Post the last word you saw and had to look up

Post the last word you saw and had to look up

>perspicacity

Perspicacity

veridical

cosh

Perspicacity

Heuristic

I never look anything up, i just gradually acquire vague meanings from context.

דּוֹרֵ֣שׁ

Perspicacity

my man

Fefnicute

preclude

Gay

Resplendent.

I just want to be sure a word means what I think it means, to avoid potential awkward situations in the future.

seriously nigger?

coterie

But I enjoy being the subject of Montoyaposting.

Parsimonious

and perspicacity

saltant
refulgence

a true patrician.

hieratic.

Panacea

something work-related

Obfuscation

Stolid

eucatastrophe

Ah-erlebnis

kehkeşan

Foot.

We have two why do we need a word for one of them?

mostly this desu

The last thing I absolutely needed to know to understand a sentence was 'hoi polloi'

funny, because I had to look up 'perspicacious' 2 days ago

I knew what it meant but had a slip of the mind

Amputees, mainly.

The only people itt that have a chance of writing anything of worth, or having an original thought during their lifetimes.

Reprobate

Privet

I keep looking this one up

>'What I did, I went in there and presented with anger at the grief-therapist. I accused the grief-therapist of actually inhibiting my attempt to process my grief, by refusing to validate my absence of feelings. I told him I'd told him the truth already. I used foul language and slang. I said I didn't give a damn if he was an abundantly credentialed authority figure or not. I called him a shithead. I asked him what the cock-shitting fuck he wanted from me. My overall demeanor was paroxysmic.'

What does paroxysmic mean?

Perspicacity.

it carries implications of psychosis and paradoxes to me as i skimread this. i'm getting violent, unexplainable vibes. i guess i'll pick it up through reading it other times in other contexts and my brain will join up the dots

for the time being there is plenty of extra data there to describe the narrator's attitude, which will surely help build a mental picture of what the word means

пpивeт блядь

Maybe it doesn't come through well enough with the limited context given, but the use of "paroxysmic" is supposed to be a joke. (Or maybe it's just not a funny one.) The word means exactly what you gleaned: a sudden attack or violent expression of a particular emotion or activity. The joke is he uses the whole paragraph illustrating exactly what a paroxysm is, and throws in an extra sentence just so he could use this word. I'm imagining the author laughing at the thought of his readers looking up what the word means only to learn nothing new about the scene or character - just the definition of this obscure word.

This is from Infinite Jest btw

a paroxysm is a violent fit

Privet

I just had to look that up too.

I'll probably need to look up most of these words.

A lot of words probably don't mean what you think they mean.

i'm sure that you're right
this is how i live

On a pseud terrified of being called out on their status would care

Yes, looking up information is for plebs :^)

Caveat. I kind of knew what it meant but wanted to be 100% sure before I used it and there's really no reason not to do a quick search to confirm.

Macehualli

Does anyone else have a random useless word they looked up once and still remember the defintion of? For me it's 'diaphanous'.

after reading too many lovecraft stories i ended up looking cyclopean and realising it wasn't about giant buildings presumably built by or in the style of cylopes but was rather just about irregular masonry

>When an anglo posts a Latin-based word ITT

>materiel
thought it was a misspelling

How many layers of autism are you on right now

penisolate

>пpивeт блядь
Why should I?

I'm just so ignorant when it comes to vegetation, tree names and so forth. Also doesn't help that English isn't my first language but I had never encountered this word in my language either

Once had to look up the meaning of life.

+upboat2, classistisi and linguist

sere
gnof
kecks
houlet

when I was younger, I never looked up meanings - just sourced them from context. I then ended up with lots of incorrect meanings, like 'aloof' meaning 'relaxed, goofy'

cruor

aloof is in lots of contexts associated with those. so you might be catching the right "incorrect" images even if a dictionary who doesn't much care about new contexts and reappropriations of words, and associations of meanings, tells you otherwise

Why was Lovecraft such a pretentious hipster? All those tonguetwisters just to say there's a spooky light up ahead. I had no idea the English language even had this damn many words just to describe simple luminescence.