What is the most depressing book you've ever read?

What is the most depressing book you've ever read?

Other urls found in this thread:

e-reading.club/chapter.php/135606/97/Takimoto_-_Welcome_to_the_NHK!.html
e-reading.club/chapter.php/135606/98/Takimoto_-_Welcome_to_the_NHK!.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>my
>diary
>desu

quite witty

Schoolgirl by Osamu Dazai

I kinda wanted to kill myself while reading Austerlitz.

Stoner is also not fun.

Cuore, read it as a kid and cried (kinda Stendhal'ed)

Anybody that claims to like this show I instantly dislike.. it points out common knowledge bullshit with an edgy "I realized this middle school philosophy in my twenties so I'm just too smart for everyone" overtone that is so hateable

Well it's only liked by reddit, who are mostly high schoolers.

what show is this

Bojack horseman

The Private Report on My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness

Post-war Japanese literature is pretty fucking depressing. Second generational stuff, too. Check out Medoruma Shun; I think he'll get more acclaim in the states once his stories are all translated.

Bojack is the best show. I really think you people are missing the point hard.

Its all the same every time, call out bojack for being edgy pseud bullshit, call out mr robot for being teenage atheist edgelord trash in a rational way and the faggot fans realize their shows are retarded so go to self defense rational mode "hurr durr thars the point xD"

>he doesn't act ironically retarded
Gay

LIKE WHATS THE POINT

Any holocaust survivor's memoir. All those Jews that Hitler failed to wipe out.

What's the point of acting ironically retarded? To put yourself above people? You sound retarded and half way there to self aware, therefor you try to put down the other retards with edgy ironic humor.

holy shit
Dub dubs

Holy shit
Dub dubs

If theres one thing dfw specializes in, it's making the reader depressed

That's actually not the point. You're doing a fair bit of projecting there.

>2 off from quads
Why live

I think its more of the mind you put yourself when you read

Infinite Jest and the Metamorphosis for me.

People get defensive because there's no reason to "call out" shit you don't like and generally act like a douche. There's really no reason to insult fans of popular things just because you don't like what they like.

THIS IS A NO CRITIQUE ZONE. NO BAD TALKING ALLOWED. NONE AT ALL. YOU WILL BE DOWNVOTED IF YOU SAY ANYTHING BAD TO INTERRUPT OUR CRITICALLY APPROVED CIRCLEJERK.

Kokoro, honestly

Diary of Anne Frank 🤷 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yeah see that, that is what I was talking about. There's a difference between critical of something or disliking it and just being an obnoxious prick.

>that is what I was talking about.

But it really wasn't. Stop lying.

childhoods end

Molloy is pretty fucking grim. The part near the end when the ball of bees just crumples in his hand is incredibly hopeless. Also somewhere in that 30 page monster of a first paragraph is the devastating sentence:

>Can it be we are not free?

Didn't know fiction could be so depressing.

Easily the most depressing book I've ever read (and even more so when you consider the fact that the author committed suicide a year after publishing it).

At least it convinced me to finally see a psychiatrist, where I got diagnosed with Bipolar 2.

Can you explain in more detail? Ive never seen it

Book of Disquiet.

Bojack season 3 might have been the worst season of television of any show ever. Absolutely vile.

Are you mad? The abortion song? The Heroin overdose? The ending with the herd running?

That show is fearless.

Is this like actually good? not to sound like a dick or anything, but it always struck me as the book edgy girls put on their snapchat stories so people can see them as deep.

A Fine Balance was pretty depressing
nothing gets better ever, or if it does its only so that you can be torn down even harder right after so you throw yourself in front of a train.

How likely is it that someone on Veeky Forums was offended by an abortion joke or a cartoon heroin overdose?

I meant mad in the "insane" sense, not the "U mad?" sense. Pardon my ambiguity.

probably not the most depressing, but i recently read No Longer Human and it was pretty shit

The recent book I've read to make me feel depressed at the end was The Heart of Darkness

Yes, it's worth reading. Whether other people like something or not should have no bearing on your opinion of it. Grow up.

fuck off lol. I've never liked Plath's poetry that much which is the big reason why I have no interest in The Bell Jar.

Oblomov

>watching horse version of mad men

in what fucking way does it resemble mad men motherfucker?

The whole thing with the horse

Yeah, really.
It is in no way like Mad Men.

Maybe the Princess Carolyn character who is the super-competent professional female sidekick character, but that's about it.

Kokoro fucked me up. also the last battle

The Idiot by Dostoevsky

ballsack the horse,man.

book of African American slave poetry that my friend had for a class she was talking. I didn't read the whole thing but it was fucking debilitating

Tjon

Why do you find this depressing?

It's like 80 pages, one rather tedious day in the life of a sensitive schoolgirl. What's so depressing about it?

Catch-22, the chapter on Major Major's childhood struck a nerve

The Bible.

Something Happened by Joseph Heller, it broke me.

Winter of our discontent is a close second.

Well, yeah, basically this, except I call it a journal because I'm insecure and/or 'diary' sounds girly.

Second pick would be The Diary of Anne Frank or Night by Elie Wiesl (or however his last name is spelt).

If I had to choose a non-diary or non-memoir type book... like a novel... I really don't know. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban hit me right in the feels when Harry's uncle went through that... portal... thing. He's never had a father figure, finally gets one, and he's gone just like that. My old man was and is an unrelenting bastard so the idea of having a father figure finally was nice, and I felt glad for Potter that he finally had one, only to have him lose it in the very same book. Yeah it sounds stupid, Harry Potter being depressing, but that aspect may or may not have made me cry as a teenager...

The Foundation Pit. Even for bleak Soviet lit it's unforgiving.

Yeah isnt more like Californication? Sadly I never got to watch that show though.

I, like everyone else on this board, don't know how to read. Sorry.

Darkness seems like such a cliche but somehow I felt the darkness enclose Marlow as he tired to comfort the fiancé. I had to sit and think about that book for a long while after reading it in a sitting.

Calvin and Hobbes

Is it great? I've been meaning to buy it, but decent translations in my language are pretty expensive.

Not even joking.

Same for the rest of the weekend I just couldn't get over that ending. Marlow comes back seriously messed up mentally and then comforts a fiancee who is so delusional.
And plus, he can't straight up tell her, Yeah Kurtz was a crazy bastard. The ending reminds of another book but I can't seem to remember. Nevermind. It was 1984 I was thinking of.

Yes, nice one desu

that chapter was the funniest part of the book though

Yea, this is a fucking sad book. Leave your assumptions about the text at the door and enjoy the ride.

Madame Bovary

War and Peace. Depressing because I wasted so much of my time reading that shit.

The Trigger Man

This, so this.

I read Stoner as a celebration over the human condition. Made me feel alive in a shared humanity, not especially depressed.

Welcome to the NHK. Not because of the actual book itself but because of the two afterwords. After reading this book about a poor Hikikomori (Japanese shut ins who completely cut off social life and pretty much live alone and isolated) the afterword was just a real kick in the balls. If you wanna read them, I found them here: e-reading.club/chapter.php/135606/97/Takimoto_-_Welcome_to_the_NHK!.html
and here: e-reading.club/chapter.php/135606/98/Takimoto_-_Welcome_to_the_NHK!.html

Also Oyasumi Punpun which is a manga but still fucking depressing. I don't know what it is, but the Japanese somehow manage to write stuff that can really pull you down. Almost as good as the Russians I'd say.

Fear and loathing in Las Vegas.
>Tfw can't trust drug dealers enough to not get shitty stepped on drugs and Vegas is now all wigger bullshit
Never said this before in my life until i read this book but it made me really wish I was born a baby boomer.

I agree. its maudlin whining hidden in cartoons fuck it. so mediocre

this desu, I get why it's ragged on but I read this at a low point in my life and could really identify with it

Fuck, is there anttging similar to it? Like, FUCK

Nobody cares faggot

Later works of Virginia Woolf, The Waves especially. It tries to capture an excited mood, but you can almost feel the inner struggle through the text. This one's kinda subtle though

great post, thank you

I couldn't even get through the first couple chapters of The Brothers Karamazov.

Journey to the End of the Night is the most depressing book ever wrote probably. This book can actually give you the will to kill yourself

>What's the point of acting ironically retarded?
Ask Socrates.

Haha, woah! That's my favorite show Browjack horsemen. It's such a dark show, and it really makes me think about my life. I really can relate with the horse character a lot.

Nineteen Eighty-Four. There isn't even any possibility of martyrdom or posthumous vindication. The only way Ingsoc can be overthrown is if the proles revolt, and the proles will never revolt. It is an eternally shitty present where nothing will ever change, Big Brother will always rule, and no one can ever escape. The End.

so sad

>Journey to the End of the Night is the most depressing book ever wrote probably.

not even close

That one chapter where Sato spends a week downloading cp was real fucking depressing to read.

But Socrates is actually retarded

so brave