Did you know that Jack Kerouac was practically a NEET his entire life?

Did you know that Jack Kerouac was practically a NEET his entire life?

>"In 1950 he [at the age of 28] moved with his mother to 94-21 134th Street in Richmond Hill, Queens. The upstairs apartment they moved into is not far from the Ozone Park apartment. They would live there for about five years"

Who are some other famous literary NEETs?

Other urls found in this thread:

newyorker.com/magazine/1998/06/22/on-the-road-again-2
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Borges

He obviously wasn't a NEET?

Living with your mother doesn't axiomatically mean you're a NEET. He obviously was writing, and for all intents and purposes was pretty good at it too.

He barely worked throughout his life, only picking up part-time jobs when he had to. His elderly widow mother went to work full-time in a shoe factory while he stayed at home LARPing for millenials.

Well, he was also a massive alcoholic.

Kerouac was hot.

I loved the Beats when I was a teen.

Yummie !

OMG HE'S LITERALLY /R9K/

THOSE WHO BROWSE /R9K/ ARE EXACTLY LIKE JACK KEROUAC

THEY ARE LITERALLY THE SAME

>such an abject alcoholic his stomach literally explodes at 47
>still managed to write 20 books

how did he do it bros ?

Well he never edited and just wrote random shit while drunk

umm well what do you expect? there is no other way to breed your creativity into something concrete.

plus, that notion of 'neet' just approaches the thing from the wrong perspective, at least in that which concerns creativity.

Side question. How much of an alcoholic do you have to actually be to make your stomach literally explode at 47?

Asking for a friend...

you have to be at the point where drinking whiskey and malt liquor before noon and regularly rushing to the bathroom because you feel sick is a normal occurrence

Just looked it up myself.

>32-48 oz of beer or 4-8 oz. of liquor a day for 15 years.

That seems really, really low...

Ungodly amounts of amphetamine, obviously. Also explains his prose.

He was, with the exception that he looked like a movie star and got all the dick and pussy he ever could want.

He actually mostly exercised and drunk a lot of coffee in writing periods.

But people love drug myths, just like the fake Hemingway 'write drunk edit sober' shit while Hemingway explicitly said writing is one of the things you have to do sober.

So nothing alike then?

so roughly 4 drinks a day? where's your source on this?

well he was still normies reeee wagies reeee and sperging out a lot and being awkward and the like

he was just beautiful as well

Wait, seriously? I always figured that was the reason for his beige prose, that he just couldn't put forth the cognitive effort required to write something mechanically complex.

NEET is just a label normalfags use to justify their shitty lifestyle of barely making ends meet whilst their employer lives it high on the (capitalist) hog.

I'd rather be a NEET than take part in exploitation or be exploited myself.

yes I did realize this

my biggest problem with the beats was that they were able to live a life of adventure and pleasure (and self induced suffering) because they were all benefactors of fairly rich families.

The Kerouacs weren't rich like the Burroughs, but his family was able to support him when he needed it.

Also he moved in with them because he was going insane and was an addict, not because he simply refused to work. He worked like an old school bum when he wasn't writing, taking whatever job he could when he could

Kerouac was very much educated and trained, even if he eventually dropped university

neet is not living with your parents, but being financially dependent and doing nothing to change that - like shitposting all day, just like I do
I wouldn't call neet to anyone who spends their time writing or studying, even if at home by themselves and without pay

to be neet you have to be like me
I do nothing but shitposting and watching chinese cartoons

I bet his meat must've been nice and tender. Never ate a human but I've always wanted to try.

If you read what he wrote about writing you see that there was a method behind the madness.

To be NEET you need to not be (self)employed or be enrolled in any formal education. That's all there is to it.

yes but there's pejorative NEET (fat autist shitposting on /s4s/ all day) and enlightened NEET like myself (highly self-aware, genius-tier intelligence, spend their days pondering the truths of the universe)

>"Told my mother she ought to go live down South with the family instead of spending all her time slaving in shoe factories. In Russia they slave for the State, here they slave for Expenses. People rush off to meaningless jobs day after day, you see them coughing in the subways at dawn. They squander their souls on things like “rent,” “decent clothes,” “gas and electricity,” “insurance,” behaving like peasants who have just come out of the fields and are so dreadful tickled because they can buy baubles and doodads in stores."

newyorker.com/magazine/1998/06/22/on-the-road-again-2