Real problem solvers needed

Someday

Some rowdy fucker is going to fly to the moon on a solo trip and set up a base

And then another rowdy fucker is going to do it

We're going to have some serious problems if we don't allow people to start buying land and shares on and of the moon

Oh...

And India says it's going to be using Helium 3 (moon energy) as a power source by 2030
>sciencetimes.com/articles/9013/20170221/moon-provide-energy-india-2030-helium-3.htm

FREE POWER?

I DON'T THINK SO!

WHEN CAN I START BUYING OFF WORLD PROPERTY?!

Never. We collectivaly agreed that was a really bad idea.

I didn't agree to nothing.

Who cares what you think

I do. So you might want to elaborate on what exactly "we all collectively" means. Barring a complete collapse of civilization, we're going to space. And when people live in space, they're going to start to have claims on things.

Barely bothered to read your post, but I said "we all collectively". Not "us". You weren't invited to the meeting. You shouldnt have been such a cuck and maybe you'd have legal rights. Your posting priveliges on this site has been withdrawn.

>Outer Space Treaty of 1967
>Article II

>/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty
"As of January 2017, 105 countries are parties to the treaty, while another 24 have signed the treaty but have not completed ratification."

Looks like not everyone signed up

Some day this is going to be a real problem

We've already got walkers selling lunar real estate.

Outer space treaty forbids people from owning land on the moon.

Helium-3 mining is a fucking scam. Even if we do have magical fusion power that works, energy return on investment isn't that great

This. Sort of. We don't even know how to make fusion work reliably with deuterium, Helium-3 fusion is probably centuries or more away, assuming anyone even bothers trying to study it in the first place.

There is a loophole in the OST, they can't own the moon itself, but they can own any ship that visits, lands, or just sits on the moon forever, so international shipping and ot national laws would apply to whichever country the ship/equipment was registered too. Luna is less than a week away so law enforcement isn't really a problem (do what you want on the moon but when the cops seize your shit on Earth, freeze your bank accounts, or stop resupply shipments you will fucking comply and return for sentencing etc.)

>Some rowdy fucker

May I call your attention to the People's Republic of Rowdy Fuckers?

>Outer space treaty forbids people from owning land on the moon.

Would be hard for a world full of nations who cannot get there to enforce that.

>You will never live long enough to visit Tranquility City, Armstrong, or New Singapore

He3 is full of shit, true - the concentrations in the regolith are never above a few ppm. But you know what isn't? Using the abundant Si, O and Al to build solar power satellites, as proposed in that Stanford Torus paper. Solving the earth's energy needs and creating an economically viable self-sustainable space population at the same time.

Simmilar to how international law forbids Israeli colonies in Palestine eh?

>Solving the earth's energy needs

I remain skeptical about getting the energy back down to the Earth to be used. Not on a technical basis, but I see political problems.

Any system I can think of that accomplishes this looks an awful lot like a weapon if you you point it someplace else.

It does not. Use microwave beams with a radius of few km at the surface, and long ass rectennas. There was some resonance thing about the device only being capable of transmitting when the beam was in phase with the receiver - aka aimed at it, but I don't remember what the mechanism was for accomplishing this.

I really wonder why no one has done this yet; does the plan just sound too far-fetched to attract investors? A tech demo seems like it would be pretty straightforward.

>as weapon
yeah maybe, and couldn't whatever company owns the satellites just decide to microwave any city they wanted?

And even there, most nations in the world own a plane that can get there.

That sounds like a technical fix that requires me to trust you not to override shit. I might have to nuke you before you can fire it up, just to be sure.

The way things are now its basically impossible to create your own nation-state from scratch without UN approval and recognition, isn't that the only thing they do?

No one has done this because investing in muh defense jobs and muh social programs is a much surer way to get reelected than calling for something that will take at least 3 terms to pay off, and no one besides the Federal Government of the United States of America has so far been even remotely capable of accomplishing this sort of thing. Finally, the annoying people clamouring for sustainable energy can be silenced with some shiny toys like wind farms.

Private investors don't have the money to pull together, politicians have better campaign strategies.

>helium 3 fusion is centuries away
Helium-3 is the best fusion fuel we know of, not because it gives any more energy or shit like that. Its because its the easiest fuel to induce fusion in and, therefore, the most likely candidate for efficient net positive fusion. From my understanding you can just throw he-3 in any old tokamak reactor with little to no modifications. The problem is scarcity.

>the annoying people clamouring for sustainable energy can be silenced with some shiny toys like wind farms.

Dumbasses, why can't they just accept that coal is cheap, plentiful, clean, and serves all our needs?

Also windmills scare the cattle, but I guess a rancher's opinion aren't worth much these days ;_;

The UN has fuck all to do with it -- but we're drifting off topic.

I don't get your point, user. I am arguing for solar power satellites, something a coal shill would not recommend in a million years. Wind and solar have their uses, but way I see it they're being used to throttle nuclear. They can't function in a power grid. All this shit about energy storage might sound fine if you only consider households - but you will never run a steel mill or aluminum electrolysis plant on fucking lithium batteries.

>coal
>clean
Pick exactly one.

>India says its going to be using Helium 3 (moon energy) as a power source by 2030

Ahahahahaha!

POO
ON
MOON

land grabbing and capitalism have brought us here. why should we abandon it? are you fools suggesting some kind of Star Trek style space communism?

>Some rowdy fucker is going to fly to the moon on a solo trip and set up a base
>And then another rowdy fucker is going to do it
>We're going to have some serious problems if we don't allow people to start buying land and shares on and of the moon

Bad argument.

Your logic behind buying land on the moon is probably that if land has a rightful owner then people will not legally be able to simply go there and take land.

So now there are two possibilities

1) There are no moon cops

Then no one can really enforce those land ownerships on the moon, so the rowdy fuckers can go and take anything they want anyways

2) There are moon cops

Then those moon cops would kick the rowdy fuckers out, even if no one owned the moon, as the moon is legally the property of everyone (there was some old document that said this, look for it through popsci websites) so they would enforce this by not letting anyone control any land.

I wonder if a Chinese push for the moon would get the rest of us off our butts finally.

There is already poo on moon. Several Apollo teams left poo bags there. If there is life on the moon at all, it is bacteria from some astronaut shit-bag heroically recycling nutrients.

Space colonization really is the perfect opportunity to attempt a pure free market/minarchist civilization.