Buying "rare" books

How the fuck do you find certain books? I do regular circuits of local used/secondhand bookstores and thrift shops, and that how I've gotten most of what I have, plus ordering stuff online, but how the fuck do you get something like this without paying $200+ for it? It's not even at any of the libraries in my city.

just steal it from your closest uni

Just download it you whiny faggot

I did this. Booster bag it with tin foil and walk out like the champ you are.

Also check when the last time it was taken out was. Mine wasn't taken out for more than 15 years.

Fuck. They have it at a nearby uni library. Might have to do it, boys.

Stealing books is the most patrician act that exists today

you don't even need to do this. just wear headphones and keep walking. most likely the library workers will be beta students and don't do shit
vlog it

at these prices, it's like they WANT me to steal it.

Has anyone read it? Is it even good?

>Has anyone read it?
no
>Is it even good?
no

>Booster bag it with tin foil
Explain this tech to me

or just take it into the bathroom and throw it out of the window.

I've read it. I got it for 80$ about 60 years ago.
It's definitely the best McElroy will ever do. I think its wonderful (somewhere in my top 50 but not in my 25 or 10). I'd avoid it if you haven't read much by McElroy tho. It was rumoured that there's a reprint under discussion

I want that sweet, sweey Dalkey Press treatment. There's obviously a demand for it with the prices being what they are, wish they'd print more.

electronic tags can't be detected by the security panels if they're inside a faraday cage (basically an enclosure of conductive material that blocks signal going in or out)

one of the simplest means is lining your bag with tinfoil or wrapping a book in tinfoil. the catch is that if you're spotted with excessive tinfoil in your bag you'll immediately be IDed as a possible repeat thief and you'll get fucking rekt

They put out Zettel's Traum in english. They could honestly just kill puppies for the next twenty years and they'd still be the best publisher of all time

put out real nice pressings of The Tunnel by Gass and Recognitions by Gaddis.

The reprint was actually an ebook release from dzanc which I am not sure if ever happened.

-Book depostiry/ abebooks
-estate sales

Or just getting lucky on Ebay ; I got a first edition of Stirners work in english for 70 bucks from a posting that had only been up for a few hours.

Holy shit I could get a lot of money for my copy of W&M
On the other hand, I could destroy it and post pics on Veeky Forums

>tfw I would give my copy away to anyone irl if I knew they genuinely wanted to read it
>tfw I will never meet another living mcelroy fan because I'm in buttfuck nowhere

I vote for destroying it and posting pics. What is a couple weeks beer money next to everlasting fame on a Mongolian knitting forum?

I'm thinking about it. My copy is across the country right now but I could have it as soon as next Saturday.

>overlasting fame

The thread will probably get like 16 replies

Get. Fucked.

Yeah this thread because its exciting and about robbing shit and tinfoil technology. Not what someone does with a boring book

i just saw they have a reprint up for pre order on bookdepository

What'a your Top 10 books?

Can someone post screenshots of the guy who stole this same book from a library? That thread was hilarious.

I go to #bookz and type in @Search

Where do you live, buddy?

It's fucking incredible, I haven't read any other McElroy, and this was everything I could have expeted and more. Gives me the same feeling of atavistic admiration of the world that Joyce did, and no one else could after that, until W&M. Reading it on my ereader, idk why people are so angery that they have to buy it, just dl it

Honestly though, in a couple decades this will be recognized as among the defining work of postmodernity, or just the 20th century (hard to call this postmodern, it defies categorization).

The fact that people get angry at this book is just another signal of how good it is

Please do... artificially raises the price of my copy.

Better sell it before people realize the reprint is getting released in July

Ugh.

I'm the person who started memeing this book on this shit board like a year and a half ago.

I dropped it after 200 pages. It's really just incoherent and pseud bullshit but it takes 80 pages before the novelty wears out and you realize it.

yeah, these ideots need to move onto Real lit like Ms. McIntosh My Darling

>tfw to intelegant to finnish books

I've got a first edition that I bought for $2 I'll sell it to you for $65

>How the fuck do you find certain books?

If eBay scum is honestly going to jack up the price that much, I'll just download a PDF and print and bind the book myself. There's no necessary reason to insist on owning a legitimate copy.

Isn't it getting reprinted in January?

pm me

Oh, they've been saying that for years, you'd better get on Amazon and buy a used copy before I raise the price fifty dollars

>shut up goy reprint is a lie give me $500 for my shitty book

>Oh, they've been saying that for years

yeah they have, and mcelroy has been dragging his feet for years proofing. but they're done and as user posted there are listings on all the book sites for the reprint

Smuggler's Bible is the only McElroy I've been able to come across. I wasn't very impressed by it, but I know it was an early [first?] work of his.

I want to read Men and Women but McElroy has created this artificial scarcity by not allowing it to have a second print/issue. Seems like a real dickhead move to me; kind of makes me not want to read his work.

Does anyone have an ebook of it? Please share

lol that is like the Veeky Forums version of those people who were destroying scarce consoles on release day, do it

Just bought that for $8. Looking forward to it.

w&m was out of print because it's a 1200 page book no one reads. Mcelroy refused a reprint unless he got to proof it; the knopf and dalkey editions both had lots of errors. Dzanc agreed to let him proof it and it took like 4 years lol

Yay, other people on this board who've actually read Women and Men. It's a good fucking book, and it doesn't shy away from being irritatingly hard as fuck. It's incredibly meditative (which might just be a pretentious way of saying repetitive as fuck); and it builds this beautiful rhythm of revisiting itself but changing details or characters in a way that really goes well with its central themes of religion, mythology, ect. James Mayn is a based fucking protagonist, and it surprisingly has some somber criticisms of feminism thrown in if you're willing to pull them out from the page long sentences of pure schizophrenia. A lot of the poetry it pulls out from Native American mythology is beautiful too:

>I am going far to see the land,
>I am running far to see the land,
>While back in my house the songs are >intermingling.