Other urls found in this thread:

journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.0020439
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

lol what does biology have to do with computers

>bioinformatics

Fuck you

journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.0020439
You might want to read this.

Yeah math is part of any science, and it'll only get worse as time goes on. Get over it.

could you upload that folder somewhere please :3

> quantum agriculture

>that pic
>calling a question mark an "interrogation mark"

This is an American thing isn't it?

>Folder containing a folder that contains pictures of confused looking anime girl busts annotated with confusion marks

>what is genome sequencing
>what is systems biology
>what is love

I thought it was a pretentious brit thing.

>he never studied computational biology

I will send you a .gz of some illumina paired-end reads and let you try and assemble and annotate them without computation. That should give you some idea of why computational biology is a thing.

Scrap that, nowdays it's pretty much THE thing in biology.

undergrad with superiority complex

What's the difference between computational biology and bioinformatics?

kek

>metabolomics

same thing I think

There's a fair deal of overlap and the definitions vary.

I would argue that computational biology is concerned primarily with applying computational methods to biological problems, while bioinformatics is concerned primarily with the methods themselves. The former is a bit closer to biology and the latter a bit closer to computer science.

So for example the development of algorithms for say assembly or alignment is bioinformatics, while solving actual biological problems using e.g. network modeling is computational biology.

t. PhD in Bioinformatics

> precambrian hydroponics

>Not meme farming on a quantum level

Good explenation, and hello to a fellow Bioinformatics Ph.D

It's simply a Brit thing.

this desu senpai

>biologists literally took centuries to discover mathematics exists

>algorithmic genomics

Wouldn't you say bioinformatics is also more concerned with stuff like sequence analysis, while a computational biologist would typically do something more like molecular dynamics simulations?

Somewhat, but that's incidental.

The bioinformatician is more interested in novel algorithms and the computer science side (rather than the biological side) of the problems in general, and the rapid changes in sequencing technology over the last two decades (somewhat stabilising by now) meant there were many more algorithms to explore in sequence analysis.