Trying to get Veeky Forums

Ok so over the past few years I've discovered /mu/ and went through and listened to pretty much everything from their "/mu/ essentials" chart and am pretty well antiquated with music.
Now I'm looking to move on to literature and try and read as much essential reading as possible. I already checked the sticky and saw the basic 1984/F451/Lord of the Flies shit that was listed and have already read in school.
Do you guys have a "Veeky Forums essentials" chart somewhere or does anyone have any beginner recommendations besides shit like 1984 that everyone should have already read in school? I've already got my library card and am ready to go.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sgn-gGmY8q8
youtube.com/watch?v=IBH97ma9YiI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pick random shit from Veeky Forums top 100, there's a 2016 edition somewhere

Also
>listened to pretty much everything from their "/mu/ essentials" chart and am pretty well antiquated with music
Kek'd. It's just the beginning.

>antiquated with music.
>antiquated
You're not ready for literature senpai.

>antiquated

my sides

>antiquated
Did you mean "acquainted"?

And the sticky is made so that you find out which themes and genres you like the most. Now, you should branch out and go for more specific Veeky Forumserature or just read what interests you from the top 100.

Some of these books are great literary works but pretty unreadable, 'In Search of Lost Time' being a good example. It's not a book you could recommend to people.

Thank you. And yeah sorry I meant acquainted. Fucking autocorrect.

Also
>The Bible

The Bible isn't a meme, by the way. It's there for a reason.

Assuming that OP really wants to be more literate, he should be able to google the books and judge if he is ready for them.

>implying that the Bible is superfluous

the /mu/ essentials are horrible
why do people even recommended it

>antiquated

>not a book you could recommend to people
I don't agree with you and even if I did Proust is a bad example of what you are talking about.

kek at thinking you are acquainted with music after listening to /mu/'s recommendations. Just read Stoner, Blood Meridian, Lolita, and The Stranger
then pretend to have read the rest of pic related.

... wew boy, maybe I don't belong on Veeky Forums. Let's see, what are 5 book that I REALLY enjoy, possibly even my favourites...

Sharpe's Trafalgar by Bernard Cornwell
Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks
World War Z by Max Brooks
The Outsiders by (can't remember)

>World War Z by Max Brooks
kek

holy shit you are a pleb

patrician detected

Nice 13

Start With The Greeks

In ancient Greece, Zeus was the thirteenth and the most powerful God of the Greek mythology. Thus, 13 is the symbol of incorruptible nature, power and purity

Ideas that can change lives and reveal the world in new ways to the true student

thegreatcourses.com/courses/plato-socrates-and-the-dialogues.html

Moby Dick is about a lot more than whales, and Socratic philosophy is about a lot more than a wise man walking around saying enigmatic, sometimes ironic things

Professor Sugrue taught at Princeton University

Professor Sugrue takes interpretation of the Dialogues to a new place. It is almost as if these characters were his intimates and he is reporting events as he witnessed them. This is truly excellent work

Though he never wrote down his thoughts, he had a brilliant pupil in Plato, who immortalized his teacher's legacy in 35 timeless dialogues that laid the philosophical basis for Western civilization. In fact Alfred North Whitehead once famously remarked, all of philosophy is but a footnote to Plato

The dialogues share some general characteristics:

They are not a soliloquy, but rather a discussion.
They are not between equals (there is a teacher-student relationship).
Plato himself never speaks.
Each dialogue is a work of art, but all, taken together, constitute one huge artwork.
At the center of the form is irony.
The dialogues are very clearly intended to be a teaching tool.
Dr. Sugrue shows how each dialogue breathes with the feeling, the tension, and even the humor of great theater.

On a human level, they testify not only to the greatness of Plato's gifts, but to the loyalty, friendship, and dauntless love of learning that he shared with his beloved master.

Hey, I read it before it was turned into a movie, if that counts... it doesn't, does it...

Yeah, that's kind of what I was anticipating. Cut me some slack, I've never really read any of the classics. I can't even remember much of 1984 from College.

I sincerely don't know what a patrician is.

>Homer
>Sophocles
>Virgil
>Ovid
>Dante
>Shakespeare
>Cervantes
>Goethe
>Flaubert
>Joyce
>Borges
>Beckett

Then I guess you will be pretty antiquated with literature as well and can fuck off i dont know where Veeky Forums maybe or /tv/

Rolling

>Well antiquated
>Not acquainted

Oh God. Veeky Forums is going to send you to the most inaccessible and random shit imaginable. Unlike /mu/, which doesn't insist you listen to avant-garde jazz before anything else. Or Gregorian chants--although those do have something to them.

how about you go back to fucking reddit

Why don't you listen to this awesome jazz cover of Radiohead's Karma Police. Or, at least, I think that's what it is.

youtube.com/watch?v=sgn-gGmY8q8

youtube.com/watch?v=IBH97ma9YiI

Lit is the final boss of 4 chan

Question. How the fuck does something get on the top 100 list with only 5 votes?

I might just be a retard but free improvisation (Supersilent, Anthony Braxton, AMM, Alexander Von Schlippenbach, etc.) is what got me into music. Sometimes, I think, people will just click with that harder stuff. Entry-level wasn't doing it for me, personally.

So if I read most of the top 100 I essentially become Veeky Forums, right?

Start with the Greeks. Chart included.

If you think this is true, you have no concept of what Veeky Forums is.

Fair enough, but some of the most fun literature is more contemporary and experimental stuff, which is often put in second place to random to random ancient texts (which are good in their own right, sure), on this forum. With an emphasis being put on the relative pretentiousness level of finishing a particular text.

By getting 5 votes.

how can you see something like this user posted and dismiss it as "random ancient texts"? These are as essential as they are brilliant and wonderful to read. Did you just start reading two weeks ago?

Please give examples of "contemporary and experimental stuff" and "random ancient texts". I really want to just call you an idiot and move on but I want to know exactly what you are getting at first.

>relative pretentiousness level of finishing a particular text
Holy shit you are an idiot

He'd probably say slampoetry and The song of ice and fire, maybe he'd throw in some Hunger Games, Ready Player One and Harry Potter also, depending on how "well read" he is.

I second The Great Courses. I started with the Greeks recently and have followed the lecture series for The Iliad, The Odyssey and The Republic. I've got much more out of the materials as a result. Any first-time reader of these works will miss a lot of the context and allusions, but these courses do help.

Read something that interests you and is generally well received rather than trying to complete a list. Save some of the older or more dense stuff for when you've read a bit more.

Try Akutagawa, Tolstoy, Chekhov, Orwell or Wilde if you want something relatively easy to read.

>Read something that interests you and is generally well received rather than trying to complete a list. Save some of the older or more dense stuff for when you've read a bit more.
This. I just started lurking this board to try and get an idea of what to read next but I don't plan on reading something of no interest to me because of some chinese cartoon posting forum (although from what I've seen so far this does look like one of the better boards).