>not judging a book by its cover

Other urls found in this thread:

wordsworthclassics.com/WWTitles.aspx?cat=wwc
theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2015/may/13/kafka-metamorphosis-translations
hakusuisha.co.jp/book/b206420.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It doesn't work senpai

the cover of deathly hallows is great baka

YA covers do tend to be OK, overall. Usually designed by the same people who make real movie posters.

"Real" lit tends to have covers by the best of a publishers' design team. But they usually edges toward minimalist shit or purposely vague stuff.

And then there's genre fiction, which (almost on purpose) have fucking trash covers.

hey what's wrong with the hobbit one?

>And then there's genre fiction, which (almost on purpose) have fucking trash covers.
>implying

>YA covers do tend to be OK, overall. Usually designed by the same people who make real movie posters.
I have seen some really good YA covers. worst ones is usually a girl standing in a forest or some shit like that.
>genre fiction, which (almost on purpose) have fucking trash covers.
depends on the country. it can be some esoteric shit

Goddamn that's a cover. Reading it next desu

honestly the new US covers capture the spirit of the series the most

Covers should be minimal

Japanese covers are the most patrician

thats why i would never read a book with some stupid looking clouds and too words in yellow

>what is penguin classics

This is how I pictured that book in my head.

I think the Dutch ones were ok.

Wordsworth Classics are the most classic.

Is this BLACKED Kino?

>garry potter

is there gay catholic robot sex in this novel?

Why is it a photo of J.K. Rowling taking a shit on some paper?

/r/ing wordsworth classics memes

>And then there's genre fiction, which (almost on purpose) have fucking trash covers.
There's a special place in my heart for the Doctor Who New Adventures covers.

>Hunger games
I'm still UNREASONABLY mad about the fact that people read and watch that shite over "Battle Royale"

And it is so fucking terrible too. "Oh these people in the districts, see they are miners and workers, they are the average people, they are you and me. But when we go into the city! Oh the City! There the people are Weird! They have outlandish hairstyles and weird colourful clothing and they like to watch real murder on the TV and don't even bat an eye! They're not like us! they're so different! Look how different they are. DO YOU GET IT? DO YOU GET HOW I'M TRYING TO SHOW YOU THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF PEOPLE HERE?"

Fucking fuck off you fuck.

>en de relieken van de dood
Wasat? And the relics of the dead?

>gray square in the upper right

This is dumb every book ever has at least a dozen different covers worldwide, many have hundreds
Gay thread is gay

Russian covers are best because the others don't seem to adjust for the shift in tone that comes right around the third/fourth book.

Harry Potter and the Relics of Death

It really annoys me that tonnes of books have great covers, like as good as the best album covers, but then get fucked in reissues. Why do people respect album covers as works of art, but then shit all over good book covers?

>The Horror

What the fuck is The Hobbit doing there, you goddamn heretic?

For a second there I was convinced top centre was Gravity's Rainbow and I was getting mad already. 7.57/10

HP and Labyrinths have legit decent covers.

LotR's is aesthetic as fuck.

I love how the Germans tried so hard to make it look legit.

Chinese is best though.
They do have great covers.

wordsworthclassics.com/WWTitles.aspx?cat=wwc

I own that edition, translation is pretty rough but then again all Kafka translations are

It's a cover drawn by Tove Jansson, writer of Moomin stuff

theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2015/may/13/kafka-metamorphosis-translations
Would be interested to hear your thoughts

nice
fucking hell
this is the original hogarth one right? i never cared for any of those woodcuts, they look like the work of a ten year old
is this one real
u never know with wordsworth

nah it's not real, if anyone has the fake woodsworth children of dune cover i've been looking for it forever

nvm i found it in like 2 seconds i'm a retard

You guys are free to judge me, but I don't read books with bad covers, doesn't matter how good it is. Same applies for shopping goods with horrendous-looking packages et al.
Design DOES matter, and it does speak about the quality of the product.
Having no cover art is preferable than a bad cover art.

Does anyone have stylized 80s covers like this one?

Wait is he really Garry Potter in Russia

The original Danish cover is arguably bad, but I actually like it since it reminds a bit of those cliché art you would find in RPG books/magazines.

Nobody going to mention Ukraine?

Fappi Notter

looks like a fucking snes game box

More like Xarri Potter. Closer to the English /h/ sound than /g/.

I actually love this cover

This and YA is why I think that "don't judge a book by it's cover" is load of crap.

And what is wrong with it?

Does that say "Fappi Notter"?

This is true. Gets annoying though when you want a first edition of a book and you can't find it and all the modern covers suck.

WAIT THESE USED TO BE BEAUTIFUL WTF

Why is it written with Г instead of X?
Wouldn't that be pronounced 'gah-ree'?

who did this cover? holy... i want more
seriously though.

Top>Bottom

I really dig the Chinese cover for Deathly Hallows. It's really fitting for the fables in the last one, but yeah like this thread says, the cover for that one could change the entire mood of a book for the reader

thanks doc

I can tell you it was published by hakusuisha, who apparently also published The Savage Detectives, The Third Reich, Distant Star and Nazi Literature in the Americas.
hakusuisha.co.jp/book/b206420.html

It doesn't list who made the cover though, sadly.

Oh, and Last Evenings on Earth too.

... and Putas Asesinas and The Insufferable Gaucho too, though those covers are drab. Not that there's anything wrong with a drab cover. Piss yellow Faust represent.

this

It's Гappi Пoттep you baka.
>Wouldn't that be pronounced 'gah-ree'?
Exactly. I don't know the reason (probably has to do with the language by which the name became known first) but name Harry has always been transcribed like that. Prince Harry -> Пpинц Гappи etc.

Actually went out of my way to buy this version because I like it that much.