What is your opinion of the work of Hemingway?

What is your opinion of the work of Hemingway?

I loved For Whom The Bell Tolls but I haven't read anything else by him

Hemingway?

More like HIM IS GAY! amirite

I loved The Sun Also Rises but I haven't read anything else by him

I loved The Old Man and the Sea but I haven't read anything else by him

I've read The Sun Also Rises, A Farewell to Arms, To Have and Have Not, For Whom the Bell Tolls, and The Old Man and the Sea.

I loved all of them, but liked A Farewell to Arms and For Whom the Bell Tolls the best.

I loved A Moveable Feast but I haven't read anything else by him

I loved Ulysses but I haven't read anything else by him

I loved The Beautiful and Damned but I haven't read anything else by him

So this is the current state of Veeky Forums, huh? Some hybrid concoction of /b/ plus /tv/ plus reddit. Keep chasing the meme, boys. Keep doing it until nothing is left for the rest of us.

Now, Hemingway? He knows not the ten dollar words. He will tell you he does. He doesn't.

You'd be fun at parties XD

I hated The Old Man and the Sea but I haven't read anything else by him

Most important writer of the twentieth century. Rejected Victorianism, invented modern prose.

For Whom the Bell Tolls and The Sun Also Rises are powerful works. Faulkner was his superior in every way imaginable, however.

Chekhov invented modern prose

>Rejected Victorianism
So did pretty much every writer in the early 20th century.

>knows not
faggot

Love his short stories. His novels are alright but verge on the trite.

His writing style has had an undue influence on American letters.

Wtc that sweater?

If you dislike Hemm you're either a nu-male cuck or a feminist.

Old Man and the Sea is a great novel.

Maria was waifu.

>novel

It's a novella, pleb.

But Farewell To Arms is shit outside of the war chapters

Plebs find his 9th grade level prose deep.
The Old Man and the Sea was retarded.
Really instead of reading that borefest A Farewell to Arms, go read Storm of Steel by Ernst Jünger instead.

This post was painful to read.

The Old Man and The Sea is nice. It made me feel comfy.

Hemingway is one of my favourites. His prose lacks any complexity which he saw as a technique, some see as a weakness and some as revolutionary. While Hemingway mostly copied what authors around him did in terms of prose, his stories captivate you on a different level. They are real. His dialogue is real. His characters feel real.
Hemingway managed to capture the most primal emotions like fear, hate, love and also the classic manly values like honor, camarafery and bravery. I've read his novels once and most stories twice. I'm still not sure if his bleak prose adds to this or if he manages to depict reality in spite of it. However this may be, Hemingway is touching, is very real and actually makes you feel. He was of minor importance for literature as a whole but I think he produced some of the best works for readers. His work may have little value for the development of literature, yet he is a truly great storyteller.
Sorry for any mistakes. Not a native.

Read most of his stuff but the short stories which I'll get around to soonish. I enjoy his work probably a bit overrated for what it is but maybe the short stories will change my mind I heard some of them are pretty fantastic.

I loved The Great Gatsby but I haven't read anything else by him.

I have not.

Why did he kill himself, lads?

For Whom the Bell Tolls was very touching. The Sun Also Rises too, but a bit less so, I found. I'm going to pick up his complete short stories soon, after a man who looked like Hemingway recommended a few of them to me.

I've read the Old Man and the Sea, and Farewell to Arms, the latter was one of the worst book I've ever finished.

The Old Man and the Sea is great. It made really excited to read his other stuff. Got half way through The Sun Also Rises and I had to admit toyself that I wasn't enjoying it.

I agree with the Old Man and the Sea being a great book, however, I am inclined to say that a half-decent writer could have done a better job. I really dislike the strip down prose that Hemmingway perpetuates. Worse of all, it's American!

In Our Time remains his best.

Never discuss Hemingway with anyone not familiar with the Iceberg Theory because they're missing the point entirely.

Hemingway is based for short stories.

As a red blooded American, I would like to thank you, foreigner, for reading and appreciating our beloved Hemingway.

Hemingway is an absolute god. Anyone who does not agree or anyone that does not even bother to read him is an utter pleb.

He was amazing as Hannibal Lecter in Silence of the Lambs.

I'm reading For Whom the Bell Tolls right now and honestly I'm really struggling, the mountain fishing trip is just so slow and boring