What will NASA announce on Thursday?

What will NASA announce on Thursday?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cURfn6FH1Hs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off_technologies
youtube.com/watch?v=otwkXZ0SmTs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

*Wednesday for the Americans

Considering NASA has done basically nothing of worth for decades, who gives a shit?

>this is neo-Veeky Forums

kys

Maybe if they stop spewing their global warming alarmist nonsense then they could actually get some work done. Thankfully Trump is setting NASA back on the right path.

True

Okay. What have they done then. Because it looks to me like they're just shitting around in low orbit and announcing a mars mission every 6 months for the sake of clickbait. It's really no wonder people want to defund them when they waste money on stupid shit.

Some probe stuff mostly, but you're mostly right about human space flight, I mean for fuck's sake we haven't even sent up any cable-counterweight artificial gravity stations yet. Literally send a module up, with a cable winch attached to the final stage and some RCS thrusters. Once in orbit, play out cable while inducing spin with RCS thrusters, continue to play out cable and increase RPM until desired rotational speed and 'downward' force is achieved.

One of the problems has been pork projects eating the budget and a general apathy towards NASA from most politicians. Pork projects include Shuttle, Orion, SLS, JWST (to an extent), and more. There's no justification for why a modern space capsule should cost $16 billion before it ever even flies astronauts into orbit. There's no reason our 'next generation' super heavy launch vehicle should use the most expensive engines and spaceflight hardware ever developed, which simultaneously comes directly from a 40 year old design, and cost us approximately $5 billion per launch (assuming all development and operational costs spread over a 30 launch life span). There's no reason why a single infrared space telescope should cost $8.7 billion, even considering the engineering solutions and materials development that needed to happen to even build the thing.

Orion should use modern technology with a focus on ECONOMY as well as safety and capability. No missions will be approved if the launch-and-return capsule alone empties out the budget.

JWST has eaten up a lot of funding but at last it will give us new data about the early universe, hopefully.

SLS should have been a totally blank-slate design using everything we've learned about what makes expendable rockets expensive and what makes them capable. Use the tooling from Shuttle to make the tanks, but build everything else form scratch and design a rocket that can work without requiring NASA to shelve everything else for the year.

aliens

they can't do anything because (((they))) won't let them. why do you think we haven't even gone back to the moon?

people (reddit) are saying it's the discover of some habitable exoplanets that are within the same solar system some lightyears away. so basically nothing we can use since we're not going anywhere

Some new technique/technology for identifing exoplanets rather than just watching for small fluctuations in star luminance

that all public funding has been cut and all assets are to be sold off to the highest bidder.

More planet candidates confirmed, like a batch of them. Maybe an exoplanet with a roughly earthlike atmosphere.

Dust on a rock

>mfw NASA is the true obstacle to space technological and explorations advancement like Google becoming the true obstacle to internet freedom and creativity

Might be about signs of life

Where is the face?

Without jwst and tess they can't say shit about truly earthlike exoplanet

Probably some gas giant or shit like that

>Hey guys we found a planet 3856470 light years ago who might at some point, probably, if the time is right, have water!

>Where is the face?
You do not need a face to become into existence friendo

They'll tell the truth about earth being flat.

Will they tell us about the Bogs?

>mfw if Jesus were alive today they would call him a commie and throw him in jail for disrupting the "peace".

That the Dyson Sphere was real

T. minus?

>NASA will hold a news conference at 1 p.m. EST Wednesday, Feb. 22, to present new findings on planets that orbit stars other than our sun, known as exoplanets. Details of these findings are embargoed by the journal Nature until 1 p.m.

youtube.com/watch?v=cURfn6FH1Hs

>they will be answering stupid twitter questions again
>they'll focus on dumb shit like "hurr durr is earth really not flat?" instead of what non-retarded people are interested in

The last people in charge who actually cared about space exploration are long dead.

>who actually cared about space exploration
>implying it wasn't a dick measuring contest during the cold war

Private sector will be leading space exploration now.

i'm a little excited

What do you think science is if not a dick measuring contest?

>Guys we found an exoplanet 4 times the size of Earth in the Goldilocks region
>G-guys?

Pretty much. Super earths are overhyped shit.

>W-we found new planets pls gib funds

Wow, its fucking nothing.

That's exactly what this press conference is about, retard.

7 Earth-sized planets 40 light years away is not nothing. It's a pretty a significant discovery.

Issha Arien

This.

This is supposed to be a science board, you guys were expecting green aliens or something?

>ultracool dwarf star

How? Does it fix out own problems? There is no fucking reason waste funding in things like this while veterans are starving.

>40 ly away

Aand into the trash it goes.

>ultracool dwarf

>40 light years away

ah

>tidally locked planets

literal trash

jesus christ this bullshit. yep nasa is the big thing killing out national budget................

You're a fucking moron, you know that? NASA was the inventor of many technologies used today.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off_technologies

Go back to /b/ you illiterate moron.

Guyz I think he was being sarcastic

Maybe not a big thing. But surely committing to it.

I don't care about shitposters. They can keep that shit to the rest of Veeky Forums.

Exoplanets truly are a meme.

What a waste of fucking time.

How long until NASA receives a budget cut significant enough to shut them down?

Are there no mods on Veeky Forums to kick the /pol/tards out of here?

WHY DIDN'T THESE FOLKS FIND A FUCKIN BIG FOOT ALREADY?????

"Wow. Jet plane would take 45 million years to travel there. Woah." What the fuck is this normie shit?

Nobody's gonna comment on the name of the star? Damn I want a good beer now.

>44 million years travel time

JUST

What a waste of time

b-but muh wormholes would take us there

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR ME user?

Trappist-1 system

DISREGARD MY LAST POST

Existential questions in the near future?

Would be fun if each of the planets had sentient life on them.

is there a possibility that my waifu is on one of those planets?

Even if there is life in Trappist-1 we won't be able to actually confirm it considering how far away it is right?

a solar system full of cute traps *_*

like always - defund NASA, if there was a significant announcement it would be trending on fb, twitter desu
aliens 20M tweets
44mil away exoplanets 1,221

kek I was actually referring to pic related

it would only really be fun if Nasa were to give me a qt alien (sex-slave) waifu desu

I'M ALREADY HAVING THEM user!

They should be recieving our radio signals, and hopefully they've already sent a reply.

if they send a reply right now i'll be in my 60s when we fucking receive it.

fuck space, stupid fucking universe

>mfw I expected nothing and they announce this

Not unless they are broadcasting an incredibly strong signal directly at us/we see direct evidence through observation.

As this user says, they'd have picked up radio from us, and we'd be due a reply about now. However, the signals would be incredibly weak, so their technology would have to be immensely impressive.

Speaking of cute traps, check out that lady in the scarf ;)))))

I doubt human-tier animals are out there anywhere
Humans hit the evolutionary jackpot of having hands + intelligence and intuition
Aliens that could reply to us should be really rare desu

who wants to fill my solar system with their super earths, i've been a bad star

We will destroy ourselves long before we'll understand how FTL works, aren't we?

Who says you need hands? Other alien species could've invented some magical tentacles that put hands to shame.

DO YOU BELIEVE IN ME?

>Fastest manmade object went 25 miles per second
>Around 0.013% of light speed

It does seem like it

>invented
Evolved* oops

maybe they had a civilization 158 millions of years ago, maybe they'll have one in 765 millions of years from now

>fuck space

no, fuck time

M dwarfs are the most ubiquitous stars in the universe user

>pointing out why we can't have nice things makes you a /pol/ user
youtube.com/watch?v=otwkXZ0SmTs

There are objects that we can theoretically send 20 percent the speed of light

>>>Theoretically
We theoretically can fuck your mother with an anti-matter dildo.

>ubiquitous

> theoretically

Seems they've ran out of questions and are buying time.

>post yfw James Webb telescope explodes on the launchpad

Red dwarfs cannot support life. The habitable zone is far too close to the star, so the planets are tidally locked and experience far heavier radiation.
But it's not launching on a Falcon 9.

>People actually thought NASA would announce they found aliens near us
Unless the extraterrestrial life comes to us, we are not going to discover anything interesting and concrete during our life time and sooner you realize this, the better.

god the chink annoucer is so cute
why did the stream have to end already :(((