Is the singularity near?

Is the singularity near?

No

I don't understand this picture.

Can I get a quick rundown?

Sufficiently advanced technology begets more advenced technology. It's been observed as the exponential growth of computing capabilities from the 80's to about 2015. Singularists argue that there's no upper limit to this sort of growth.

it's a meme ripoff of the original where the blue line gradually nears the black line and the red one rises slightly and then falls

sorry I meant green not blue

Meant to post this one, lol

>Singularists argue that there's no upper limit to this sort of growth.
A-are they right?

No.

>muh quantum computers

[citation needed]

>to about 2015
to about 2007

Yup. Think about it. What major invention/innovation has there been since the smartphone? None. In 2007 we all thought 2020 would be a world of holograms and paper thin screens. Now we all know it will be just like today but with a couple more 4k tvs.

Singularity is circlejerk of sci FICTION lovers.

Depends on what your idea of "the singularity" means.

The singularity has already started.What do you think Veeky Forums, reddit, and facebook are ? They are giant meta-brains composed of millions neurons. The internet as a whole has already become an entity akin to higher intelligence organism.

Well CRISPR/Cas9, neural networks, reusable rockets come to mind. Also robots have gone a long way, if you look at what Boston Dynamics is doing.

I was actually addressing the failures of Moore's law to increase CPU performance.

There was basically a straight exponential rocket of performance from the 8086 to the Core 2 Duo, which then dramatically slowed until Sandy Bridge and has now come to a grinding halt.

An i5-2500k is a seven year old processor and is still relevant for modern software. If you were rocking a brand new Pentium 3 on the day the gigahertz barrier fell, a seven year old processor from your point of view would have been a 33mhz 386.

Well I kinda think the Moore's law is business scheme. I have this conspirative theory that Intel could've perfected the processor a lot faster, but they decided to milk it as much as they could.

I think the next step would be to make the processors 3D, as in multilayer, but that would require better heat exchanging materials, and transistors that use less power.

Reusable rockets are exciting but they also basically prove that rocketry didn't advance at all between 1970 and 2010

40 years of space exploration wasted

I would say by about 2040 most jobs will be automated.

20 years after that we *MIGHT* have decent AI.

10 years or so after that things *MIGHT* get very weird interesting.

I say might because we'll probably blow ourselves up or some other shit we'll go down by then, if not then I can see things getting pretty weird and incredible towards the end of the century, but not by 2045.

Another 28 years to go.

Its a total meme spread by a crazy kike scared of death, it would be kinda sad if he wasn't getting rich off his bullshit.

Yes, and it will be awesome.
If you don't think it will be awesome just consider cancer, you could wake up with cancer everyday, your family could wake with cancer.
After the singularity we're not going to need to worry about those things. It'll be worth it.