What are you studying right now?

Hi brainlets, this is a thread where we are posting what we are studying. Life is too short not to learn something new every single day. I'll start out by saying I am studying volumes by cylindrical shells.

I'm brushing up on some complex analysis, and then I plan to move onto some QFT.

be wary to call us brainlets when you're doing basic volume by cylindrical shells

brushing up some material today for my real analysis course coming up.

I knew that would bait you into replying! :D

Hopefully someday I won't be a brainlet anymore if I keep studying every day though.

Requesting pics of your work if you've got 'em.

Maybe I can be you someday.

>real analysis
I like how you think your silly first year course is any better than his silly first year course.

>real analysis
>first year course

shit, I'm in my third year doing introductory analysis. is there no hope for me at all?

>Maybe I can be you someday

You don't want to be me. It's awful.

Yurop here, the curriculum might not entirely overlap. It looks like so:

We take calc I in the first semester of the first year, and that goes from derivatives to integrals to basic multi variable (partial derivatives). We also get some intro proofing course here that just barely touches on analysis (it ends with basic topology and limits of sequences).

Calc II is then vector calc and multi variable in the second semester. We then also get Real analysis which handles continuity in the real numbers, then moves up to continuity between multi dimensional spaces, derivatives and metric spaces.

source: just a shitposting first year student myself

>calc in uni
I also live in Europe, we get calc in highschool. First year uni (for STEM courses) is real analysis, single variable. Second year is real analysis multivariable and complex analysis.

I failed uni, but I passed these three courses since they were awesome.

Yeah, we also get derivatives and integrals (of 1 variable) in highschool. Calc I is mostly a repeat with some extras and harder exercises.

Introduction of topology

10/10 course would recommend

t. Final year chem eng

Is the name of the course the same as the book? It isn't in my curriculum, but then again I study in a third world country.

Rn studying stereo chemistry of organic compounds, in third year of ChemE

Really good book of fluid mechanics etc. It is taught in our physics department aswell.

Course name is slightly longer, "Transport Phenomena in Chemical Engineering". Teaches you how to apply conservation laws to figure out velocity/stress/torque/mass flow/some other quantity of interest.

Apparently it's a topic that revolutionized chemical engineering to some degree, allowed for analytical solutions to be developed in areas that historically could only be investigated empirically.

It's standard for North American chem eng curriculums as far as I know. Hopefully you get to do it as well, it's interesting stuff. Cheers.

Reading a thesis that can summed up to how electrons in electron beams, interact with certain surfaces depending on their energy. There's a diagram representing electrons as balls that i'm not a fan of, but the information is pretty interesting.

I'm in 2nd year stats and we have our real analysis course in 3rd year. Can someone explain to me what you even learn in real analysis? I've read my schools course description but it's just jargon I'm unfamiliar with.

I am reviewing elementary linear algebra to learn how to solve systems of differential equations. A little boring. But I take real analysis, partial Diff Eq and abstract algebra next year so that's something to look forward to.

you're in your THIRD year of high school and you've only made it to real analysis? damn I'd say there's no hope

it's probably a baby "real analysis" where you basically just go through calc 1 and actually do epsilon delta proofs of everything

Clayden the GOAT

Pic related

fellowship apps for post doc...

phd theoretical physics...

post doc in EE...

Data structures, queues with integers and characters and printing the values into a file.

I've read through the first chapter of Spivak's Calculus because the calculus courses I took as an engineering major were hot garbage and I want to learn calc the real way.

Sheeeeit I wanna know what that additional property of numbers is.

comfy

Fundamentals of Nuclear Science and Engineering.

It isn't that hard but I am very rusty. I literally not had to touch calculus or derive anything in the last 8 years....

hey im doing the same thing

That sounds really cool man, cheers!

me too. autodidact recently started with wildtrig and some of wildlinalg/hoffman&kunze and mathfoundations doing all the exercises. also cataloging my musician archives/projects in terms of galois F13 (should study latex soon) and experimenting in nonconstant transposition and set theory considerations feeding into compositional theory/a e s t h e t i c s

looking forward to 6 years from now maybe doing signal processing speculating on stringtheory

i made a gif expressing chromogeometry a la wildtrig saved elsewhere

My course was quite differnt (Germany).
First semester (Analysis I) consisted out of the definition of naturals and rationals, then metric spaces and the definition of reals, after that limits.

Second semester (Analysis II) consits of derivatives in one variable, integration, limits of functions, multivariable derivatives, a bit about DEs.

There is also an Analysis III in third semester which is about integration in R^n and on manifolds. But we have no such thing as a class about proofs although most of the Analysis and Lin. Algebra focused on proofs.

If you continue in any field, preferably something STEM, with the mindset of understanding something new everyday you will be great. Continue on! A little advice: Don't get daunted when you see a large amount of things you don't know in the field you're pursuing. These fields have had very many intelligent people over a relatively long time to build upon them. To answer your OP: I myself am looking into applications of Operator Theory.

Real analysis concerns itself with convergence of sequences of functions under different ways of defining distance between each function. Most distance definitions work off of some type of "integration," where each type of integration is in turn defined off of some concept of measure. Good luck! If you're concerned about application, look into Fourier Series or Uniform Convergence which is defined, usually, in intro to analysis courses.

I'm gonna take a stab at it and say that Completeness is the property which is not assumed in your "P1-P12."

what book is this? I did some stuff on this topic last term and sort of scraped by but now i'm doing electromechanics and need to brush up hard on my calculus

>Teaches you how to apply conservation laws to figure out velocity/stress/torque/mass flow/some other quantity of interest.
not a chem guy, but what do you need that data for? is it on a molecular level or for something like making a piping system?

real analysis

I'm trying to figure out why suprema/infima are important

Woah

I'm literally doing the same thing.

differential topology is so cool

It's the Calc 2 portion of Stewart's calculus series dealing with series and integration techniques.

Their existence implies completeness, which is good for the existence of numbers like pi and e. Their use later on gives us such concepts as Taylor and Fourier expansions of some functions. Those expansions are guaranteed by a concept called Uniform Convergence which uses suprema/infima.

james stewart? Is it his early transcendentals book?

Image formation

fight me nerds

Real analysis 1 included epsilon delta proofs but also lots of other topics. It's been 4 years but these are some of the topics I remember:
- Cauchy sequences to construct the real numbers
- Differential and difference equations (also non linear)
- Fourier series (both continous and discrete)
- Taylor series
- Laplace and Z transform (+ how to use for solving differential and difference equations)
- Euler integrals (gamma & beta)

The lectures were focussed on proving theorems (Bolzano-Weierstrass, Rolle's, mean value, squeeze, ...)

Our prof showed us exam statistics. 78% of students failed on their first try.

Uh, not sure. I am familiar with those texts because a lot of universities in America use them for undergraduate non-math major calculus teaching. I'm not the guy who posted that pic. I think that should be it though.

DNS for my computer networking class

lol, Chemistry

you mean something I can easily learn in my spare time over the course of like two weeks

BJT amplifiers. Why are they superior to MOSs in every way?

Differential Topology is great. Have you studied anything about Morse Theory?

Statistical mechanics in Germany is the hardest thing I've ever done. Third year of undergrad.

>electrical conductance of a pretzel

i took/covered statistical mechanics as part of advanced thermodynamics with my retarded phd thesis adviser and it was piss easy.

I know just the very basics. I'm gonna dive deeper very soon though. My diploma thesis is on surgeries, where morse theory is essential I believe.

Imagine you're building an extruder for plastics and want to know what sort of throughout (mass flow) you can expect given the properties of the molten polymer. You could also use this stuff to figure out what sort of forces your extruder body and die would be subject to from shear stresses and pressure combined. You can also use transport to predict viscous dissipation behavior, which would let you know if/when your polymer would degrade under a set of processing conditions.

You can make some pretty detailed inferences from just applying these conservation laws, which beats the hell out of building a pilot plant to test it all.

Now for us these things are different. One is sweet one is salty, they are different shapes. But if you are a topologist there is only one thing that is really interesting with these things. This thing (the bun) has no holes, the bagel has one holes, the pretzel has two holes.”