Why I chose my major

I'm really excited Veeky Forums. I'm a near highschool graduate (ending half of senior year) and recently the talk of debt and and college choice and scholarships are freaking me out. I've been forgetting why I want to go to college. But the recent announcement about Trappist 1 made me remember why I'm doing what I'm doing. I'm going in Astrophysics, and was recently accepted into RIT's Physics program and plan to go to grad school their for Astrophysics. The excitement and passion I felt when reading about Trappist 1 woke me up as to why I'm doing this, and it makes all the work and stress and debt worth it, if I could just be part of the group of people who find these planets and help Colonize and explore. Nothing really important ITT, I just remembered why I chose to pursue science

>Inb4 tidally locked shit hole

Yeah but it's still exciting, the simple miniscule possibility of another habitable world is too exciting to be that cynical about it

Well help explore, I guess observation wise from Earth. Although I hope by the time I'm at least 50 we have started colonizing other places. Obviously not those worlds but maybe Mars or Titan or Ceres or somewhere in our solar system. If not then we're a fucked race and I hope to be reborn as a space alien

>Trappist 1

ITS A TRAP

>ITS A TRAP

All the more reason we need to go

remember to work hard with your goals in mind.

>near highschool graduate
underage b&

>and help colonize
kek
good luck inventing interstellar travel and terraforming

Religious Trappist

Not mentally ill Trappist

tidally locked planet can't sustain life is a meme that needs to die asap. The spin is not important to even out the temperature of a planet, an atmosphere and oceans are. So if one of those planets has a atmosphere that is neither too thin nor too thick, and has tons of water on its surface, than that planet will more than likely harbour life. Period.

however thanks to the extreme temperature differences present on a tidally locked planet as well as the near unidirectional winds, over the course of its existence its surface water will be transported towards the night side where it will be stored in the form of ice

Many high school seniors are 18.

>that planet will more than likely harbour life
You can't make such a ridiculous claim without more information, brainlet.

"18yo senior" is a meme

nah mate, large liquid oceans will at some point develop life, and that life will spread. easy as that.

the surface temperature on venus is almost completely evenly distributed. venus is practically tidally locked. if venus had a thinner atmosphere, and had it large quantities of water, it would look a lot like earth.

>I'm a near highschool graduate

Stopped reading here.

There is a major difference between practically tidally locked and tidally locked
Over time Venus has had every point of its surface exposed to sunlight (well would have if not for that atmosphere) countless times, on a tidally locked planet this would never happen.

This exposure would prevent the glacial buildup.

around half of high school seniors are 18 by graduation

>Implying humanity will ever fucking leave this rock

If we were EVER going to colonize some place, it would have been the moon and it would have been years ago.

I highly doubt in this lifetime we will have the knowledge or funding to support people on other planets for more than a few years.

>nah mate, large liquid oceans will at some point develop life,

Or they won't, one of the two. We don't have any data, other than that it happened once. Plotting probabilities from one data point is tricky.

I was 2 years into college when I turned 18

I highly doubt you are right

>you were born too early for interstellar travel

that's nice OP. it's nice to still be young and be naive and have ideals.

good luck.

>implying there will ever be human interstellar travel.

We can't even sustain ourselves on earth lmao.
I think we need to solve our ecological existential crisis first.
Astrophysics is still pretty cool

Cool, many high school seniors are 18

What if we solved it by leaving this shithole to shitskins?

Its a depressing thought, isn't it?

Perhaps the reason we haven't seen any ayys, or will ever see any ayys, is there simply is no solution to FTL travel. Its just not in any way possible.

So we're bound for eternity on our little wet ball of rock.

Kys

>Help
>Add contributions that will eventually help lead to these things over time

I like to believe, that what keeps humans pioneering is the mental image of something that seems impossible. The day we cannot think of anything else to invent or to make, that's the day we die out. Faster than light travel will take a long ass time, but we can imagine it, and it seems that once humans cling onto something it's hard to get them off. Just my opinion, it's alot less cynical anyways

>Implying traps aren't modified to be the best house wives and lovers

Gtfo here with that bullshit

nothing will ever lead to these things though.
there is no possible technology that will ever allow humanity to travel outside our solar system. why not focus on more realistic scientific goals?