why is ice slippery means, you apparently can't

>>how bikes stay upright
They don't stay upright: there are constant course corrections because the bike is always falling to one side, but by shifting our weight or turning the front wheel the bike leans to the opposite side, then we correct again.

>>why is ice slippery
Different molecules have different degrees of resistance. It should be expected that some molecules will have more drag and others less. The question should be "why is their resistance."

they went from the looks of a 6 year old gal (1972), to one of a cock-hungry early twenties girl with strong cheek and chin development (2002)

> actually important and unanswered question :

What should I do with my life ?

any conjecture that involves primes
basic but impossible to solve by basic means

No, it's more due to the gyroscopic effect. Look up rollers.

>>how bikes stay upright

nobody fucking knows!!
it's magic

wrong
right

right until it's proven wrong in a couple months as per usual with scientific crockery

what is the derivation for friction force

Do centripetal and centrifugal force not play a role in how bikes stay upright?

>What is the meaning of life?
eat and fuck and die
>Where do we go after we die?
buried in the ground
>How did consciousness arise?
>Where do your thoughts reside?
Your brain
What is magnetism?
>>>/icp/
What is a field?

In reality everyone here is a fucking moron with their heads so far up their own asses that it's clear the vast majority are still children.

Physicists still don't have a mechanical explanation for what 'G' is in Newton's famous equation.

> iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0034-4885/60/2/001/meta

> "Improvements in our knowledge of the absolute value of the Newtonian gravitational constant, G, have come very slowly over the years. Most other constants of nature are known (and some even predictable) to parts per billion, or parts per million at worst. However, G stands mysteriously alone, its history being that of a quantity which is extremely difficult to measure and which remains virtually isolated from the theoretical structure of the rest of physics."

I disagree.

Let's say the question is 'why is ice slippery'? The conventional answer is that through some mechanism or other, ice is slippery because a film of water occurs on the outside of the ice through the interaction with whatever object is on top of it.

This answer isn't satisfactory, we've only moved the question from 'why is ice slippery' to 'why does water on the surface of ice cause it to be more slippery'. Now you'll be forced to invoke the concept of friction, and it'll soon become apparent that you'll never get anywhere with this line of reasoning, because at some point you will have to concede that the explanation is 'that's just the way it works'. It's now fully become a philosophical question.

Of course, as you say, in day-to-day conversation most people would be satisfied with the answer that the layer of water on the ice causes it to be more slippery, but this is just an appeal to intuition, and it doesn't even hold in all cases.

This is why science doesn't concern itself with 'why' questions, but rather with 'how' questions. With 'how' questions you've implicitly established the framework you're using to explain any phenomenon, and you won't be forced to explain ad nauseam or cross into philosophical territory.

Take any of the fundamental forces, for instance. Nobody can answer you 'why' e.g. gravity works, the answer is that it's just a property of our universe. Most people (I hope) can tell you how gravity works, on the other hand.

Because gravity is a weak force ypu retatd. The constant comes from the fucking units ypu use.

What is love?

According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way that a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyways. Because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

why

Non-doctors have really no idea how much stuff in medicine is just "well it works..." without any solid idea as to why.

Exert yourself upon the world, find something that is not to your liking, and change it to your liking.
You may have to do a bunch of irrelevant shit first to gain enough power to change the thing you want changed.

>Why is there something instead of nothing

Because "nothing" is unstable

How aeroplanes stay in the air without flapping

The Earth's core is 6000K
The Sun's core is millions and millions of K
The Sun's SURFACE is 6000K
And the corona is thought to be heated by magnetic processes, but I don't know if that's proven yet

How to totally remove pee droplets from your junk.

Wipe it with toilet paper you savage.

this is utterly wrong. It has units which is a problem for quantum gravity/general relativity