Who here /penguinclassics/? Here's my collection, post yours

Who here /penguinclassics/? Here's my collection, post yours.

Other urls found in this thread:

nullk.github.io/penguin.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i'm winning, op

I'm not autistic enough to organize my books by publisher.

O x f o r d
E d i t i o n
B e t t e r l y
O b j e c t i v e

how do you organize your books? I organize them by size and publisher.

>how do you organize your books? I organize them by size and publisher.
What if the publisher publishes different sizes?

I organize my books by genre. I stopped caring about how my bookshelf looked after I ran out of space to add new books.

i haven't read it yet, so I may as well just download the oxford edition.

Alphabetically by author. Why would you do it any other way?

Reporting in.

you explicitly prefer oxford, what are you doing in this thread

Get the fuck out of here, Oxford Faggot

AUTISM
AUTISM EVERYWHERE IN THIS THREAD

>download
My heart is weak don't mess with me

Post rare /penguin classics/ plz

rate

that focus

My books are sorted by author and period, not publisher, but I do have lots of Penguins in the mix.

>being this assblasted

Stay mad fuccbois, I prefer Oxford for some works and Penguin for others. Penguin has the better Byron, Whitman and Donne editions, and also Spenser and Chesterton, but Oxford has better Melville, Joyce and Bacon.

Go fucking kill yourself you autistic Oxford faggot.

Make me, big guy :^)

Wordsworth is better under Oxford, they use the earliest versions of the poems before he cooked them with his later bullshit

Nah, I like your spunk.

Don't you mean Whitman? Also, the edition I have is the Penguin one with the 1855 text, with the first 12 poems. The introduction is also great. Oxford I think only has the later, Deathbed edition text. Because of this, the Penguin edition is slimmer and easier to handle.

In other words, Whitman is definitely better under Penguin.

No hard feelings, my good man.

cozy

>mass market size penguin
lmaooo pleb

Clearly the only logical way is to order them by ISBN

Do you have two identical copies of Sherlock Holmes?

Have a room in my parent's house and my spare room here filled with books.
Bedroom full of books. Dining room has full bookcases down one side.

>mfw I've mostly bought books on kindle the last five years.
>mfw "nothing to read"

Non Norton Plebs, the lot of you.

Why don't you cut the molding/base in angle and place both bookcases together? That would look much nicer.

Why don't you cut the molding/base in 45° angle and place both bookcases together? That would look much nicer.

I've got some more since (Tristram Shandy, The Princesse de Clèves, some Chopin, Twain, Hawthorne, Wilde, The Canterbury tales, Babbitt, etc.) but too lazy to go pull them all out again. I have 96 Penguin Classics and 17 of the light blue Penguin Modern Classics.

Oh, I didn't say I didn't own some Nortons. This pic is outdated, too.

I wanted the corner free for outlet access, and to store the stepladder, so I centered the end case. I did try it both ways before making up my mind, though.

How are the Ibsen and Byron editions?

The Ibsen is just five plays (Peer Gynt, The Wild Duck, The Master Builder, A Doll House, Hedda Gabler), and critical responses. It's fine, but I had to go elsewhere to get Ghosts, An Enemy of the People, and Rosmersholm--all also essential works.
The Byron is of course, missing a lot, but really a solid introduction. It was a great step up from my Wordsworth edition, both in textual presentation and supplementary stuff. Highly recommended, but as it uses excerpts from the longer works, it can't be your final Byron.

Well done, lovely selection of the old covers.
>tfw the new ones have bland black spines instead of the old assault of rainbow colours.

>The Princesse de Clèves
good shit dude

It always astonishes me, Norton have such great editions as far as the texts, intros and essays go, but their covers are almost always utter shit tier. I recently read the Ibsen, and it was brilliant but I kept on thinking how the fuck do they sell these books to anyone who isnt explicitly looking for them? I mean look at that fucking Isben cover! No normal person is going to be browsing, find that, and think hey this is a great cover I should check it out.

Not the guy you responded to, but what did you think of those plays? I thought Peer Gynt was fucking brilliant and that A Dolls House and The Wild Duck descended into a didactic mess in their endings (especially dolls house)

I thought people who like to read were over judging a book by its cover.

Spines were good with the bright colours.

Who looks at the cover anyway?

I see an OUP publication in there, you fucking liar.

Nothing wrong with liking to read a book with a good cover, its like fucking someone you are attracted to vs someone you aren't.

By date of publication is the only way to do it, user.

That's a great looking bookshelf user.

Eh, the newer Nortons look pretty good.

Thanks. There's the rest of the shelves in my house.

The older Nortons are butt-ugly and all had white spines, but these are reasonable.

Except the cover is like 1% or less of the book. It is like liking a girl with ugly face and body, but fucking her because she has done her hair in a way you like it.

Link to penguin classics maker?

>Moomin
>Peanuts
>Habibi
>Cerebus

patrician /co/mrade

This is great. As a college student with a small collection, I'm very jealous.

nullk.github.io/penguin.html

T h i s
E d i t i o n
B e t t e r l y
O b j e c t i v e

would hang out with

Well, I'm a lot older now and teach at two universities now, so I get lots of free books from publishers and profs offloading/retiring. Add to that the several libraries nearby selling great books for $1 each, and my decades of treating book-buying as a smoking-level habit...

blurry/10
>p good tho

looks good

l o l n o p e

this edition far more betterly

looks like someone got tricked by Veeky Forums

It seems he has indeed started with LE GReCs!

Not that guy, but tricked how?

Starting with the greeks is a meme on lit, though I think it's a good one since they are a good place to start.

reading translations of Ovid is fucking disgraceful

Yes, I'm sure you're fully fluent in Latin and a dozen other languages. Fuck off, you anti-translation troll.

I think you replied to the wrong person

>Who here /penguinclassics/

You wont be /penguinclassics/ in about 10 years when those acidic penguin books paper disintegrates because the quality of the paper is such shit.

I see you and your bookshelf so much on Veeky Forums like honest question how often do you browse this place.

ok well then serious question from someone who wants their collection to ask, which publisher do you recommend for classics?

How do ya'll not fuck yours up on the first read? Or do you not read them at all? I've really enjoyed the notes and shit in these (especially Rilke and Mansfield), yet god damn, the smaller ones especially fuckin fall to shit quickly.

idk, maybe dont fucking hulk open your book and break the spine every 5th page

Literally none of them look like they have been read from start to finish.

Fuck off back to booktube, you can show your collection there.

was gonna say this, like I read the count of monte cristo in the oxford classics edition once and there were some nice creases in the back, literally none of these have any creases.

dont buy books and show them off on Veeky Forums if you never bothered to read them anyways.

Not anyone in this thread but I am so careful not to try and damage anything when reading. Right now I'm reading a hardcover of Inferno like a bitch. Taking adequate time to turn pages, not opening it filly, etc.

Yes of course you should always try to make your books last, but to say you read every one of the books in that guy's pic with no creases (which are super easy to make on oxford and penguin classics) is absurd

Sorry I take care of my books, didn't realize it was such a trigger

Penguin have really bad translations. Bear this in mind whenever buying from them; if it's foreign, it's almost* certainly a bad idea.

*there are some bizarre exceptions, like Gilgamesh

>*there are some bizarre exceptions, like Gilgamesh
You sure?

If you read a penguin classic once or twice it will look like guaranteed. That's why you hardly see them in good condition in secondhand bookstores.

Yes. Andrew George is very good; it's better to get the 2003 Oxford volumes (from libgen because my God they are expensive), but the Penguin is pretty good.

I see its a small book so do you think it would still end up looking like this guys?

Whoops, sorry. The Ovid guy was my target.

Usually daily, except when I have a stack of work at hand. It's very sad., but I ignore the rest of the site.

Who cares?

My dick. I want to put my penis in the book. But if the spine falls off it might go limp.

That's a problem with your dick.

Have you ever taken a poo in the Qur'an?

Only Ficciones, sorry.

Can you poo in a book right now? I'd like to see.

NO

>no punctuation
I'm sorry, that was rude; NO.

Please. This is my fetish. Just grab one of your many copies of Infinite Jest and poo in that.

I don't have Infinite Jest, but I do have a lump of used shit. Would that do?

Not that I want to support this sharp decline in discourse level, but what the hell is the difference between "used" and "unused" shit?

Do you not know what used and unused mean?

As descriptors for excrement? No. Obviously virtually all shit is composed of "used" food, but that doesn't explain the expression.

lol ok