What's better to learn a skill, to practice 10 minutes every day or 50 minutes just once in a week

What's better to learn a skill, to practice 10 minutes every day or 50 minutes just once in a week.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TW6MalmlDqI
youtu.be/ls_VFIU1Dv4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm gonna say 10 minutes a day. Overall, you're putting in 70 minutes per week instead of only 50, with the added bonus of practicing every single day and not losing any skill due to forgetting shit over the days of inactivity.

50 minutes a day.
If that's not possible, I would go with 50 minutes a week because I believe that learning requires some time under appropriate levels of tension and that mere 10 minutes cannot provide you with it.

This is all said under the assumption that the learning techniques used aim at providing intuitive understanding of their subjects, so that their application becomes closer to second nature.

ok, let me put this way.

I just bough an harmonica and I can practice while waiting for the bus in my college, so I'll have around 40-50 minutes every day to practice, not 10, but the point is the same.

which is better, to practice a little everyday or a lot one day?

10 minutes is too short time to warn.
45 minutes is limit full concentrate.

In this case take 50 minutes.
In case 5 hours one day of week vs 45 minutes each day, last is way better.

depends on what you mean by a little and a lot.

For a musical instrument 10 minutes is far too little. However 50 minutes of strict practice at a time might be a bit too much to handle if you're just learning.

I would recommend 20-30 minutes a day of practice a day. Maybe have a few days here and there where you don't pick up your instrument and allow yourself some time off to refresh yourself, and then also have a few days here and there where you play for hours and have multiple practice sessions.

I'm really curious.

is there any research on this topic?

like a few minutes of daily practice versus a full sesion just once?

idk this is just based on my own personal experience having learned the guitar and drums.

I know that there's serious risk of burnout if you try to do too much at once. Daily repetition is probably the way to go if you want to be safe and shield yourself from burnout and diminishing returns. Learning how and how much to practice is just as much of a skill as anything and it's different for everyone.

I want to learn to compose music in FL studio, so that's why I bough an harmonica (because is cheap).

For my goal (composition) is better to improvise every day rather than learning to play songs?

It's a fucking hypothetical question. Just answer it you sperg. You don't need to be so fucking pedantic by pointing out what "too much" may be and adding in extra variables to a hypothetical question.

Well it depends, if it's something easy like calculus then 10 minutes a day, probably. But if it's something hard like proving theorems then 50 minutes once a week, because with 10 minutes you won't even be able to start tackling each problem.

Also, it takes for a normal person without external distractions about 15 minutes to enter the best mental state for solving problems. So for anything that isn't practicing computations (ie trivial work) then I would suggest going for 50 minutes.

You probably want to do a little bit of both, but learning songs is really important starting out. Learn the songs first, then learn the theory behind the songs, that will really help you build a foundation for creating your own stuff thereafter. I'm still finding new songs to learn even after years of practice and being able to play most stuff by ear by now.
As for composing, really the best way to start composing your own stuff is to just dive into it and start doing it. I started writing and recording my own songs without knowing shit at first and having no idea what I was doing, and after many many months of failure I was finally able to make something decent. It's basically a test of persistence.

Find guides online, start guessing and testing things, copy what other people are doing, until you find what works. Each and every step of the way will be hard, you're going to run into roadblocks every step of the way. But if you keep trying eventually you'll get it.

is theory even needed to compose good music?

A little every day is better for instruments. You should ideally be practicing 5 times a week M through F for at least 45 minutes but 10 minutes is fine as well if you aren't taking it too seriously

Source: Me, I play instruments and got a minor in music

basic theory, like knowing chord progressions and scales and where they come from, yes.

anything more complicated than that, not really, unless you want to be autistic about it

If you want to be the next beethoven you'll need to bury your dick deep into music theory

If you want to just be another numale "artist" drum banger then you dont need to know shit beyond what a scale is

Pfft, no. Three chords and the truth, always.

youtube.com/watch?v=TW6MalmlDqI

how hard would be to compose something like this?
or is mostly the VST and mastering?

dunno, I want to make games and music is my biggest challenge so far.

Music composition is a whole different ballpark from composing mate, I don't know shit about music composition but I can play 5 different instruments

go sit in on an intro to music composition class at a college or something, or khan academy or youtube lectures rather than askin autismos on anime forum

sorry I made a typo

I meant to type "music composition is a whole different ballpark from just playing an instrument"

>not studying 25 hours at least every day
Brainlet detected.

What you're asking is a really hard question to answer. It's like asking is calculus hard. Yes it's hard if you have never learned any math ever, but if you already know algebra then no it's not really hard. Starting from scratch to being able to compose something like that will take a long time, maybe a few years, maybe less than a year if you really dedicate yourself it just depends.

If you want a basic crash course on composing your own music I'll tell you what I know from experience, but I'm not really classically trained or anything, just a guy who makes music in his spare time, and a lot of this could be broscience but here we go. Also I'm going to be talking in terms of guitar, drums, and bass, but really the same principals apply with any instruments really.

Think of music in layers. You have your drums and percussion, then you have basic chords and structure on top of that, then you have your rhythm sections and bass, and finally you have leads and vocals. Each part is its own thing, they play off each other and depend on each other but they're separate. Rhythm, harmony, and melody. Those are your basic ingredients to any song.

Before you do anything you have to have a clear idea in your mind of what you want your song to sound like. Obviously your finished song might not sound exactly as you have it set in your brain but your goal should be to get as close as possible. This is going to assume you already have a clear idea in your mind about what you want your song to sound like and just need help knowing what to do to get started composing it.

The first thing I always create is the drum track. This gives me a starting structure to work with and a skeleton so to speak to hang the rest of the parts on. Go through the song in your mind and start arranging things, "This will be the verse, this will be the bridge, this will be the chorus", then write a drum track for each of those parts and combine them and that should give you a good starting drum track to hang everything on. In general you'll want everything to follow patterns that can easily be repeated and replicated, maybe with slight variations depending on what notes you want stressed and emphasised.

Now the basics of drums (for rock songs at least) is that there's a bass (kick), tom, and snares. Oh and maybe a crash every once in a while. Don't worry about if your drum kit has a million parts to eat, each part can basically be boiled down to one of those three things. Snares stress certain beats, your toms keep the tempo, the bass fills things out. Never go full bass, use it sparingly like maybe once per measure or every couple of measures. Other than that it's all about what points in the song you want emphasised, there's no rules on what you can and can't do feel free to make whatever beats you want. For practice you can download a drum machine and make a decent drum track right now using just basic triplets if you really wanted to.

Next you're ready to add your chord structure on top. This is where the music theory comes in handy, since if you already have a melody in mind you'll need to know what chords to put under it in order to have the proper harmony. Otherwise you're just playing shit on top of shit and it will sound like shit. When in doubt, just look up CAGED and the circle of fifths. That's enough to get you started, but you won't be original, this is what basically every pop song ever follows and is what people mean when they say all songs are the same chords, but I digress. When you're ready to go deeper into theory you can have a more complex look at chord progressions, but until then stick to the simple things.

Now that you have a simple foundation, a beat with chords on top, you're ready to add more complex rhythm and bass. If the rhythm isn't as important and is taking a backseat to the lead, then you might want something simple: just notes or chords that follow the chord progression in a simple pattern. Other times you'll want the rhythm to be the full focus and you'll want it to be more complex, it really just depends on your song. Again, the rhythm is all up to your imagination and how you envision the song.

For the bass, some people like the bass to take a forefront with funky bass leads. I personally like my bass to feel invisible and just have a few notes that match the chords (so if I'm playing a G chord, then I'll play a low G note with very little variance) Remember the bass is what moves people to the rhythm. You want people to hear the the rest of the music, but you want people to feel the bass. The bass is about motion and feeling. The bass IS the rhythm in some cases.

The final step to composition is the leads and lead vocals. The lead is your main melody. This is where your true creativity can shine. This is the sole focus of the song, the main riffs people remember and the parts that people sing along with.

You can make your melody whatever you want, but usually you'll notice the notes that compose it come from a scale. So you'll want to use scales to make melodies, kind of. Well you'll want to use your imagination to make melodies, but you'll want to be able to pick out the specific notes you're using out of a scale. And what scales you'll use is determined by what key you're in, and that all depends on what chord structure you're using.

Sometimes your melody might be so complex it leaves one scale and goes into another. This is fine, you can go wherever you want with it, but keep in mind that your HARMONY (chord structure) needs to match your melody, or again, it's going to sound like shit, so when the scale changes your chord progression underneath should be changing as well.

----

So say you're just screwing around on a piano and you happen to play something that sounds like a really neat melody and you want to make it into a song. First you'll find out what key you're in, then based on that you'll know what chords to use to harmonize it, then a chord progression is built upon those chords, and before you know it you're halfway through composing a song. It all builds upon itself but you need to know where you're starting and what you're doing and where you're going. And getting to that point takes a lot of practice.

As with everything you learn you do it in steps, nobody could read in 1 day but instead they learned it by doing it everyday with little steps.
This is just how humans learn things, there are other ways but from my own experience you want to do it everyday for X amount of minutes.

Now you might read all this and think knowing how to make a song means you can just start creating... well yes and no. Actually there's another part to all of this that is an entirely different skill called mixing and mastering. Sound engineering is actually a completely different skill from just writing and playing.

So...Like I was saying songs are made in layers, but sometimes those layers don't just go ontop of each other perfectly. Sometimes the frequencies of instruments crash and collide and cancel each other out. So you'll need to adjust volume and equalize the frequencies appropriately when you're mixing different instruments so that no instrument gets into another's sonic space.

Basically the idea is you want your lower end instruments to occupy the lowest frequencies, while your leads and melodies occupy higher frequencies on top, and everything else in between. To do this you generally need to cut frequency bands that aren't in a particular instruments sonic space. Cut too much and it kills the instrument, but not enough and it clashes with another instrument.

Honestly this part is a huge headache and is the reason real bands hire sound engineers to do this for them. But it's important because this one step makes or breaks the entire composition. A bad mix can make even the most beautiful song sound ugly. So again, it's another skill you'll need to master on top of writing, composing, and playing.

tl;dr it's going to take you months to learn everything you need to make the most basic and boring of songs. just hire someone else to make music for you.

Jog and do bodyweight workout every other day

Plus this youtu.be/ls_VFIU1Dv4

Plus being patient and knowing that role wasnt built in a day

Plus continue looking up things on self improvement, never think that you've reached a point where there's nothing more to learn

>For a musical instrument 10 minutes is far too little.
no it isn't. you can easily go 10 minutes every day. wait every week to go one 50 minute session though and you'll literally have forgotten everything. you clearly don't play a musical instrument.

3 hours per day if you want to get good in your lifetime
7 hours per day if you want to get good in a few years
13 hours per day if you want to get good in a few months
20 hours per day if you want to get good in a few weeks
24 hours per day if you want to get good in a few days
29 hours per day if you want to get good in a few hours
35 hours per day if you want to get good in a few minutes
43 hours per day if you want to get good in a few seconds

10,000 hours, OP. There are no shortcuts, you literally have to put in the time to get the results.