Alright fags, were gonna settle this. Is the "soul" just the energy your brain uses from food and water...

Alright fags, were gonna settle this. Is the "soul" just the energy your brain uses from food and water? Does the body have any other purpose then to house the mind?

Other urls found in this thread:

near-death.com
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't know and neither do you or anyone who posts in this thread

Sweet thesis

And I think I'm right. Conclusion: We need to build ourselves new bodies that can withstand the forces of physics better

there is no reason to believe anything fantastic exists beyond what you have explained.

The soul is the metaphysical aspects of the mind.

the body has no "purpose", not even housing the mind. the body is just a complicated arrangement of matter that occurred naturally. the mind is an abstraction of an operational organ within that body.

a set of patterns of responses to stimuli encoded by biological networks

there is no soul. you are the result of an ironically mindnumbing collection of cells that replicate and live off eachother

you call this collection, "you" but that mostly just helps create the illusion that your matter configuration is unique and you exist anywhere where it exists. but that just isn't true. "you" only exist from moment to moment. it seems like you exist outside of the present but that just isn't the case when there's trillions of different factors from moment to moment that decide the next "you" in the next moment and "you" remember the past "you"s as "you" because that mass of cells you call "you" replicates itself partially from moment to moment

inb4 retards reply that brain cells last a lifetime like that makes a difference; if you don't breathe you die, every cell in your body replaces oxygen and discards cell waste and so on

The body exists to continue the body and to produce more bodies that exist to continue their bodies so that they can produce more bodies ...

The cycle exists and to continue the cycle because the cycle continued itself before, there is no meaning to ask its purpose.

>there is no soul.
[citation needed]

My body seems to have it's own controls on the micro-level of how to move me. Creates serotonin to heighten my awareness of danger. Creates melatonin to put me to sleep.
I--my consciousness--can control this body on the macro level. I can choose to feed my body nutrients or ignore my body and suffer.
We can even choose to kill these bodies, but I doubt a body has ever done anything but try to survive. It does not understand emotional and spiritual pain, trauma and torment.
I'm not crazy though: crazies are always certain they're right.

The body doesn't house the mind. It enslaves it.

The brain and intelligence is just a tool the body evolved to find food more easily.

People's souls are like numbers.

Take 5 for instance.
The concept of 5 is something that exists apart from the universe. It is not subject to entropy or decay. Lying outide of time, it is eternal. 5 a billion years ago is the same as 5 now.
And 5 will always be 5 even after the universe ends. Its properties remain constant. No matter what time or place you are in, adding 2 to 5 will yield 7, and doubling it will always yield 10, and so on.

5 doesn't exist in the universe, but we know its existence because of the arrangement off certain things within the universe. We can have 5 rocks, and for that moment within time and space, 5 exists and is someone tangible. If the rocks are scattered or destroyed, the image of 5 ceases to be in the universe, but 5 itself is never destroyed.

Likewise, the soul is eternal and exists apart from the universe. It has a somewhat tangible form in space time due to the arrangement of biological matter that forms the brain. And even if the atoms of the brain are scattered or destroyed, the soul lives on.

If you can accept the existence of numbers, which you have to (as mentioned, the properties of numbers are unchanging and concrete and have predictable properties, so therefore, they are very real), then you can easily accept the existence of a soul.

Disprove this premise.
You can't.
Your move, materialists.

>the mind is within the brain
Internalist brainlets suc my dick

All numbers are permutations of 1.
Disprove this premise.
You can't.

Yeah but numbers make sense and there's underlying philosophy/logic to support them-- they are just pieces of information that we use to describe things. In what way is a soul like a number, beyond the basic observation that they are both concepts? Numbers are rooted in reality, souls are purely conceptual

The immortal soul is real. Proof is at near-death.com

Is he OK?

>Does the body have any other purpose then to house the mind?
the body's primary purpose is to spread its genes
the mind only exists to help the body survive long enough and fuck enough things to fulfil goal #1

I don't have to disprove your premise. You don't have a premise.

>Numbers don't exist physically but we still believe in them because they are ideas
>Therefore souls exist

I posit that goblins and dragons also exist (in our collective minds) and therefore that makes them as real as any material object. Am I a great philosopher? No. I'm an idiot. And so are you.

When I was little, I wanted to believe souls were real but didn't really.
Then I believed that consciousness must be a thing that can be preserved or transferred, but I learned that is not true either.

It's just a string of memories and experiences that form a continuous chain to draw from. You're going to fade, and then simply not be. There is no escape, no way to preserve yourself and keep learning all there is to learn and seeing everything the universe has.

At this point I'd be happy if this all really was just some sim created by the whims of a superintelligent entity. It'd somehow be less cruel. I'd take being a brain in a jar if it meant I could just keep watching and seeing all of the new discoveries and the way humanity changes over time.

>there is soul
[citation needed]

>were gonna settle this
If you provide me your paypal details, I will bet you $5000 we aren't going to "settle this".