/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

SFFG Discussion Edition

We had a good discussion going on last thread, lets continue.

Fantasy
>Selected: i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
>General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
>Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/

Science Fiction
>Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
>imgur.com/a/90laS
>General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/
>i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/22878967-the-shadow-of-what-was-lost
pastebin.com/p1F2YeGJ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>one good book
>next is about magic making you fat
>third has the main character as an observer
I take it back fuck Robin Hobb and soldier's son

Exact same thing the Fitz books did, draw you in with an interesting tale and then descend into misery

Hobb's idea of the hero's journey is one book for introduction and then a descent into misery. It's how all of her series go.

It's not fun conflict, it's just the protag being fucked by stuff they can't control over and over

>How many sides are there?
That can actually affect shit from a distance?
Probably 3, the good "gods" the bad "gods" and Orholem himself.

That are fighting? the Broken Eye group, good "gods", bad "gods", orholem?, Andross, Kip, the broken stone librarians?, etc etc.
They all have their own motives, it's only time that will tell what will happen. Last book might be split, too much shit to resolve in one book.

Oh don't fucking tell me there will be 6 books

Currently rewatching pic related, and was wondering if there is any book or book series that is similar to the series.

I want an extra fix of mistery and strange scientific organizations researching cryptic shitt.

If you're into manga check out btooom

I enjoyed The Feast Of St Dionysus by Robert Silverberg, a novelette of about sixty pages. A burned-out astronaut, after returning a Mars mission, wanders into the Mojave desert, where he encounters a Dionysian/Christian cult.

The story relates calamitous events on Mars, the astronauts breakdown, and his initiation into the cult, in a fragmented third person style. The writing about the cult is the most interesting thing. They venerate Dionysus, Buddha, and Jesus as aspects of the same unity, and aim to unlock the divine unconsciousness ('the God within us') by communal activities of drinking, feasting, and naked wrestling.

It's among the better Silverberg stories I have read, and worth reading if you are interested in Mars, the desert, guilty memories, and the rites of cults.

I hope not, that is just a dark future insight.

A book that leaves you scratching your head saying what?
Can't recall atm.

I was already pissed off with Goldenhand and then the blood mirror happened...

This hack is going to milk this series isn't he, even if he has a 5 book trilogy he's going to write a prequel I fucking guarantee it

What happened with Goldenhand?

I'm 3/4 way through. Does it leave you on a cliffhanger?

I think I will drop the series after this. It is progressing from a kid book (the dead caller in waiting wants her cunny stuffed) to a more mature novel (probably trying Harry Potter, Percy Jackson route) but it's still too PG for me.
I need my regular supply of GRI.

Looks interesting. Is it good?

Well, hopefully no with such a bad ending. Im interested in the aura of mistery that lost gave. Of exploring something unknown that you can barelyget to know the surface of. Kind of blindsight or rendevouz with Rama, when they are exploring the big dumb object (although I'd prefer it not be space related).

>What happened with Goldenhand?

It was shit, I don't remember the details I just remember it being completely weak compared to the previous novels

I really need to update my chart.

Tell me what to read
I like: A LOT OF MAGIC

What I've read: Sanderson, Nix, Weeks, Erikson

All this talk about LOST and an aura of mystery made me remember the Bionicle toyline by Lego, which had an incredibly original sci-fi setting that had exactly that kind of feel in its first years. Too bad the actual books and movies were utter shit.

from muh current chart?
Select the ones with the Golden Stars

Are the golden stars specifically meant for me?

And I asked generally not just pertraining to the chart, sorry if I offend you by saying this

Missed stars on Promise of Blood and Shadow of what was lost chartanon

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

HARRY POTTER

FACE
IN
THE
FROST

don't worry about offending that creature

It was the first female author I read and I dropped it halfway but I did like the show somewhat

I see

why do black people in fantasy books always have to be exoticized (blue eyes, silver hair etc.)

why not just have black people as they are?

Speaking of The Shadow of What was Lost I saw yesterday that there's a contest going on for the Orbit edited version goodreads.com/book/show/22878967-the-shadow-of-what-was-lost

It was like a apocalyptic novel that is why I passed over it.

Don't have to worry about offending. The chart is just what I think people from these parts would read from the hundreds of sff novels I red over the years.

Different strokes for different folks, some people here might like it, others don't.

It's not really showy magic. It's like an ole faire tale.

Is that you greymouser user?

I was thinking, with all these Dragons in fantasy books, how come there never is a fantasy book with dinosaurs instead? I think that'd be a cool concept.

Oh god you mentioned dinosaurs
God save this thread

Left is an abo ie. not black

This is a legitimate gripe for me. Its like fantasy authors feel the need to make their black characters special out of some sort of white guilt or in an attempt to reach out to colored readers, but in so doing, they make them not black anymore.

You
Just
Know...

>All these point and shoot no cost magic systems

Fitz getting cucked by Burrich, his father figure is probably the shittiest thing in any fantasy book. And that's how that trilogy ended.

Victor Milan has a series called "The Dinosaur Lords", however I've heard it's not very good and is just a GoT ripoff.

Other then that, the only one I could think of is Glorantha, the setting for King of Dragon Pass and the Runequest/Heroquest roleplaying games.

Working on it. Well, not dinosaur-focused, but around the halfway point there's a group of these guys hunting a stegosaurus at night. And if I ever get good enough to write really silly stuff I want to have mecha with dinosaur-skin cloaks.

West of Eden basically

Dinosaurs evolved as the top species and humans are their little bitches

>how come there never is a fantasy book with dinosaurs instead?

pastebin.com/p1F2YeGJ

You're welcome.

>Raptors
>Feathers
Fucking dropped

The Wizard Knight just slayed me, folks.

can't fight science, user

You finished? Isn't that an amazing setup at the end? So many layers.

Does he choose life or death in the ambulance? Or is becoming a redeemer to his fantasy world a third option?

I think he went back to his coma as your third option or Michael took him to Elysion and he died. If I knew someone who died or was in a coma I think the story would have ruined me. Like that image you of whit text on a black background saying you, the viewer, are in a coma and the image you're seeing on Veeky Forums is a new method to contact you and wake you up, I wonder if a Ben with a dead brother named Arthur ever read it. I don't know why the story hit me this hard. I'm dying here.

I felt that if he had chosen to go to Skai he would have died in the the real world and gone to heaven. And maybe that if he'd died in the battle he'd have woken up in the ambulance. But sacrificing his blood to make his mud elf waifu real was a transcendent act that seems to call for something more than more coma, death or waking from the dream.

It's been too long since I've read it I need to go back.

Soldier Son is terrible. Only series of hers that I didn't finish.

I really fucking liked the first book but I was getting bored of it just being his life being ruined because magic made him fat.

I looked up a summary to see that plot ended soon and it turned out it was the plot of the rest of the series.

I get that authors like to be subversive but if you're gonna spend a whole book making me read slow paced setup only to then ignore it I'm done

Man in the High Castle is a big success, what's the next Alternate History series to be adapted to television?

Has anyone read the "The Expanse" series? I must admit I've never heard of it but it just popped up as a new series on my Netflix so I googled it only to find out it is based on a novel series. So naturally I'd prefer to read that before I start judging characters on their TV counterparts. But is it worth the time?

>Magicians guild
Was pretty ok, but it what's really dragging ol' trudi down is her need to include some social justice homo bullshit.
And I have nothing against homos in my literature but... the way she does it is just plain bad. In her Books she has build this pretty great world with how Magic and society works together and whatnot and the plot about the MC is pretty entertaining as well, but then there is this boring fucking subplot about a homomage who has difficulties existing because for no real reason everyone in the country is really fucking homophobic and he has to hide it or he will lose his status and blaaaaah. It's so blindingly obvious that the author is going "Yeah you know what? This is you society and this is ugly! This is a bad thing that these people don't like the friendly non-threatening gay guy! No dessert for you society!". It all feels so forced and misplaced and I'm 90% sure you could edit it all out without feeling that the book is missing something.
If you compare that to American Gods, When Gaiman includes a gay scene it doesn't completely rip you out of it, it feels very much natural and how any other scene with any other character would go. No need for drawn out subtexts about the plight of the gay man from Gaiman.

Yeah it's good.

TV show is worth watching too.

I'll give it a go as soon as I'm done with a couple of the books. Since I'm a germanfag and don't have scifi I need to wait for them to be available on Netflix anyhow.

almost done with The Brothers Cabal. Man, that got a lot better around the the second half

what next? do I move on to The Fall Of House Cabal, or pick up Death's End?

I feel like I should be reading some higher lit and giving Borges another shot but The Aleph was so unforgivably dull I'm hesitant to do so.

>his life being ruined because magic made him fat.

"Today on Maury!"

Solid scifi adventure-pulp.

>Leviathan Wakes is set in a future in which humanity has colonized much of the solar system, but not interstellar space. In the Asteroid Belt and beyond, tensions are rising between Earth's United Nations, Mars and the outer planets.

I swear to god if they are People living on Neptune I'm gonna throw a shitfit.

Yeah I'm with you mate. I ended up dropping it about halfway through the second book.

What book is dropping within the last two months of this year?

dunno about december but november looks like shit

that's jewish
are you a jew lad

Probably your pic related, sadly. The only other novel-length alt-hist I've read that's any good was Years of Rice and Salt, and you'd think the diversity corps would be all over that but I don't think they'd like their magic brown people doing the same colonization and genocide the whites would have done.

It's a shame, the reincarnation format adapts really well to a visual medium.

Vindication of Man.

I want to believe post-Castalia Wright can be good, but it'll take some doing. That "Orphans" book that keeps getting shilled here was terrible.

Orphans was way pre-Castalia, and Vindication's getting published by Tor.

>reading fantasy books makes you a jew

What are you doing in the sffg if you don't want to be associated with jews. I mean we already shill almost every thread.

So the warded man, any good at all? Its on the chart

Nah.

Started off good, then it became a holy war with the not muslim, and how they will conquer the infidels (kafeet).

Read if you want, the author has let me down numerous amounts of time.

enjoyable enough but the side characters that get increasingly more prominent roles are a negative

The Stone Dance of the Chameleon by Ricardo Pinto. I couldn't tell you if it's any good though. Has mixed reviews.

I read the first hundred pages and found it to be poorly written and generic.

It was a great source for gri years ago. Reading about how her daddy took down her door so she couldn't lock him out at night was delicious.

Also reading about one trying to get away from the dicking so bad, sleeps with a guy whose wife was just brutally attacked and lay dying not too far away made me diamonds.

Just goes to show that women are manipulative, and trying to make it to a lvl 40 wizard would make my life far more carefree.

I just finished Name of the Wind, why is Bast so yandere homo for Kvothe?

Hes a self insert for a friend the author never had because he was such a loser, and still is

>Kvothe didn't fuck Fela when she was practically naked and begging for it and throughout the entire book
>Doesn't fuck Devi either due to teasing and chemistry being better between them
>Spends the entire novel fawning over boring old Diane

For fuck sake, why do the writers always make their heroes fall for the most boring love interests imaginable.

It's alright next book you get literally hundreds of pages of him fucking a fairy

Everyone in his books either loves Kvothe because he's so good or hates Kvothe because he's so good

That's the extent of Rothfuss' character writing

Kvothe fucks so many women in book 2 though. He basically becomes a renowned man slut. Except he still doesn't get to fuck Diane.

Who is your favourite star? Who do you look up to?

If you met your idol in real life, and was allowed to work for them, or stay at their residence. How would you behave?

Also this general is dead. Are all the Americlaps too busy eating turkey and candy?

Candy still, no turkey til turkey day.

bonfire night tomorrow

so fireworks all week long to go to

Fun fact the
>Now I will introduce the love of my life who fucked everything part
The characters immediately introduced after it were Auri, then Devi, then finally like 2 chapters later Diane the battered wife mary sue.

I'm really hoping Diane is one big fake out because she somehow manages to be the worst part in the series whenever she shows up.

Isn't turkey day halloween time?

>implying rothfuss will ever release the 3rd book

You should read the reviews on goodreads. He is basically begging readers from the future to send him book 3 to read.

Reading Bakker for the first time on sffg recommendation.

What an I in for?

Very slow and boring first book.

I honestly don't get how people can get into these massive series where one/several books are really mind numbing to get to the single good one.

Weed smoking

You mean hashish?

Because the author used a variation on the Standard Didn't-get-over-high-school Plot.

>Act 1
>MC is awkward, unattractive, and misunderstood, but smart and snarky
>MC discovers the heart of the misunderstanding is his previously unknown incredible gift
>MC enters a whirlwind of an adventure of discovering his gift as people are suddenly after him
>MC defeats some minor foes with his gift but doesn’t know how
>MV (Male Villain) is introduced, an ass for no reason, is a jock, and good looking
>MV has control over seductress Female Villain (FV) The FV is shown not totally responsible for being a villain

>Act 2
>First confrontation with MV who wants gift to be a bigger asshole, MC escapes
>FV sent to seduce MC
>MC has the greatest moral victory of all time, he turns down a hot woman with dark hair, and large breasts
>FV found MC sincerity and respect for women attractive but must obey the MV
>FV killed by MV since she failed and MV captures MC relishes being an asshole, brags about it, and has sex with hot slave women in celebration

>Act 3
>MC escapes with the help of a spunky, quirky, FR (Female Rogue) who doesn’t realize how pretty she really is
>FR helps MC unlock his gift but is better at everything else than the MC and is more intelligent and wise. Effectively the FR has no flaws
>FR beds MC unexpectedly and loves MC for his snark, mid-level intelligence, and ignores his stupidly childish antics, weird personality, and total lack of friends
>FR and MC team up to beat MV
>MC discovers in the final battle that his gift allows him to be powerful as the gods but he’s magnanimous about how he uses it
>MC tells the FR a stupid joke at the end, she rolls her eyes, and kisses him

No im sure he smokes weed

A lot of heavy worldbuilding, till you're about 100 pages in. Then it picks up

I didn't like it myself.
I think we may have gotten memed on

kek

I dont get it

Nice right arm sleeve tat

whoops

Why can't you fucks stay in your containment board?

>already talking about how the other people cover up their women and dont let them talk

Zzzzzzzzz

fuck off.