Hello. I have a cipher that needs to be solved...

Hello. I have a cipher that needs to be solved. I have been sat for hours attempting to decode this but have not been able to.. maybe somebody on this board will be of some help. In the pastebin is a link to all the numbers, and yes the last character does seem to be a flipped 9. Maybe it's some kind of key?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/rFFYHa71
danfretwell.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The pastebin link with all of the numbers can be found here pastebin.com/rFFYHa71

What have you tried so far?

Getting the sum of each row/column, linking the numbers to letters in the alphabet A=0, Z=26 (but that doesn't work since the numbers are 0-9).
Latin Square (that doesn't work since numbers appear more than once).
I've really been working on the other ones more. I still have no idea what the final character is for.

If you think it would be beneficial and other people are going to work on this we could talk outside this board

what does the plaque on the lower left hand side say?

Is this a piece of art? are you sure it is something meaningful?

Yes I am sure. A series of 5 paintings was released in the town I live in, each lead to a location where "treasure" is hidden. The plaque however is insignificant to the problem itself.

Analysis of the frequency of each number 1-9.

Is this at a museum or gallery?

The numbers 6 and 9 seem to play a big role, which is worthy of note since the final character is a mirrored "9"
This is at an art gallery

Cool. Which gallery? Do you know who the artist is?

The person behind it all is "Luke Jerram" I'm sure you could find out all about it from that

Thanks. Good luck with the solution

any updates?

I figured it out

Nice!
How did you do it?

There is no right answer to a sample of crypto this short given that there's absolutely no context.

Just start with a plain text of your choice, possibly of even a different length, and work backwards, and you're guaranteed to find a key in some crypto system that matches your results.

Worst case, just claim it's a 1 time pad.

This also raises issues when people "brute-force" hard drive crypto for example. The odds of an alternate short key deciphering a whole partition to an alternate, yet fully functional hard drive partition, are small yet not zero.

How?

Sent you a PM :)
(posted 2 years ago)

The method is too long to fit into 2000 characters.

What would the solution look like? Coordinates? Plain text?

I don't know, all I know is that it was made by a mahts proffessor and leads to a location
wat

I remember some code relying on:
* 26 chars plus
* 10 digits
= 36 glyphs in some "alphabeth matrix" with 6*6 width and height. encoding started at upper left of the matrix, and one wrote two digits per character, e.g. "2 4" meant "for next char move 2 right and 4 down". with 6 rows and 6 columns in the matrix, 5 meant "one left" or "one up", and "digit greater six" were the same as "digit modulo six", making 7 having the same meaning as 1, 8=2 aso.
matrices often started a-z followed by 0-9.

the website of the mathematician that developed the cypher
danfretwell.com/

if you can crack it, and are within 1000 pounds worth of travel from Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire, then you should probably keep the answer to your self.

it is reportably a months worth of work for a skilled cryptographer to find all 5

Hmmm let's see... it reads

>haha hey guys, let's post this, some poor fucker will get obsessed and waste all their time on it :D

No they probably want to see if you still have the aptitude to work for them. But you obviously don't care about working for them any longer.