Which is better, Fahrenheit 451 or 1984?

Which is better, Fahrenheit 451 or 1984?
I have them both, but which should I read first

F451 is a terrible book. Its elementary school-tier with nothing profound or interesting.

I hated it.

1984 is pretty good.

I've only read 1984, but Fahrenheit 451 was actually mean to be taken as a thought experiment about a world where people didn't read books rather than totalitarian.

1984 is way better, but F451 is alright for a quick little read.

Fahrenheit is shorter, way shorter than 1984, and I really think that with books it's not about "which book is better", but about the ideas in it, be it 10% or 70% of the book.
Now, 1984 certainly includes way more ideas, and it's a larger, quite tyring read.
But then, maybe you should read Fahrenheit just as an introduction. Keep in mind 1984 contains much more, so hope you don't quite after reading Fah.

1984 is way more intense, 451 is just a stupid premise beaten to death.

1984 is one of the best books ever written, it's an EXPERIENCE, to read it.

I see a lot of Fahrenheit bashing so I'll come in its defense, sure it's much smaller in scale than 1984 but, the writing has this vague out of touch PKD style which I personally really like and know a lot of others like as well, also it has some interesting intellectual ideas which are put forward with emotional sincerity and beautiful metaphors, I'd say it's not as good as 1984,but is very much an enjoyable little read, for your question though I have to say that starting with 1984 is the better choice.

smaller in scope*
sorry

1984 is better, but don't bother with either. Just play Metal Gear Solid desu.

The real answer is neither
read We

I'd say that 451 has the worse prose, but a much better story.

1984 was just an essay bloated to novel size

>elementary school-tier with nothing profound or interesting.

1984 and BNW coast too much on their implausibility. At least 451 is somewhat believable and deeper than just "look how bad future society sux"

>1984
>implausibility

FUCKING NIGGER ARE YOU FUCKING RETARDED LOOK AT THE US ELECTIONS FOR FUCK SAKE CLINTONS COLLUDING WITH ESTABLISHMENT JEWS AND MEDIA IT'S TEXTBOOK OLIGARCHAL COLLECTIVISM AND USA'S PERPETUAL WAR IN THE MIDDLE EAST AND POSSIBLE WAR AGAINST RUSSIA IS THE REAL LIFE 'WAR IS PEACE' HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU BE SO RETARDED TO NOT OBSERVE THIS YOU ILLITERATE NIGGER

>this is what ideology does to your mind

check 'em

dubs of truth

1984 is about the soviet union under stalin you dumbshits

Not keen on either. 1984 is another didactic novel that whines about how technology and totalitarianism will turn make life in the future shitty.

States such as Airstrip One already existed at the time the novel was written and already exist today. Maybe the war stuff is kind of implausible but even with that it isn't clear if that's explicitly true or not.

This. Burdekin's "Swastika Night" is good too.

Crudely stated, but not wrong

This, actually.

1984 will tell you more about the human drive for political power than any other single book.

Fahrenheit 451 will tell you that reading is good, and that censorship is bad.

I hope this is a joke.

I enjoyed F451 much more than 1984.

>the ban of all books is more plausible than totalitarianism
okay

I'll second this, since everyone else is shitting on F451.

Yes, it's 11-13 year old stuff, but the book is solidd as a thought experiment and has some compelling scenes about the dangers of individuals not reading that neither 1984 nor BNW really develop, although those are certainly better and more advanced books. In particular, I think of the scene where the fireman main character takes a book he kept, and reads "Dover Beach" aloud to his wife and her friends, who promptly freak the fuck out as they are overcome with emotions. It feels eerily prescient in the context of the debate over trigger warnings, that people just can't handle and are indeed traumatized by ideas that challenge their worldview.

It was also a cautionary tale about the very live issue of McCarthyism, and does suffer from being too on the nose in that respect.

I wouldn't go back and read it again, I think I was 11 or 12 when I read it, but it's not throwaway garbage.

It's been a long time since I read Fahrenheit 451, but I remember it more being about how society had become completely superficial, commercialized and oblivious to information that meant anything, to the point that real human connection was nearly impossible. 1984 is a lot more thorough but 451 was more than just about bookbanning.

Still haven't read 1984 but F451 is a really light read so I'd just get that over with first.

I loved F451 when I was a teenager. I remember one detail that really stuck out to me that nobody else seems too bothered by was the wife's obsession with her fake tv family, her creepy one-sided love for them. The next morning I was riding to school with a radio morning talk show on in the car and realized that it was almost the exact same concept, which was really unsettling.

That's basically where Bradbury got the concept for the book actually, a couple walking around more invested in their radio than each other and whatever. Good eye!

I'm starting that now. It's really not that far fetched in a way

Hated F451 the first time I tried reading it, but I'm giving it another go now and it's a lot better than I remember. It's a nice, unchallenging read.

You're right tho

1984 has more thought put into it than Fahrenheit 451 does.