Why do you hate this Veeky Forums?

Why do you hate this Veeky Forums?

A combination of it's popularity, it's fanbase, and it's crass, poor and uninspired writing.

>Why do you hate fanfiction-tier writing, Veeky Forums?

FTFY

I like it, granted I've only read the first book

Because it's a direct rip off of The Accursed Kings by Maurice Druon -- exactly every event that happens in the Game of Thrones is some stupid slight change from Druon's.

Because it disproved the fabled myth of pseudo intellectuals

1. too many dicks
2. subliminal messaging to induce a clinton vote.
3. Zombie invasion with white walker leading, is actually Martin and his avid gore fans.
4. wikipedia:
>During the growth of philological linguistic theory in academic Britain, abbreviating became very fashionable. The use of abbreviation for the names of J. R. R. Tolkien and his friend C. S. Lewis, and other members of the Oxford literary group known as the Inklings, are sometimes cited as symptomatic of this. Likewise, a century earlier in Boston, a fad of abbreviation started that swept the United States, with the globally popular term OK generally credited as a remnant of its influence

It's absolute shit and shit ain't great.

her cunt was the world or sumtthing

PERSONALLY I think the prose is awful and the story is really, like, teenage boy? I guess?

The more she cunt the cuntier she grew.

GOT defines the average 21st century normie's worldview. It's quite a dark and disturbing vision of human beings. And that's exactly what the powers of the spectacle want to impose on us, GOT is highly effective ideological neuroprogramming

Did it ever ocurr to that putrid carcass reeking of shit you call your brain that Veeky Forums isn't only one person?

t.nobody who never wrote nor sold a single book in his entire life and thinks his opinion about the matter is worth anything but shit.

>I was giving my opinion and not answering his question.
Nice reading comprehension, you author, you.

>someone who hasn't read The Accursed Kings series

C'mon. If you've read it, then proceed to read The Song of Ice and Fire, you'll realize how shitty GRRM is. Even when he's inspired enough to directly rip off other peoples' writing, he still proceeds to muck it up because it's still uninspired shit prose

I was always more of a sci fi guy

>Anyone who has not done x cannot criticize x

>GRRM gets on Veeky Forums /lit and is upset at what he finds.

its shit

because it's popular and i hate popular things because it makes me feel special

Fuck off /tv/

>Implying

I don't mind the books I do hate the "fans" who only discovered it through the TV show and wouldn't have cared about it if it weren't for HBO.

there is no highbrow high ground when we're talking about genre trash

you are just as much of a fucking pleb as the showfags and don't forget it

If you've been browsing and posting on Veeky Forums as long as I then you'd realize we've always had civil discussions on the books before it blew up in popularity.

It has a lot of "Easter eggs" but is not really fun to read. it also has thematic obsession with things, sometimes even words. you will open the second book and everyone is shitting themselves, you will open the 3rd book and everyone is pissing themselves, etc. its only 1 step above moontide quartet

>2. subliminal messaging to induce a clinton vote.

A Game of Thrones 1998

A Clash of Kings 1999

A Storm of Swords 2000

A Feast for Crows 2005

A Dance With Dragons 2011

Clinton announcing her presidential run: 2015

Please keep your paranoid delusions to yourself. Or are you a showbaby? That'd make sense.

The first two (three?) books were very good.

From there you could tell he just was getting tired and stopped giving a shit. It started focusing on all these characters that nobody gave a crap about, in story lines that were just dull and uninteresting.

I don't. I just find it to be a dull soap opera.

u wot m8?

I've read both in their original languages and ASOIAF is waaaaaaaaaay better as literature

its poorly written, and repetitive.
a hodge-podge of rehashed anglo-saxon and medieval english history and random fantasy, all copied from someplace else
>zombies
>dragons
Really? Its fucking fantasy. Cant you at least write a new mythical being, like Borges or Calvino?

3 fairly good pulp novels followed by reams of shit.

t. someone who waited years for feast for crows

it's a fantasy series for people who dislike fantasy. the books are terribly boring. there are too many pov characters, most of whom are uninteresting or just plain awful.

plebs get OFF MY BOARD

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Most of Veeky Forums doesn't know why ASoIaF. They've just been told it's bad. It's mediocre, but it's not because of the POV characters or some plebbiness.

It's just full of chaff. It's a soap, with plot for the sake of plot. It's boring.

>calls someone stupid
>followed by that post
Oh, ok.

I think you are half right.
>it's a fantasy series for people who dislike fantasy.
you are right
>the books are terribly boring.
I disagree
>there are too many pov characters, most of whom are uninteresting or just plain awful.
there are the minimum possible pov characters to tell the story. Some are indeed boring but that's because each of them has his or her own voice, and those I find boring could be tho ones you find more interesting.

i found the books to be super boring. i kept falling asleep trying to get through them, which doesn't happen with other books.

Motherfucker I read it when I was an ADHD-riddled thirteen-year-old. This sounds like a problem with you.

ASoIaF is one of those books that is directly engaging, like all wildly popular...anything. It's swords 'n murder 'n gossip 'n shit.

Not him, but I find anything plot based to be a snore after 300 pages.
That's why I love pulp stories, like Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser and Dying Earth tales. They are short and to the point. The quality isn't diluted for length.

They may not be your cup of tea. I find them engaging. There are also many layers to them so I've reread them in different languages, which I rarely do, and the depth and quality become clear when you aren't just turning pages "for the plot".

Except all the extra shit is pulp-style hooks a la "what's the next twist gonna be? stay reading to find out!".

Though to be fair I can't read a lot of the stuff I used to without just reading something else, so maybe I just don't know what it's like to read ASoIaF as an adult.

Yes, it's at the moment at least 3k pages too long. If he had a clear vision and worked towards the end from the start, it would have made a solid read.
Filtering a few characters, like Arya and Daenerys (sp?) would have helped a lot and kept the story focused and fast.

I can'[t think of a single character that hasn't had a fakeout death at some point in the series. That's the type of shit that every terrible fantasy writer does but for some reason Martin gets a pass on it. I'm tired of seeing nihilistic fiction from shitty leftist authors.

>people hating a book for different reasons.

Imagine that.

I'm saying they hate it for the WRONG reasons and they are WONG.

asoiaf does have cliffhanger chapter endings.

it never bothered me, and I guess it's for the best because I'm currently reading 1001 nights

i ve read it all
i still find it entertaining but thats because i was born knowing all of english history

Please go to your containment general. We're above this trite.

yeah, and you gotta be a five-star chef to know if a chef burned your steak

>GOT is highly effective ideological neuroprogramming
can somone elaborate?

Tfw I live in an age where opinions are considered wrong

First is pretty fucking well paced. The second is a shit-show of poor planning but the third one picks up again and might even be better than the first.4 and 5 are both fucking bores.

Hey look, guys! An autist!

Because it nourishes the worst part of the soul.