Does Race Exist?

No

Yes

Define.

Flip a coin.

It's at an undefined point between existence and non-existence

here are obvious physical differences between groups of people as they evolved in different locations. You can call those groups different races, or you can use another word if that one bothers you. Whatever you call them, the differences are real, though not particularly significant. Other than for fetishes, I guess.

What about IQ differences? Surely those are significant.

They're not, and influenced much more by external factors. Now stop trying to /pol/ up the place.

>They're not, and influenced much more by external factors
>>>/leftypol/

Wrong. Consensus is that IQ was about 50/50 genetics and environment. Go back to raddit

>IQ is 50% genetics
What does this even fucking mean?

It means that gene expression accounts for approximately 50% of variation in intelligence quotient you fucking mong.
Not very hard to understand what was meant.

Of course, heritability would be the better way to put it, rather than "genetic", but you get the point

Actual geneticist here. Let me explain why it isn't that simple in simple mathematical terms.

To find the coefficient of heritability, you need to define a population and then compare the IQ of the parents to the children. In a population where there is high variance in environment, the coefficient will be lower, because there are many additional factors that affect intelligence such as nutrition or toxins. In a population where everyone is the same, the coefficient will be higher.

Do you now understand why this means that saying there is a single statistic that summarizes heritability is not meaningful, from a scientific perspective?

Thanks. I was trying to reply how children are at the mercy of their parents' socioeconomic situation for critical stages of IQ development, so the genetic and environmental factors are kind of intertwined. It's not as simple as simply snatching a poor black baby and raising it wealthy either to create an artificial difference.

anyone who says it doesnt is a lair or stupid

>people evolve in separate environments for hundreds if not thousands of years
>this creates significant changes for finches/dogs/literally every animal
>not humans though :^)

>Biologically
Only morons would say no
>Politically
Only if you're not white

You guys will make excuses for literally everything. Equality IS your religion.

Both sides exaggerate the effect of things. The general (tacit) consensus among the majority of actual geneticists is that the racists and the equalists are equally stupid.

"Making excuses" I guess is just recognizing reality rather than ignoring what might be painful for you to hear. It's a good thing science backs me up. Literally nobody has said that every person is exactly the same. If they have, they don't represent any sort of group. Stop creating conflicts that don't exist.

no same species

>races are either equal or not
>it is literally a dichotomy

>i-i-it's inbeeetweeeeeeen!!!!1111!

>It's a good thing my confirmation bias backs me up
Okay lad.

Nice post

> the racists and equalists are equally stupid
The "racists" say that there is a genetic/heritable component to intelligence, the "equalists" say there is not.
Only one of these can be correct, and it is the "racists" in this case.

Unless you mean some people who think intelligence is not affected by environment, but nobody really argues that from what I have seen.

> science backs me up
> literally nobody
Post your Neil Tyson shit on another website.

Holy shit there's no such thing as "equalists" outside of maybe reddit. We have always been arguing the degree of things.

I see you've excluded science from your social bubble. Don't count on me to introduce you. Do your own research, tell me what you find.

Yes, because the shit posts I was responding to were full of Hard Facts and Scientific Truth.
I must just have my head in the sand, bud.

>inb4 the mods delete this thread because thats what happens any time the racial IQ arguement starts leaning towards the truth

Muh equality is more important than your facts

Wrong. Look at Asian countries like India and China. They have significantly higher IQ than the rest of the world.

Good luck on your journey user

I guess I should have defined my terms, "racists" are people who are obsessed with the genetic part of things and downplay the environmental components. If you think the truth is somewhere in the middle and don't spend all your time shitposting about how Africans suck and making race-baiting threads on the science board, then you're probably not a racist and I don't have a problem with that. But talking to you, I get the impression that you are an ideologue. Thankfully you're too dumb to be a real scientist so you won't pollute my field with your angry ideology and dishonest sophistry.

No.

Species and sub-species does though.

Thanks you too

are Veeky Forums mods really that pozzed?

Yes it happens literally every time. In fact, thats probably why the majority of Veeky Forums dismisses hard facts and evolution when it comes to race. The mods wont let the discussion continue unless its a giant hugbox of "we are all the same", "race is a social construct". I give this thread 10 more minutes.

Nah, I have a master's degree in bioengineering from a world-renowned university. Try again, this time without projecting.
> inb4 you question my credentials

Wow, what a shitty board.

Good, leave. We aren't going to come to some sort of breakthrough by shitposting on Veeky Forums. You honestly think that, how SAD. The science is already out there. Some people are aware of it and know these threads are /pol/ bait.

If genetics have nothing to do with it why is it that the majority non European invaded/integrated Africa is still living in mud huts? We were all there at one point, the Africans just couldnt climb out of it on their own.

> Equality IS your religion
It's also the 14th Amendment to the US Constitution. I guess you never made it past the 2nd.

Die

Just because the law says we should treat them equal, doesnt mean science says they are. I dont think anyone should be treated any better or worse than anyone else. However, if you say that there arent significant deviations in cognitive abilities of humans, and that those deviations cant be predicted by the color of said humans skin, at least in an average of a group of them. Then you are either blind or in denial.

The 14th amendment was a mistake.
It gave blanket citizenship to people who were never intended to have it, and muddied a lot of legal terms and standards.
The United States would be a better country is it were to be repealed.
But this isn't /pol/ and these talks need to not take place here.

> being this mad because race is brought up.
If the science is "out there" maybe you could participate in the discussion by bringing it "in here", rather than throwing a tantrum.

> the law in Saudi Arabia treats women as less than men, therefore it is so
See how stupid that sounds?

I'm not going to question your credentials, but you're in an entirely different field. Bioengineering deals with shit like heart valves and prosthetic limbs. Don't act like anyone here will be fooled.