CS extracurricular for STEM guys

How true is pic related?

If you want to be a code monkey, yes it doesn't take that much to be a software engineer designing web/phone apps.

If you want to do systems/cryptography/Compilers/compression/graphics or anything that can't be done by pajeet, then you probably want to get a degree in the subject to devote a lot of time to computation/complexity/information theory.

You could orient a math degree around computation/combinatorics if you wanted to but most uni don't offer that much outside of abstract algebra stuff. It would be much easier if you want to do any work in computer science to get a degree in it, and add the math classes you want onto it. Not the other way around.

lol, but good luck getting a job without a degree

also zero mention of frameworks. if you're not going to school, at least learn a framework or two. because more than likely you're going to be a web developer. Ruby on Rails, Laravel, etc...

also no mention of databases, networks, operating systems, or computer architecture

also I don't know what shit school the user from the post went to, but here the CS students have to take up to calc 3 and differential equations.

>implying web shits are software engineers

hahahah

Hmm main interest is mechanical engg, just learning some programming because it helps

If you don't plan on getting a job doing CS or building a large project in it, don't bother paying for CS classes. The introductory courses are all free online, and are great materials for self-teaching. Don't bother paying for CS minor unless you are interested in the more theoretical concepts.

I won't be paying for anything man trust me
I'll just self teach at my own pace with that /sci programming booklist.

What Veeky Forums programming book list?

The first few books

I mean, if you take geometry, linear algebra, and calculus, you will know more math than a CS major, but they do take courses in all of those. CS majors are just dumb and can't learn any of it.

love the bottom left

I would whip your arrogant asses on the job as I've actually learned about everything a computer has to deal with from CPU architecture up to front end web development

It's like me claiming I'm on par with a Math major since I've taken a proofs class

if your only aspiration is to be a code monkey working on some small time shop's web site then feel free to pursue this

>t. proud employee of Mom's Basement LLC

I'm trying to help out the impressionable idiots ITT by making sure they don't waste their time job searching with "I took Calculus and an online Javascript course" on their resume

Your value isn't in your concrete understanding of how to put code syntax together but rather your body of knowledge which allows you to quickly and intuitively resolve software problems and impediments

It's like teaching someone 2nd grade English then sticking them in as an editor for a publishing house

This is why CS is made fun of on /sci

Not really, that would be sour grapes. We are the rich Chads of the STEM world. That is why you are all trying to find ways to weasel into the industry after realizing the STEM degree you went for is actually useless

>This is what CSfags actually believe

(You)

>lol, but good luck getting a job without a degree

lmao, he thinks you need a degree when internships and charisma exist

I worked for Amazon for 3 years thanks to an internship, brainlet

how did you get an intership without ever going to college? you just strolled in there with your typing speed certificate ?

> tfw did all that way before I graduated highschool

currently working part-time as a software dev while studying CS, definitely possible to get into the industry without job experience

I could start full-time if I wanted, but imo you don't have much possibilities without degree and the degree is free anyway