the great debate

Oranges, apples, or both

Woolf

Left: autist
Right: genius

Thomas Mann is top modernist all others trash

wow proust looks similar to kafka

+1

You are all so wrong. Joyce is the greatest novelist of all time.
>Thomas Mann
almost offensive, Kafka is the greatest German (language) modernist

u r blind

>the greatest novelist of all time

one great novel and a bildungsroman doesn't a "greatest novelist of all time" make

he doesnt even make the top 10

yeah my glasses are broken for a while

Very anti-semitic post. You should be ashamed.

Left: fart connoisseur

Right: complete dilettante

I was seriously though
I can't be anti semitic because I'm jew myself

His Bildungsroman (why the distinction? roman means novel) is actually great as well, and Ulysses is the greatest novel of all time. I'd rather read one masterpiece than ten very good works. Also, please name 10 novelist better than him, I'm genuinely curious.

Honestly senpai I'd say they're roughly equal within their respective languages.

Are you a secular jew or a jewy jew?

How come Prousts most famous excerpt is about eating a crumpet? Joyce wrote about cosmic, philosophical mysterious poetics vs. day dreaming about sensually eating a muffin cookie

No. As someone that has read everything Woolf has written, I can assure you that Proust is better.

Bait or

Oh m8. If you've read the work, you wouldn't ask such a silly question.

Also, how come Joyce's most famous excerpt is about smelling farts?

farts vs eating a cookie

There only needs to be one novelist better than him.

And its inarguably this man, who's not only the greatest novelist of all time, but the greatest artistic power since Homer

You didn't post ten. And the greatest artistic power since "Homer" is definitely not a writer.

I didn't post ten because I think Joyce is the second greatest novelist of all time. Tolstoy is just incomparably better than everyone else.

Dostoevsky is better.
>inb4 muh Nabokov

Proust wrote a novel

Joyce finished the novel

>Joyce is the greatest novelist of all time
he only wrote one novel comparable to the greats and it's an ostentatious mess compared to more focused and insightful works.

He wrote one genuine masterpiece and that repaints the rest of his small ouvre retrospectively because they were written by a master, not because they are masterful writing. His entire career is grounded on Ulysses.

He's like the Irish Melville.

You don't add anything to your bibliography by pumping shit out like Marvel studios. An author should always be measured by his best work

Your'e fucking underages, get out of here!

Faulkner

Proust.

>Great debate

Lol.

>You don't add anything to your bibliography by pumping shit out like Marvel studios
Is that what you consider the ouvres of Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Faulkner, Woolf, Eliot, Conrad, Kafka, and Proust? They're comparable to a comic publisher because they're novelists that actually wrote novels?
>An author should always be measured by his best work
Is that how you justify only writing one great work?
What's Tolstoy's greatest work? Woolf's? Conrad's?
Joyce's is only obvious because there's nothing else to choose.

Both were jews.

Yes, its a sign of a writer with a visionary genius that he's able to express what needs to be expressed in a single work.

>in search of lost time
>Found it...reading your book

no shit

We all know which of the two David Foster Wallace would pick

just saying...

literal sophistry.

I only know 9:
Cervantes
Proust
Richardson
Tolstoy
Flaubert
Dostoievsky
Austen
Eliot
Defoe

Tolstoy captures life in his novels, Dostoevsky does not

The mother of Proust was jew.

Proust. he said ulysses "didnt make my heart beat fast."

He meant that in a good way, keep up

>its a sign of a writer with a visionary genius that he's able to express what needs to be expressed in a single work.
>god only making Adam

Dostoievsky do it in the streets like Dickens. Also her dramatic moments are very intense and good.

Adam = Ulysses
Eve = Finnegans Wake

Maybe Stendhal.

No he didnt, you clearly didnt hear the interview

No you clearly just don't comprehend Wallace. There are books that are there to stir and those that still

Nice effort, but youre wrong

he's barely even "modernist" except in his short stories and novellas, and even then it's all pretty artificial

FW
FW
FW
!!

imagine if they were combined into one author and wrote the best novel ever period:

> best quote is about farting on cookies

proust is literally just an early knausgard

>conrad
>good

Apparently they met once and shared a cab.
They talked about bowties and Joyce encouraged Proust to wear his hair in a way that became his notable style

Exactly

Modernism a shit. Neo-realism now

There are so many versions of the Proust-meets-Joyce story. My favourite is the one where they haven't read each other and have to awkwardly admit it to the other's face at a party. There's also the one where they bonded over talking about their illnesses and digestive problems

Proust is like a super computer with a soul, Joyce is like a soul with a super computer, or the other way around or something

haha

>Kafka
He wrote three novels (like Joyce) and didn't finish any of them (Joyce finished all his novels). He is a fantastic writer, but his oeuvre is very comparable to Joyce's.

Uhhh how about fucking Henry James, the greatest novelist of all time?

Yep. Finnegans Wake is obviously Joyce's best.

>Cervantes, Proust, Tolstoy, Flaubert
maybe
>Dostoevsky, Eliot
probably not
>Richardson, Austen, Defoe
absolutely not

Wanna know how I can tell you're American?

He was English.

>caring about non-American opinions

fuck off

Only good post ever made on Veeky Forums.

I feel guilty, I must admit i am the proprietor of this selfag

no wories my man it was a goood postt

Hmmm irish fartsniffer or french guy

Irish fartman wrote a sentence a day and then got so bored laboring over pretty sentences that he wrote a whole book of language jokes and puns

French guy lay in bed all day and was a manchild and was literally french and wrote about biscuits and coffee.

The graet debate

I would like to dispel the fiction that this was a samefag. The man or woman I quoted made the only valuable critical statement, and indeed the only valuable statement of any kind, ever to have appeared on this garbage heap, and made it in a succinct and compelling way, which is most suitable given the inherent telegrammatic limitations of the site. We should all feel guilty that we cannot live up to the example.

It is the craftsman in Joyce that is progressive; but the man has not moved since his early days in Dublin. He is on the side a ‘young man’ in some way embalmed. His technical adventures do not, apparently, stimulate him to think. On the contrary, what he thinks seems to be of a conventional and fixed order, as though perhaps not to embarrass the neighbouring evolution of his highly progressive and eclectic craftsmanship.

So he collected like a cistern in his youth the last stagnant pumpings of victorian anglo-irish life. This he held stead-fastly intact for fifteen years or more—then when he was ripe, as it were, he discharged it, in a dense mass, to his eternal glory. That was Ulysses. Had the twenty-year-old Joyce of the Dubliners not remained almost miraculously intact, we should never have witnessed this peculiar spectacle.

That is, I believe, the true account of how this creative event occurred with Joyce; and, if that is so, it will be evident that we are in the presence of a very different phenomenon from proust. Proust returned to the temps perdu. Joyce never left them. He discharged it as freshly as though the time he wrote about were still present, because it was his present. It rolled out with all the aplomb and vivacity of a contemporary experience, assisted in its slick discharge by the latest technical devices.

Joyce was a regional writer

Good but not universal top tier

Henry James is worse that Joyce and Austen.

I don't think so, but they're both nearly as good. Henry James perhaps only beats them in sheer quantity.

Homer wasn't one dude, dude.

Seconded. Not even American, but Faulkner is the only novelist who rivals Shakespeare in his grasp and revelation of the human condition.

I've read two works of Faulkner's that equal Ulysses, Joyce's best work.

whats the human condiiton?

isnt it just posting?

>it's a Veeky Forums doesn't like Jane Austen because she's a woman episode

this is a joke. proust wins.

Nabokov was right before he changed his mind.

Thats just the set up, Joyce winning is the punchline

I already saw you Pynchon. Your'e the only good posted here.

please learn how to use google

Why did we continue posting after this user?

Aye

>ITT: idiots discussing literature they probably haven't even read

you mean ITBoard

>digestive problems
This sounds plausible.

>Riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.
woah

>ITPost: meanie user makes me feel like a pseud

I was saying "Prouuust".

>asking this in an anglo board

Joyce is for people that want to feel smart. Proust is for people that want to experience beauty.