Why does Veeky Forums hate Computer Science so much?

Why does Veeky Forums hate Computer Science so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

terrytao.wordpress.com/career-advice/does-one-have-to-be-a-genius-to-do-maths/
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Insecurity.

Everyone respects math and physics by default, every board needs its jokes and engineers aren't as insecure as CS guys, so they're not so fun to meme on.

Because the only high-paying jobs available to Math and Physics postdocs are in CS

Anger over being bait and switched, CS isn't anywhere as mathematical as CS majors claim.

>t. cs brainlet

not an argument

I had to switch majors to math after I failed the Turing test

You have been visited by Correctness Lamport.

Improved correctness, performance, and reliability of computer systems will be yours, but only if you reply to this post with the words "if you don't listen to this man, you're gonna screw up badly".

I wasn't arguing anything.

We don't

All the CS hate comes from the engineers.

I don't know why they can't just make an engineering board to rid Veeky Forums of cancer

they're jealous of our gargantuan throbbing salaries, worried that we might be sticking them in their women during our bountiful free time, while they're busy wagecucking.

Mmmm... abuse me more, daddy

It's really just a meme.

I am a pure math major. I find programming hard as fuck. Esp. the higher level programming courses.

>Get unclear assignments
>No Unit Testing Provided
>Write good, clean code that works on your unit test
>CSfags in the class are super elite programmers and done first day the assignment is released
>Submit assignment
>Delayed grader
>Get grade of missing a crap ton of points
>No feedback on what you missed
>Can't think of unit test to to create new test on
>Get bad programming grade on assignment due to no feedback.
>Autistic programmers are very good
>Go back to doing comfy proofs

>code monkey
>bountiful free time
Okay, bud.

Switched from CS to environmental science because I found out I didn't enjoy programming, and we didn't start programming till the second year. If you want to get into CS you have to like programming since that's all the jobs. Working outside is a lot more enjoyable for me.

EE here. I like CS. That's why I teach it to myself in between big boy classes. Helps me relax.

I work a 9/80 no OT and make more than six figures. Every other Friday while you're working, I'm fucking your crush.

99% of CS does nothing to improve the world.

like 99.9% of physics and 99.99% of math

>transcending are human bodies and living forever on the internet is not improving the world.

okmmhmm.jpg

because the computer is more intelligent

big dicked CS graduate here.

Enjoying my 90k a year job with amazing benefits. I barely passed calc I btw.

CS are failed mathematicians is not a meme. Literally everyone who found math too hard in my uni went to CS. Not knowing basic undergrad math is fucking disgraceful.

Just a bunch of salty chemfags doing mental gymnastics to convince themselves that they're relevant.

*maximum overtip*

terrytao.wordpress.com/career-advice/does-one-have-to-be-a-genius-to-do-maths/

>In order to make good and useful contributions to mathematics, one does need to work hard, learn one’s field well, learn other fields and tools, ask questions, talk to other mathematicians, and think about the “big picture”
>But one does not need some sort of magic “genius gene”

Why does Veeky Forums act as if selecting math/physics as their major makes them not brainlets? The vast majority of you are at undergraduates at middling state schools. Why even bother measuring your academic dick if you didn't go to a top uni?

What if I dont care about being a usless mathematician and want to contribute something to humanity?

Pure Math B. Sc./CS Undergrad here:

Because Computer """Science""" is barely taught as a science anywhere but the most elite institutions. It's now what coding degrees at colleges used to be: a mill for creating mediocre web developers.

Case in point: the second-year discrete math course here is crosslisted math/cs and is taught by a guy in the CS department - who, God bless, teaches it like a real math course. I TA it this term, and I could ace it without attending a single class. But the CS brainlets drop out of it like flies. Consequently, the prof for the course is getting pulled off of it because too many students fail. I wish this was a meme.

Pretty much all science is based on math you fuck

>grad student can ace a class he TAs without attending
>thinks this makes him hot shit

How did you even get into grad school?

Reading comprehension

You mistake me: I only meant the prof's not teaching anything astronomically difficult - basic zeroth-/first-order logic, counting, proofs, etc. Easy for me -> manageable for them (or should be).

And I only mean that you seem to lack the requisite intelligence to function in life and feel sorry for the institution that accepted you;.

What do you see as a "good" CS curriculum? Minimal classes in coding? Heavy emphasis on theory of computation and complexity theory?

Because I can tell you that none of the top 4 CS schools have a program like that. The only program like that is Yale, and they're so trash they had to borrow Harvard's CS50 course.

It is as mathematical as you want it to be. Or perhaps you have never taken a course in algorithms?

Because Veeky Forums is slow enough even with them here

No, that's going too far. However, it also shouldn't a four-year coding camp. Ideally, in-course instruction would focus only on conceptual understanding of computation and the necessary mathematical constructs to facilitate that. Any coding would be done in assignments and labs/tutorials.

But not all math is useful for science.

You'd think someone arguing on the side of math could predict the grade school "all squares are rectangles" argument.

Because of the cancer that is idiot Undergrad CS Majors who go on about how math heavy CS is but are too stupid to grasp even basic multiplication.

t. CS Major who tutored other CS Majors.

And what are these big boy classes?

and wtf does that mean

algorithms classes can get pretty mathematical
that isn't like data structures or operating systems which involve algorithms but aren't an algorithms class
usually they'll be upper division or grad level

This is my experience. I did my undergrad in Math but the high level CS courses were a fucking blast; I never understood how my peers, both in Math and in CS, struggled with them.
Didn't help my job prospects though, kek.

How do you learn something without reading definitions/theorems? Kek

Look at German universities, they don't have shit like "JavaScript class" or ".NET class" and have heavily theoretical CS programs unlike US colleges

>german universities
>country of lennart poottering
>the hallmark of CS education

Yeah, because when I think of promising developments in system architecture and AI, or really anything promising to do with computers in general, I think Germoney.

acktuall computer science would be discovering a computer and proving it existed
who needs a degree in testing the existence of computers? they exist. how hard is this?

Isn't this tribalism between different educations pretty stupid? If you really think yours is superior, shouldn't you be happy that other people go for different things?

because I failed every goddamn course and a pajeet laughed at me from his convertible while my crush sitted next to him.

It's applied Math, therefore impure, therefore inferior.
Also it's not a science, because you don't experiment on things observing the results to find out more about the laws of nature.

fuck off CS brainlet

but then there would be less things to shitpost about

Lack of feedback mostly.
At least tell me, how I can improve my coding. Giving me a grade? Clearly that's not good enough.