What if I told you, that it would be possible to place all the rice grains in the world on a single chessboard?

What if I told you, that it would be possible to place all the rice grains in the world on a single chessboard?

go to bed grandpa

True. Numbers can make the world seem small.

Yeah, if the chessboard was fucking huge.

By my rough calculation, you could heap around a 1,000,000 grains of rice on a tournament size chess board before they'd start falling off.

There's more rice than that in the world.

I'd tell you to prove it, retard. First, show me this giant chessboard.

I guess its possible if you made a rice singularity.

try it.
It is not possible.

id estimate that after 10^7 (at most) grains every grain you put on it will fall down.

theoretically possible but not practically

what if, the entire world was your chessboard?

checkmate atheists

Theoretically but not practically possible.
If you're saying that you could place them on there without them falling off, so you could stack as much as you needed to on each space without it falling off, then you may as well just stack every grain on a single square instead of putting 2^n on the nth square.

I'd say you are deluded as fuck.

Applied Mathematics > theoretical mathematics.

>mfw I loaned my friend 20 bucks on the condition he gives me one grain of rice a day and places it on my chessboard
>the trick is I told him he had to double the amount of rice each day
>it's only been 2 weeks and he's already having to order truckloads from china

epic fucking prank, gonna be hilarious when he realizes there's not enough rice in the world to pay me back. goddamn I'm so fucking clever.

What's OP's endgame?

My estimate on the size of a cheesboard
>Yearly rice production is ~500 million metric tons
>Assume, that at any given moment, you won't find more rice in whole world than it is produced in one year
>Rice density is ~620 kg/m3
>We are dealing with 0,8E9 cubic meters of rice
>We will just dump all the rice on the board
>Angle of repose for rice is ~35°
>Rice mountain will be in a shape of a cone, whose base diameter will be equal to the chessboard's side length
>Base diameter is equal to 2060 meters
>Mountain height would only be 720 meters
Seems that this is very doable

It's probably just another -1/12 thread...

>What if I told you, that it would be possible to place all the rice grains in the world on a single chessboard?
On a sufficiently large chessboard, sure this is possible.

the only limiting factor is mankind's dishonesty.

a more interesting question would be "how big would the board have to be if every square was the same size and each square contains its portion of the series and the portion was completely contained in a pile in the square"

Divide total volume to 64 parts, then do this
with the 1/64 of total volume

If you mean the first square has 1 grain, the second square contains 2 grains, etc., then half the total volume would be on the last square, so divide the diameter in by [math]\sqrt[3]{2}[/math] and then multiply by 64.

>then multiply by 8

I wasn't interested in any value related to current annual production, which is what assumed.

so, replace the actual volume with the variable V...

>not making him put n! rice on each square

wtf I hate proof by induction now

>when a mathematician talks you about a conceptually logical but physically impossible scenario

>Rice mountain will be in a shape of a cone, whose base diameter will be equal to the chessboard's side length
But that's wasting ~910684.353807 square meters of chess board. Try making the pile into a pyramid instead of a cone.

Yes, but you get the cone shape by just dumping it. If you want a pyramid shape, you have to pile it until it overflows the sides, which I don't think is very rational way to do things.
Of course the wasted space could be populated with smaller piles, now that would be a question to ponder upon, how you could arrange piles in most efficient way.
Anyways, I was interested just in as real as possible answer, to see if it in the mind boggling range or not.

>not investing in rice companies

I'd agree.
You never said "at the same time" and every individual grain of rice could easily fit.

I hate to be the that guy, but the economics of attempting this are daunting.

Acquiring all the rice in the world is going to be very expensive.

Plus the humanitarian costs need to be acknowledged.

Why not just build a wall around the chessboard to hold the rice in? With a sufficiently tall and sturdy wall, a standard chessboard could be used.

So what would be the diameter of the singularity, if all the rice in the world collapsed into one? I'd think it would be small enough to fall between the atoms of any Earth chessboard.

>what if, the entire world was your chessboard?

But chessboards are flat...