If lisp and lamdbas are so great then why not a single software is developed with them?

if lisp and lamdbas are so great then why not a single software is developed with them?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Oriented_Assembly_Lisp
all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

long ago, I know yelp used lisp because i went to school with some peeps that were close to the company

idk if they still do

Some videogames use lisp.

I write scientific software in full on autistic functional scala

Lambdas are indeed pretty great for rDNA cloning, although they don't cause or are in any way related to lisp.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Oriented_Assembly_Lisp

taken from stackoverflow

>DART. A logistics app written in Common Lisp for the first gulf war, to free Kuwait from Saddam Hussein. One could say that the war started when this app was ready. The developers worked under intense time pressure to make it possible.
>This single application is said to have paid back for all (!) US government investment in AI research.

I don't care about lisp but lamdbas? They're in every primary industry language and used often.

you have to be smarter to use them, most codemonkeys are dumb

Crash bandicoot is written in lisp.

all-things-andy-gavin.com/2011/02/02/making-crash-bandicoot-part-1/

Fuuuuuck that sounds amazing.

Has there ever been a public version?

Trust Naughty Dog to come up with something crazy smart like this. The programming trickery they employed getting Crash Bandicoot to run on the PS even had Sony scratching their heads.

typical lisp faggot. try C++ at a hedge fund then bitch

I'm about to graduate from CS and had a class where we had to use Scheme, but I'm still not exactly sure how a Lisp-type language is advantageous

Performance?

Certainly not readability as it's tedious as fuck to write

Don't know if this is still true, but UPS's website used to be written in Tcl.

> when your programming language is so superior there were computers designed especially for it.

I guess because it's hard to learn and code and so you don't find people who do it easily.
And because classes are a good organizational structure for large projects.

Normal Programming languages: here are some useful lego blocks that you will definitely use, go build something

Lisp Programming: here are some primitive lego blocks, which you can use to build complex lego blocks, go build something

In a purist sense, LISP is great, but you also end up reinventing the wheel 1000 times just to do simple CRUD apps.

>pic related, the comfiest programming language ever

>it's hard to learn and code

no it isn't

scheme is a teaching language, production languages offer more flexible styles(OO, procedural)

some algorithms are easier to write in a lisp style and it does impose a certain discipline on the coder, but these advantages are small which is why it is so rarely used in production

fellow C#babby here

it has lambda functionality if anyone is so inclined

>Performance?
the performance of scheme style languages is not great because unless you're rewriting your executable at runtime, it needs to be interpreted

major operating systems will throw a runtime exception if you make runtime modifications to program space, so you need to run on a highly tricked out OS to do something like that

That's what I gathered as I knew it was interpreted so I simply couldn't fathom an advantage while learning about it

reading about the guys who made Crash though, they seemed to have developed a hybrid language that can invoke assembly code

>why not a single software is developed with them?
Why don't a bunch of guys--without communication skill--work cooperatively to build software?

There are lambdas in VB .NET, too.
They are not appropriate for all situations.

Lambdas are similar to regex. They are amazing at what they do, but they can't create objects, handle call backs.

I read the Gavin post on GOOL. I think it basically evaluates all the macros at compile time, but you're restricted in your ability to use things like eval and lambda at runtime.(making it possible to compile the language)

>BASIC is so powerful there were entire families of computers designed around it

>what is common lisp?

>Lambdas are similar to regex.

Well by regex you mean some API that let's you parse strings.

Lambda expressions give you a Turing complete programming language in of itself.