Tfw you realize earth is a space manlet with a small cock

>7 potentially habitable planets all very close to each other
>if humanity started on one of those planets, we would have started colonizing the others decades ago
>it's literally the setting for a utopia

Anyone else feel pretty shitty that they weren't born there? I just want to die. Fuck earth, eat shit and die.

Other urls found in this thread:

phys.org/news/2017-02-nasa-planets-red-dwarf-stars.html
astrobio.net/cosmic-evolution/nasa-finds-planets-red-dwarf-stars-may-face-oxygen-loss-habitable-zones/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tidally locked planets
>utopia

implying we actually know anything about what their surfaces would be like

I'm pretty glad we don't have the opportunity to destroy 7 planets instead of 1, yes.

potentially habitable planets all very close to each other

3, the other four are outside the "habitable" zone.

Here in our little corner of the galaxy, we have three planets in the "habitable" zone as well.

POSSIBLY tidally locked

> Nasa announces Earth-like planets
> """""Earth-like"""""
> """""Earth""""""
> mountains, water, green shit, animals, intelligent-humanoid-life

*earth sized

do you actually think they know what a planet looks like thats 40 lightyears away?

> yfw you realize that we have big ass telescopes that can see the big bang, and 40 lightyears is next door to us

Let me repeat myself, they have NO idea what the surfaces of these planets look like whatsoever

This is like our 100000th fucking thread on this.

I hate to red-dwarf pill you, but there is a good chance these planets aren't in fact habitable. They are probably bathed in intense radiation because they are so close to the star:

phys.org/news/2017-02-nasa-planets-red-dwarf-stars.html

>>subjected to torrents of X-ray and extreme ultraviolet radiation from superflares occurring roughly every two hours.
>>subjected to torrents of X-ray and extreme ultraviolet radiation from SUPERFLARES occurring roughly EVERY TWO HOURS.
>>SUPERFLARES
>>EVERY TWO HOURS

Life would evolve to withstand radiation no?

Yes it would, the life form on those planets probably feed off of superflares and radiation

Or you know, die.

then post a pic of the planet that looks like anything discernible

m8 we don't know what they look like they even explained this in the conference.

We see them as nothing more than repeated dimming patterns when we look at their host star.

You guys probably think the Earth is flat as well, top zozzle xD

This also blows away the atmosphere

Sure it does, and I know that. Chances are, some cool science shit happens and the life forms on those planets exhale a compound that rebuilds the atmosphere in a few seconds.

Surely the ones in the similar habitable zone like us could have an atmosphere too like us?

lmao this isnt a youtube conspiracy, they actually dont know what the surface looks like. Youre one of those brainlets that eats up those artists renderings that look straight out of a sifi film.

dwarf star has dwarf radiation.

Yep, chances are soooo much higher for life to evolve to such a complex form in an inhospitable environment, rather than, you know, just be wiped out in a fundamental state.

>Sifi

IMO the only thing a planet needs is tons of liquid water (e.g. at least half of the planet covered in it, and surface temperature 0-50C) and all the other things will eventually happen somehow.

>tfw you realize OP is projecting
L0L

Opinion based on?

Last time I looked, we had one data point. Hard to figure odds form that.

Earth is a very lucky place.
No way man could have risen to the heights we have without all those fossil fuels to get us going.

While life my be sort of common, intelligent life (by human standards) is most probably quite rare.

Are you american?

Planet wars and apsce bombing

the JWST will supposedly be able to directly image exoplanets

isn't there a branch of biology dedicated to studying life-forms in extreme conditions (s/a in volcanoes, icebergs, etc)?

We can only ballpark the gravity on those planets, we have no fucking idea what the planets are even like aside from approximations of mass/size. For all we know they could be devoid of anything useful to us.

I hate that I will die before we can become interplanetary (if we ever do), but from what we've seen so far, we literally could not ask for a better planet. Earth is like winning a multibillion dollar jackpot.

Appreciate what we have OP.

>humans are shit!!!
>muh environment

Fuck outta here

>appreciates confirmation bias reinforcement
way to sound like a delusional idiot who thinks everything is a spechul gift from a magic huffbag

Archaea could probably evolve in some form, they're known extremophiles. I haven't come across any that can resist massive doses of radiation or lack of atmosphere, but... anything's possible

astrobio.net/cosmic-evolution/nasa-finds-planets-red-dwarf-stars-may-face-oxygen-loss-habitable-zones/

Hate to break it to you, but red dwarfs are probably shite.

I will bust a science nut if this actually happens

I don't know what you're expecting but basically it's going to be a pixely dot.

Reminder Venus and Mars are in the habitable zone of a better star. We'll soon know more with JW but I'm willing to bet my virginity they are just useless wastelands.

so no ayylmaos?

40 light years away is way too far anyway, it would take us 200,000 years to get there
We'll probably never colonise other planets, the only ones close enough pose too many challenges and offer little reward.

>soon know more with JW
>scheduled for October 2018
>will probably be delayed
>will probably blow up on the pad

more or less, yes. you can study them, see, if water is present, the composition of the atmosphere. you probably could even detect artificial influences like industrial scaled smoke.

>delayed
>under Trump
Under budget and ahead of schedule, buddy

We just got shit spawn
Go back to main menu and start a new game

The moon is tidally locked to the earth. The distance between the star and planets is only a few times farther, and they're much more massive than the Earth-Moon system, so it would make sense that they're tidally locked.

Maybe one of these planets is entirely made out of magnets.

If science SOMEHOW came up with a way to go superluminal in the next few years, how long would it be (also assuming first missions found habitable conditions) before we were sending LOTS of equipment and people?

depends mostly on the money, I'd say
very quickly if they find valuable stuff there

Literally no life can withstand a red dwarf blasting radiation down their throats

The radiation is so intense it shreds atoms apart. So unless life is extremely adaptable then it would get ripped apart

We wouldn't be "we"