Classical Music is Veeky Forums

I've gone through a phase with just about every genre there is, no matter how alternative or obscure, and I have come to the conclusion that classical (and baroque) music is the only music that is comparable to the literary experience.

It's ironic, as often there are no words, but it feels like the ideas being expressed by the music are just as vivid as lyrics, if not more. Well-made classical music pleases your brain with its timing and harmony, regardless of whether you want to like it or not. This is much like the effect of well-formed writing, when it flows with a pleasing and excites the brain with visceral vocabulary.

youtube.com/watch?v=NqAOGduIFbg

youtube.com/watch?v=quxTnEEETbo

youtube.com/watch?v=sGnxbWvpueE

The 'storm' movement from Vivaldi's Summer (the second of the four seasons after winter) recreates the feeling of a storm so vividly that you can feel it with all five senses. The movement even raises your adrenaline like a real storm does. It feels exciting and slightly terrifying at the same time, like a real storm does.

I would say that (good) classical music actually goes beyond the reach of literature in terms of the vividness and complexity of emotions it can illicit in an audience.

This is coming from someone who has always considered music pleb shit compared to lit, by the way.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DHBa2ANs0fo
youtube.com/watch?v=hdSMZTSRQNc
youtube.com/watch?v=YHicGx0iI0Q
youtu.be/EKzWefr7_C0
youtu.be/bsJYGbe3pPA
youtube.com/watch?v=CVG5R6sIobo
youtube.com/watch?v=g8-gdUKfVqw
youtu.be/iNAdOrp7XZ4
youtube.com/watch?v=zvmG2okLYSA&t=957s
youtube.com/watch?v=rDQD765iAYg
youtube.com/watch?v=utEzRXtjFiw&t=366s
youtube.com/watch?v=WR7IgPqscJE&t=1555s
youtube.com/watch?v=XFQ2oTYp5Z8
youtube.com/watch?v=JvNQLJ1_HQ0
youtube.com/watch?v=Nnuq9PXbywA
youtube.com/watch?v=mGQLXRTl3Z0
youtube.com/watch?v=RQoP9iLwoos
youtube.com/watch?v=IA88AS6Wy_4
youtube.com/watch?v=AXXM2aI2jOc
youtube.com/watch?v=XMVmQAW0CM8
youtube.com/watch?v=dbbtmskCRUY
youtube.com/watch?v=pEYajsa8NeM
youtube.com/watch?v=Hdc2zNgJIpY
youtu.be/pZZkxLY9uqc
youtube.com/watch?v=0bW7C8ulp8s&t=1387s
youtube.com/watch?v=LBYIxhnnQi4
youtube.com/watch?v=7CnElTjLsJo
youtube.com/watch?v=ug1oh9JG_DQ&t=478s
youtube.com/watch?v=RZjsdn_hlZI
youtube.com/watch?v=FvJDMnejMbU
youtube.com/watch?v=YUrsHWnpixo
youtube.com/watch?v=_NP_z6LmscI
youtube.com/watch?v=sPlhKP0nZII
youtube.com/watch?v=oO4HQvVhxPQ
youtube.com/watch?v=bv7P99OMu2M
youtube.com/watch?v=VUUElRVrTeY
youtube.com/watch?v=O5n4TbNMq1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=RGhfll2Ly6s
youtube.com/watch?v=-HxmlRrUlKo
youtube.com/watch?v=2JOShBSsql0
youtube.com/watch?v=KDJtBh3LGJg
youtube.com/watch?v=TZOYbuQE_Bo
youtube.com/watch?v=IoSuyUFiEYo
youtube.com/watch?v=M0d4qM7gCH8
youtube.com/watch?v=cwL4nSb9am8
youtube.com/watch?v=EB3IokHelRk
youtube.com/watch?v=-iVYu5lyX5M
youtube.com/watch?v=I7PzROTSSM0
youtube.com/watch?v=k2JHxWqVarc
youtube.com/watch?v=H3ygA12-ABo&spfreload=5
youtube.com/watch?v=EVqbl95Ezv4
youtube.com/watch?v=Ehbar90jHz8
youtube.com/watch?v=1CNBIJj1CFM
youtube.com/watch?v=Uka8ykFDw2U
youtube.com/watch?v=kpXlCheiXY8
youtube.com/watch?v=WamJfADBKQU
youtube.com/watch?v=-gCLpbaaRRA
youtube.com/watch?v=2eBnfzngq9Y
youtube.com/watch?v=xN_qFNlGCfs
youtube.com/watch?v=ZnIDTOR9EkM
youtube.com/watch?v=Xdl0m1v5el8
youtube.com/watch?v=tkhwK5YEksI
youtube.com/watch?v=wtVFbmi9meQ
youtube.com/watch?v=FmeOkfhkqa4
youtube.com/watch?v=WbOKlBFVHNM
youtube.com/watch?v=COGcCBJAC6I
youtube.com/watch?v=buphLvhen2g
youtube.com/watch?v=ZnMGP1maBBk
youtube.com/watch?v=5JYuOMhbcO0
youtube.com/watch?v=i4B1ifcWa9o
youtube.com/watch?v=aAcYjH_mV1o
youtube.com/watch?v=RJRvYA7qT7g
youtube.com/watch?v=7FRYoBy7iT8
youtube.com/watch?v=qzBwa2jI1Oc
youtube.com/watch?v=pijC8wU6sDA
youtube.com/watch?v=78KtEjdAszw
youtube.com/watch?v=t2VY33VXnrQ
youtube.com/watch?v=TXGqsyBtq38
youtube.com/watch?v=THJdkHza1WI
youtube.com/watch?v=zu0Y2FyHfxM
youtube.com/watch?v=Xf2jGSvsA7c
youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7DRQJ5R1c
youtube.com/watch?v=MD6LaamsDJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=DS0dtCRGyeE
youtube.com/watch?v=5RMv9I9C5H4
youtube.com/watch?v=IqOruWOKMWM
youtube.com/watch?v=HXEZmkOyNz0
youtube.com/watch?v=skZ83YNrbUA
youtube.com/watch?v=C2dXTfjYPbE
youtube.com/watch?v=jF1OQkHybEQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Nn0MRCmJyQo
youtube.com/watch?v=meXaMne3IQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=km0mOMyYHKE
youtube.com/watch?v=-Uyk2z5SnHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=IFBEK5Xks6c
youtube.com/watch?v=ru69J25ztMU
youtube.com/watch?v=2X2bbusaOzI
youtube.com/watch?v=asJf3KmAg08
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I do like old classics, and i listen to them often.
however lately i've found artists that have just as nice a sound to them as some other Victorian era music.

Listen a bit to it OP and maybe you'd like it, and look up more of the artists if you like it

youtube.com/watch?v=DHBa2ANs0fo

youtube.com/watch?v=hdSMZTSRQNc

first for telemann

classical>baroque>romanticism

Listen to yoshimatsu's memo flora piano concerto.

Praise your good taste, fampai! Sharing with you this piece, lets rejoice in our superior art choices which make us better than the other pesants (for today at least :D :D)
youtube.com/watch?v=YHicGx0iI0Q
B A R O QUE O P

Op if you're on a Baroque kick then up your game with some John Bull or a more modern take by John Holloway -- Pavans and Fantasies and Basically Bull are pretty good releases...

Check out A.C.R.O.NYM Oddities and Trifles for some really good Baroque...

Non lo so...these days I'm more interested in recent work by Ades, Adams (Absolute Jest is great), Johnston, and Rautavaara's work (RIP) are great...good things happening in classical these days if you search it out.

youtu.be/EKzWefr7_C0

John Adams:
youtu.be/bsJYGbe3pPA
Thomas Ades:
youtube.com/watch?v=CVG5R6sIobo
John Holloway:
youtube.com/watch?v=g8-gdUKfVqw

ACRONYM playing Valentini Sonata a 5 in Gm ...fucking incredible. Listen to how he created an echo effect with the violins starting at :43...
voglio andare al venezia adesso grazie...
youtu.be/iNAdOrp7XZ4

sorry but it sounds like anime music

I know that the romantic era is seen as the least artistic in this thread, even though it's not explicitly said, but there is nothing in the world more satisfying than reading russian literature while listening to russian classical music

youtube.com/watch?v=zvmG2okLYSA&t=957s

youtube.com/watch?v=rDQD765iAYg

youtube.com/watch?v=utEzRXtjFiw&t=366s

youtube.com/watch?v=WR7IgPqscJE&t=1555s

Here is some GOAT Baroque for you:

youtube.com/watch?v=XFQ2oTYp5Z8

youtube.com/watch?v=JvNQLJ1_HQ0

youtube.com/watch?v=Nnuq9PXbywA

youtube.com/watch?v=mGQLXRTl3Z0

>I would say that (good) classical music actually goes beyond the reach of literature in terms of the vividness and complexity of emotions it can illicit in an audience.

Absolutely:

youtube.com/watch?v=RQoP9iLwoos

youtube.com/watch?v=IA88AS6Wy_4

youtube.com/watch?v=AXXM2aI2jOc

youtube.com/watch?v=XMVmQAW0CM8

youtube.com/watch?v=dbbtmskCRUY

youtube.com/watch?v=pEYajsa8NeM

youtube.com/watch?v=Hdc2zNgJIpY

tsk tsk... Russian romanticism and no discussion of perhaps the most famous Alexander Scriabin or early Stravinsky?

Expand your footprint west and dig Grieg, Sibelius, or head to Vienna with Mahler and Webern...

youtu.be/pZZkxLY9uqc

and?

How could i forget

youtube.com/watch?v=0bW7C8ulp8s&t=1387s

youtube.com/watch?v=LBYIxhnnQi4

youtube.com/watch?v=7CnElTjLsJo

Some Grieg, Sibelius and Mahler (not really into Webern)

youtube.com/watch?v=ug1oh9JG_DQ&t=478s

youtube.com/watch?v=RZjsdn_hlZI

youtube.com/watch?v=FvJDMnejMbU

I have a taste for Catholic Masses. Don't know why, I'm an Atheist of the Nietzschean type, but nothing hits me like Catholic Missa.
Mozart: Mass in c minor
youtube.com/watch?v=YUrsHWnpixo
Mozart: Coronation Mass
youtube.com/watch?v=_NP_z6LmscI
Mozart: Requiem
youtube.com/watch?v=sPlhKP0nZII
Mozart: Missa Solemnis
youtube.com/watch?v=oO4HQvVhxPQ
Mozart: Missa Brevis
youtube.com/watch?v=bv7P99OMu2M
Beethoven: Missa Solemnis
youtube.com/watch?v=VUUElRVrTeY
Mahler: Symphony 8
youtube.com/watch?v=O5n4TbNMq1Q
Verdi: Requiem
youtube.com/watch?v=RGhfll2Ly6s
Rossini: Petite Messe Solennelle
youtube.com/watch?v=-HxmlRrUlKo

Anime music is the Veeky Forums music of the modern day.

I quite like ambient or drone music when I'm reading or writing. I also love contemporary classical stuff like Glass or Arvo Part.

How about some Old Roman Chant, Gregorian ruined Christian chant for me.
youtube.com/watch?v=2JOShBSsql0
youtube.com/watch?v=KDJtBh3LGJg
youtube.com/watch?v=TZOYbuQE_Bo

And of course some Templar chant:
youtube.com/watch?v=IoSuyUFiEYo
youtube.com/watch?v=M0d4qM7gCH8

Why no romantic? Chopin is so good.

Something more modern
Ravel: Pavane for a dead Princess
youtube.com/watch?v=cwL4nSb9am8
Aram Khachaturian: Gayane Ballett Suite
youtube.com/watch?v=EB3IokHelRk
Gyorgy Ligeti: Lux Aeterna
Arvo Pärt: My Heart's in the Highlands
Steve Reich: Proverb

This thread is reddit and underage as fuck

Real men listen to Beyonce.

>classical (and baroque)
I like metal (and death metal).

>listens to the Four Memes, Rondo alla Meme and some other Memezart and now he's going to explain all of that shit to us, the relationship between music and writing and how classical music causes emotions

Your enthusiasm is nice, but it's obvious that you are new to classical, and you should take this to /mu/. The dead /classical/ threads could use some more activity.

That Lux Aeterna is modern garbage I M H O.

youtube.com/watch?v=I7PzROTSSM0

>I would say that (good) classical music actually goes beyond the reach of literature in terms of the vividness and complexity of emotions it can illicit in an audience.

lol. what.
yes, and sometimes pulp-novels impact and nicki minaj impact an audience greatly

youtube.com/watch?v=k2JHxWqVarc

youtube.com/watch?v=H3ygA12-ABo&spfreload=5

youtube.com/watch?v=EVqbl95Ezv4

youtube.com/watch?v=Ehbar90jHz8

youtube.com/watch?v=1CNBIJj1CFM

youtube.com/watch?v=Uka8ykFDw2U

youtube.com/watch?v=kpXlCheiXY8

youtube.com/watch?v=WamJfADBKQU

youtube.com/watch?v=-gCLpbaaRRA

youtube.com/watch?v=2eBnfzngq9Y

youtube.com/watch?v=xN_qFNlGCfs

youtube.com/watch?v=ZnIDTOR9EkM

youtube.com/watch?v=Xdl0m1v5el8

youtube.com/watch?v=tkhwK5YEksI

youtube.com/watch?v=wtVFbmi9meQ

youtube.com/watch?v=FmeOkfhkqa4

youtube.com/watch?v=WbOKlBFVHNM

youtube.com/watch?v=COGcCBJAC6I

youtube.com/watch?v=buphLvhen2g

youtube.com/watch?v=ZnMGP1maBBk

youtube.com/watch?v=5JYuOMhbcO0

youtube.com/watch?v=i4B1ifcWa9o

>the three pieces I posted must be the only three pieces I know

Already I can tell you're retarded

There is nothing wrong with liking pieces that are well known. They are well known for a reason.

Classical is a genre where some composers are literally objectively better than others. Why would anyone feel any shame in liking some of the objectively best work there is?

I know you probably feel like you 'fit in' with Veeky Forums with posts like that, but I think anyone would agree that the worst part about Veeky Forums is the amount of posters who post for the sole purpose of sounding superior. At least bring something else to the table while you're at it, if you're going to be a faggot.

Has any user here listened to the Dear Hunter? A 5 Act conceptual Album set in the years sorrounding the First World War. The way the artists tell stories through the music is incredible

thanks. listening through these while editing

Bach's Art of Fugue is the peak of music.

This! Being new to classical music is no shame, but it's reasonable to doubt OPs ability to judge music compared to literature as a whole, when he just posted the /mu/ starter kit as his favourites.
(Kudos for great taste though, that's always something... At least he isn't posting the film music always appearing on those classical music hit collections.)

Oh, and by the way, can anybody explain to me the adoration of relatively early classical music(Baroque and Classical) compared to Romantic music that is almost always going on in classicalthreads on Veeky Forums? (This thread is probably a poor example of that though.)

Well, as I said here You started out acting like you can judge music as a whole, while proving in no way any broad/deep knowledge of classical music. You were asking to have your dick measured m8.

youtube.com/watch?v=aAcYjH_mV1o

>contemporary German music, which is romanticism through and through and most un-Greek of all possible art forms—moreover, a first-rate poison for the nerves, doubly dangerous among a people who love drink and who honor lack of clarity as a virtue, for it has the double quality of a narcotic that both intoxicates and spreads a fog
>what would a music have to be like that would no longer be of romantic origin, like German music—but Dionysian?
Did jazz and rock answer his question, /mu/?

Did you really mean Dionysian and not Apollonian there?

Yes.

Makes sense...

I just chose pieces that I thought would help my point.

The four seasons is notorious for its word painting. I honestly cant think of any piece that creates such vivd imagery. Like I said, its famous for a reason.

As for Mozart, I find that his music has so much character. Every piece has such a strong emotive centre, which is what I wanted to compare to writing. I feel like mozarts work SAYS something, more so than any other composer. And, in what I correctly guessed was a controversial opinion, I believe that Mozart's music says more than any actual writing can.

If it feels like I'm sucking Mozart's dick then that's fine. He is my favourite composer. If this rustles you because he is a household name then that's cool.

Tell me this though. When you listen to a mozart piece, like the two I included in the OP, do you not feel as though you are listening to something approaching genuine inspiration? His music feels otherworldly. While other artists might sound inspired, Mozart's pieces sound like the very songs of the muses themselves. In less faggy terms, his music sounds perfect; not a note out of place. It could not be improved on.

Also for the record, I have formal music training. I learned classical guitar and general music theory all the way through grade 8. I have composed my own stuff too. I know that I come across as a pleb, but honestly its just because I have a tendency to admire the grates, and I dont feel any shame in doing so. I can't stress enough, they are great for a reason.

patrician music coming through

youtube.com/watch?v=RJRvYA7qT7g

I agree, the greats are great for a reason in classical music. Very much so when it comes to composers, and less so when it comes to pieces.
And Mozarts music really convinces you that he was a natural, not just because of the high quality. :)
I'm still convinced that there are vast amounts of lesser known pieces that says just as much when listened to, but do not appear on my grandmas Collection CDs. And that you really haven't listened to enough of that music to say the things you did in the OP. Then again who has?
I think I'd just expect a guy with authority on the subject to have heard the two first pieces in the OP too many times to really be enthusiastic about them. Maybe I'm just projecting my own experiences here. Anyway, as I said, those are all good pieces, and it's nice to see genuine enthusiasm on this subject. I'm a shitty, but pro musician myself, and lots of my colleagues really aren't people who would listen to classical if they weren't forced to play violin as kids, and a sad amount of them think Mozart is boring.
You sound pretty cool, but knocking music as a whole is something I've just never understood.

Don't know if this has been posted anywhere, but it is GOAT Mozart that is slightly less well known.

youtube.com/watch?v=7FRYoBy7iT8

>This is much like the effect of well-formed writin

formalist pleb

Thanks, will listen when there aren't people sleeping in the room next to me.

>I think I'd just expect a guy with authority on the subject to have heard the two first pieces in the OP too many times to really be enthusiastic about them

I took a long time away from listening to anything classical, so I'm kind of rediscovering it. I guess I was always told I should enjoy it, so I never really figured out on my own why its so good, if you catch my drift.

I know what you mean. I liked the classical music I was exposed to when I was a kid, but it was only later, in my teens I really started to have a genuine interest/fascination with the great composers. Many of my colleagues seem like they don't have that interest, and they enjoy the music, but... Ah, it's hard to explain... There are lots of reasons to do it, and it's fine, and one can be a great musician and all that crap, but it just weirds me out when a person playing symphonic music professionally listens to shit music when at home. I love it when people are actively starting to appreciate and explore classical music. And to try and not sound like an old idiot I won't say that too few people has an interest in it, just that there are lots of people you would expect to have an interest in it, that apparently do not.
(There... I just said the same thing ten times...)

youtube.com/watch?v=qzBwa2jI1Oc

youtube.com/watch?v=pijC8wU6sDA

youtube.com/watch?v=78KtEjdAszw

>Oh, and by the way, can anybody explain to me the adoration of relatively early classical music(Baroque and Classical) compared to Romantic music

Classical and Baroque music are awesome, millions of great words about them (I love romantic too), so I can only guess that it has to do with, potentially the formers being more ideal to read and write too, and potentially also fits their formalistic style, and general patrician vibes.

It truly is awesome. And those explanations might be fulfilling to an extent, it's just I've also seen the same tendency on /mu/. It wouldn't be far fetched to believe that those vibes are what really makes them a favourite on /mu/ and Veeky Forums, where everything is about being better than eachother.

I like it all, but can understand why people can prefer to spend their time listening to baroque and classical (lots of baroque and classical music, lots of good and great, lots of styles and types of arrangements and historical instruments, lots of moods and vibes, lots of good background, decorations etc)

youtube.com/watch?v=t2VY33VXnrQ

youtube.com/watch?v=TXGqsyBtq38

youtube.com/watch?v=THJdkHza1WI

youtube.com/watch?v=zu0Y2FyHfxM

Bach > Modernist/Nationalist > Schumann (excluding his symphonic works) > Late Baroque > Medieval/Renaissance > Romantic > Classical > Contemporary > Other eras

Not necessarily meaning that the ones on the lowest orders are bad by any means, but that's how it goes.

Also, some examples for anons who might not know the movements and would like to listen:

>Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=Xf2jGSvsA7c

youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7DRQJ5R1c

youtube.com/watch?v=MD6LaamsDJ8

>Nationalism

youtube.com/watch?v=DS0dtCRGyeE

youtube.com/watch?v=5RMv9I9C5H4

youtube.com/watch?v=IqOruWOKMWM

youtube.com/watch?v=HXEZmkOyNz0

youtube.com/watch?v=skZ83YNrbUA

>Modernism

youtube.com/watch?v=C2dXTfjYPbE

youtube.com/watch?v=jF1OQkHybEQ

>Schumann

youtube.com/watch?v=Nn0MRCmJyQo

youtube.com/watch?v=meXaMne3IQQ

youtube.com/watch?v=km0mOMyYHKE

>Late Baroque

youtube.com/watch?v=-Uyk2z5SnHQ

youtube.com/watch?v=IFBEK5Xks6c

Bruckner is quite lit imo, very story like, epic, journey, 7 and 8 ( heck maybe 3 too) are like novellas

youtube.com/watch?v=ru69J25ztMU

youtube.com/watch?v=2X2bbusaOzI

youtube.com/watch?v=asJf3KmAg08

Beethoven's Op. 125 is literally the most perfect thing to have ever been written by anyone.

>beethoven memeth memephony
The only good part is it's adagio

Listening to some Leonard Bernstein right now (West Side Story lol)