Stupid questions thread

Post questions that do not deserve their own thread

my own question:
how can you find the maximum and minimum values of functions like cos^2(x) - cos(x) using derivatives?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=95kv5BF2Z9E
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If f has a extremum on a, then [math] f'(a) = 0 [/math].
So solving [math]f'(x) = 0[/math] gives you all the points at which f can possibly reach an extremum.

I'm no mathematician, so I can't explain it with fancy notations

you have a function, derive it. The f'(x) you now get, you equal it to 0, which gives you stationary points, if the derivative (tangent) is 0 it means that the curve is "changing direction"

after you equal it to 0, you get a value, say pi, when x=pi then the equation = 0, right, then you just evaluate it do a "sign study" (dunno the name in english), just a table, for example

x -inf value1 0 value2 +inf
equation.1 + 0 - - -
equation.2 - - 0 + +
equation.n - 0 + 0 -
f'x + 0 0 0 +
fx up min/max up

"0" are your min max, then you take the x value that gave you 0, evaluate it in your original function and you get the y value for that x, and you can draw the graph and shit

my makeshift table got fucked up, sorry about that

the general rule for this shit:
at points that are local maxima or minima, the derivative must be 0

so you just solve to find when the derivative equals 0, and and you have a small list of points which you can examine one-at-a-time to find out whether they're what you're looking for
some of these will just be local maxima, meaning they're the maximum for their nearby area but there's something higher than them elsewhere in the function. some of them won't be maxima or minima at all. so you need to evaluate all of them individually to see what's up

Freshman Physicist here. I took a side course in Physical Chemistry, and pic related appears in an explanatory text. Besides chemists being shit at writing, what do they mean by the notation and ?

I obviously haven't had any actual QM before, and also I realise the retardation of expecting well-explained QM from chemists.

Bra-ket notation
Its a physics thing actually

1 4 9 16 25
3 5 7 9
2 2 2

I know, as I said, I've only just started, so no serious QM yet. Does Bra-ket only refer to the "mean value"-brackets, or the entire notation with the "|"s?

Search for the extrema of t2-t on [-1;1] and solve for x in cos(x) = t

I meant t^2 - t

[math] | \phi \rangle [/math] is a ket, it's pretty much just a matrix, while [math] \langle \phi | [/math] is a bra, it's dual to the ket. when you see them put together like that, you're taking the inner product of whatever is in between them. It's kind of pointless using bra-ket notation (imo) unless you're actually going to use it, that is, to use it for more than just denoting inner products. But apparently that's just me.

thanks. Seems I'll just have to accept it for now and move on.

I am looking for a way to analyze a set of financial data particularly for a graphing/visualization technique. I have one main grouping of data that represents an indicator to buy or sell. I have an arbitrary amount of different data sets that should corroborate the indicator. Is there a way to visualize or quantify several sets of the corroborating datasets on top of the main indicator dataset? So that when looking through the main indicator and when it's given its signals to buy/sell, can I find a way to graph or visualize many additional data points regarding that data?

Damn you have a nice handwriting. Mine is shitty.

Are ozonides more unstable than superoxides? Wanted to make sure.

hah I wish, I took that from google, mine is beyond horrible, it was just to show the "teckenstudium"

I need to synthesize this compound, but I'm retarded.

How do I learn how to make tideglusib? I've searched all over the internet hoping to find anything from a well documented procedure to a shake-n-bake style recipe like the kind that meth cooks nervously scribble on loose napkins.

Can someone set me in the right direction in terms of learning just enough chemistry to be able to synthesize this on my own in a home lab environment?

I would just buy it online, but it's like $1000/g and I feel like, while it will take me an incredibly long, painstaking time to learn how to make it myself, it would probably be worth it. Also it genuinely interests me so it's kind of a pet project to motivate myself to learn more.

Actually I was wrong. It's roughly $3,000/g.

>pic related; more tideglusib to bump my dumb tideglusib question

How much math do I need to know before I stop being a brainlet? I only took calc 1 and 2 because they're mandatory for basically every science degree. I'm a bio grad.

You'd need some solid algebra. Unfornately as a bio grad I think you'll mostly do statistics.

I have 3 numbers, labelled as
>High:9
>Low:1
>Fraction:0.25
and an output of 3.

3 is 1/4th of the way between 1 and 9. I need to make this into a function but I'm a brainlet and it's making my head hurt.Can anyone help me?

(high-low)*fraction + low

[math]f(x,y,z)=x+z(y-x)[/math]

Thank you very much.

Any logicians in here?

Consider an interpretation S.

The universe of S is the set of natural numbers

S(P) is the set of even numbers
S(I) is the set of odd numbers
S(Q) is the set of prime numbers
S(R) is the set of multiples of 2

Now, I need to know which objects satisfy these formulas:

(Pa v Ia) = Any object in the universe will satisfy this one

(Qa ^ Pa) = Only the number 2 can satisfy this one, for it is the only even number that is also a prime

(Ra ^ Ia) = No object in the universe can satisfy this formula, since there is no odd number that is also a multiple of 2

(Ia -> ~Ra) = This is the one I'm having problems with, how do I determine which objects satisfy a conditional?

Thank you for your attention.

i have no idea what most of these logic words mean but wouldn't all odd numbers a also satisfy 'not a multiple of 2'?

> (Ia -> ~Ra)
> If a is odd then a is not a multiple of two.

Seems like a tautology to me.

So which objects satisfy that formula? Just the set of odd numbers?

Thanks for your help

A rigorous course in upper division algebra and/or real analysis.

All number satisfy the formula.

A(a) -> B(a) is true if you have both A(a) and B(a), or if A(a) is false (which can be simplified as B(a) or not A(a))

I am having some doubts while solving pic related.

I understand that its a linear diff. equation and that I can simply use the method of multiplying both sides by a integrating factor.

I am just not quite sure if what I am doing is right. And whats confusing me is the fact that I have a (-1/x) which is what I will integrate.

So how do I solve this one?

im in differential equations right now, exactly where you're at

i think this is how you do it

you can see my process from top to bottom, left to right

it might be confusing because i use commas

anyways you can see my process for finding the integrating factor without just using the equation

im not sure if it's right though

sorry last reply

looks like i got it right, pic related, but in the end result it keeps the x times the constant which should just be a constant i think so i dont know if you should keep it

oh shit i just noticed it's an initial value problem

if you plug in pi for x and 0 for y, you get C = -pi

so the actual answer is y = -xcosx - pi
i think

also i should tell you, just in case you don't know, that the point of the integrating factor is so that you can use the quotient rule in reverse

I ate a space cake and just for a laugh I decided to find by trial and error, the value whose log10 is exactly 3.5. Turns out the number is 3162.278.

Is there any significance to this?

>by trial and error
well i guess it signifies the fact that you don't understand logarithms

I dont really understand the part after ''...by the Chain rule...'' in pic related.

How exactly did he arrive to that?

do you not know what the chain rule is?

In this case you can sort of treat the ratio of differentials as fractions such as (a/b)*(b/c)=(a/c).

This implies that you can do some substitution or change of variables to do whatever it is that you want to do.

well memed user, you done?

???

How did he arrive to [3]?

Dumb ESL third worlder here. I'm doing a thermoconductivity test with thermocouples. What is the technical term in English for the thermocouple that meassures the temperature of the air around the sample (as opposed to a contact thermocouple, which touches the sample)?
I am using the term ''ambience thermocouple'', but I feel it's incorrect and google finds nothing about these terms.

Same poster.

So far I think what he did is that he multiplied the root by dx / dt and its basically (dx/dt)^2

This (dx/dt)^2 multiplies the 1 and the (dy/dt)^2 / (dx/dt)^2 and it cancels the denominator. And this would be the result...

Is this even correct or am I just dense as fuck?

sqrt(1+[(dy/dt)/(dx/dt)]^2)dx/dt
=sqrt([dx/dt]^2+[dx/dt]^2[(dy/dt)/(dx/dt)]^2)
=sqrt([dx/dt]^2+(dy/dt)^2)

Thanks mate

because the bit after "then the chain rule gives..." is literally the definition of the chain rule, user

Do isometries preserve minima of a parabola?

So I made the effort of going through hundreds of course material, solving dozens of example problems and writing a 70 page overview for my probability analysis class and was rewarded with an A+.
The prof made a public list with the results, omitting names (but including student ID numbers).
Today I got an email from one of the failing students asking if I could send her (obviously) a copy of my exam with the answers. I told her no, sent her my 70 page summary instead and suggested (nicely) that she should go over the prof's notes and go over some of the example problems.

What would you have done?
I believe sharing exam answers is immoral, I believe extorting money from them would be immoral (and unsuccessful; there are enough desperate guys out there with decent grades who would happily give out their exams for free) and I would never stick my dick in one of those particular females.

The insulation in a plate capacitor is comprised of two layers with thickness of 1mm and 2 mm, and a relative permittivity of respectively 4 and 6. Calculate the field strength in the thinnest layer when the capacitor is connected to a voltage of 5000V.

The answer is E = 2,14*10^16 volt/meter.

thanks

*How do I solve this?

Look up formula
Plug and chug
Get engineering degree
Suck some cock

Should I even bother understanding what an Equivalent is? Wikipedia says it's an archaic unit of measurement, it makes my head hurt and it seems dumb. Does it have a practical application in chemistry today?

Is x^2 - y^2 a perfect square binomial?

I never bothered to go deep into evolution, and this question is not bait.

I completely get survival of the fittest. But what about traits that aren't necessary to survive, but still are useful? How did they develop (well, mutation, I guess), and more importantly, sustain themselves?

Take for example our teeth: Some people aren't born with wisdom teeth anymore. They are redundant nowadays, but they also don't kill you or make you less suitable a sex partner, especially in modern society. So, how come they disappear anyway?

ya. 1 and 1.

(x + y)(x - y)

How do I write log(200) in terms of log(2) and log(5). Also where can how to solve these problems? For whatever reason I can never wrap my head around logarithmic functions.

I posted this question on reddit. This is the answer that I got.

>trying to cure your own autism

desu i'll take the bait
>Can someone set me in the right direction in terms of learning just enough chemistry to be able to synthesize this on my own in a home lab environment?
How much chem have you studied up to this point. How much experience do you have with synthesis. How much are you looking to spend on precursors. What kind of lab setup do you have in your garage.

Don't call yourself dumb in a stupid question thread.

From the laws of logarithms
1. log(ab) = log(a) + log(b)
2. log(a/b) = log(a) - log(b)
3. log(a^b) = blog(a)

So in your case:
log(200) = log(2^3 * 5^2)
= 3log(2) + 2log(5)

How do you pronounce FokI (enzyme)?
>F-O-K-One
>Fok-One
>F-O-K-i
>Foki
>Fok-i
Been working on my bachelors thesis for months now and I'm supposed to keep a presentation about it and I just now figured I have no idea how to say it out loud. The body comes from [F]lavobacterium [ok]eanokoites I'm guessing but I don't know what the "I" is from apart that it's probably a roman numeral 1.

On pic related I assume he took the derivative to calculate the limit.

But why? Did he really took the derivative? or did he do some re -arrange using some identity I dont know of atm?

No idea, but probably Fok-One. For example, you say Jak-Stat, not jay ay key etc and you should know how restriction enzymes names are formed.

L'Hopital's rule user

if the limits of f(x) and g(x) both go to 0 (or both to infinity), then lim f(x)/g(x) = lim f'(x)/g'(x)

Can someone explain toe how to solve a Bernoulli linear differential equation?

I get the idea but, yeah, it's not intuitive as to why 3.5 corresponds to that exact figure.

I'm new to computer programming but this has been bothering me since I started.

I remember reading that when you write a program the compiler takes your code and compresses it, translates it to machine language, sends your code to the CPU, the CPU then executes the instructions as fast as possible.

My question is what the fuck is exactly happening? How is the code compressed, how does my code get translated, what's happening on the hardware exactly, and how do the software and hardware interact?

I remember when I took a few courses in university for my major they just kind of handwaved the whole thing. Obviously I'm not expecting a someone to explain it all here but if you guys could point me in the right direction or some books on the subject that would great

What is the formal definition of implicit differentiation? All textbooks I have read just say to differentiate y like you are differentiating x and then put a y' next to it.

the number whose log10 is 3.5 is just the number you get by taking 10 to the power of 3.5 -- there's no trial and error necessary, you just need to type that one operation into a calculator

you can also look at 10^3.5 like 10^3 * 10^0.5, which is just 1000 * sqrt(10)

I'd recommend starting from the bottom up, are you familiar with things like logic gates and state machines?

I took like three classes in computer programming.

I don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about. Please forgive me I'm an idiot.

You're not an idiot, if you don't know about something, you don't know about it. The important thing is you want to learn, I imagine most people in those classes have the same question and aren't asking.

Logic gates are the basic digital circuit building blocks, here's an okay intro youtube.com/watch?v=95kv5BF2Z9E

After that start looking at combinational and sequential logic circuits, and finally state machines which a CPU basically is. Then look a little bit at assembly language and instruction set architectures, after that you should have most of what you need.

>1000 * sqrt(10)
Yes that makes sense now. I wanted it broken down like that - and to know the origin of this seemingly arbitrary ratio. It's the square root of 10. Seems obvious now.

what property of algebra allows:

(a + b) + c a + b + c

Thanks friend. Didnt know about that.

Commutativity?

Associativity is
(a + b) + c = a + (b + c)

Since these two are equal, we don't bother with parenthesis to distinguish them, and just write a + b + c (which wouldn't make sense if associativity didn't hold)

>Commutativity

ermm no? commutativity allows for exchange of positions, but what property of algebra allows the neglect of brackets, or order of operations in a sense.

so its "trivial" ??

>so its "trivial" ??

What do you mean by that ?

"well of course (a + b) + c a + b + c how else can it fucking be"

>ermm no?
Fuck you then.

Trivial means something that doesn't hold much information, not something that is easy or "natural".

Anyway, associativity doesn't hold in all algebraic structures. Sometimes, [math] (a + b) + c \not = a + (b + c) [/math] (of course, a, b and c are not "regular numbers")

2cos(x)*(-sin(x)) - (-sin(x)) = sin(x)*(1 - 2cos(x))
we need to find the points where the derivative is 0, as any other points are guaranteed to not be extrema, so x = n*pi, x = pi/3 + 2*n*pi, x = -pi/3 + 2*n*pi. Now, to classify the points, we take the second derivative. 2cos(x)*(-cos(x)) + 2*(-sin(x))*(-sin(x)) - (-cos(x)) = -2cos^2(x) + 2sin^2(x) + cos(x) = 2 - 2cos^2(x) - 2cos^2(x) + cos(x) = -4cos^2(x) + cos(x) + 2. Using the pythagorean theorem, we get (1-sqrt(33))/8 < cos(x) < (1+sqrt(33))/8 is a maximum, and otherwise is a minimum.

:(

How can one check if their possibly new results have already been published? I've checked Arxiv, and my searches provided no results, but the uncertainty is still present. Moreover, if I really had come up with something new, could I just upload it there?

The idea behind a CPU is actually pretty simple.

One one side you have registers (a memory array), and on the other side you have a list of instructions; in between, the CPU.

Instructions are like ; take the number at register 5, add it to the number at register 8, and put the result at register 2 (ADD 5, 8, 2).
There are few other arithmetic instructions, but all work the same way. Then you have instructions to tell you what is the next instruction to read (GOTO and conditional GOTO)

The CPU takes the current instruction, processes it, and then goes to the next one.

Of course in real life things are a lot messier, but that's all there is to the raw principle of CPU.

Compilation is the act of translating from a language into an other (which can be the instruction set of a CPU). So yes it takes your program and makes the same thing using arithmetic operations and goto.

> confirmed for brainlet who doesn't know what a CPU is.

Is a x ^ 0 "actually" 1, or is it just a "definition" - a sort of fudge to make the maths work?

I understand how say 10 ^ 2 is 100 and 10 ^ -2 is 0.01, making it intuitive to say 10 ^ 0 is 1, but is it inherently so, or was it agreed that we'd consider it to be 1 for the above reasons?

So the x^n operation is "n copies of x" times 1 (the multiplicative identity). x^0 is 0 copies of x.

Know your field

>Is a x ^ 0 "actually" 1, or is it just a "definition" - a sort of fudge to make the maths work?

It depends on what your definition of ^ is. But even with the basic definition of x^n is x*x*...*x n times (with n > 0),
it's somewhat natural to say x^0 = 1 because of what you said, so we say it's like so
(but be aware, x^-n is just the same, it was defined to be the inverse of x^n to make things work well, in some way).

We can also define ^ with the exponential function, and then x^0 is defined to be 1 without a need to go further.

Yes, before I'd seen a demonstration of 0.01, 0.1 (negative powers), 1, 10, 100, etc, that would have been my "intuitive" reasoning: that raising to the power of 0 is 0. Just like anything times 0 = 0.

It's not necessarily anything big, and this field is not practiced in my country. Therefore, I have no one to ask about it , and my knowledge is self-obtained. Nevertheless, I put some pieces together and would like to publish my stuff (which itself is correct) if possible.

If it is original work and you believe it to be worthwhile to the field post it. It may turn out that that result has already been found, in that case you have independently verified that result. Ergo it is still worthwhile to post.

Bra ket notation. |Ψ> is a vector, is a scalar product

x^0 isn't 0 copies of x, it's the "empty product" (it has in fact nothing to do with x, since it's empty). And the empty product must be 1, as you noticed.

In a maybe simpler way, say you multiply x^0 by x^n. That makes it x^(0+n) = x^n.
So x^0 = 1.

Thank you!