Surface temperature of your average day in Massachusetts

>Surface temperature of your average day in Massachusetts
>Tidally locked, probably has liquid water
Who lives here? What are they doing?

>.021 AU
They're either horribly sunburned or dead

>Evolution can't protect from radiation

>>Surface temperature of your average day in Massachusetts
Unless there is a hot atmosphere keeping heat in, there would be some parts of the planet with tolerable temperatures.

Assuming the planet has a magnetosphere.

It would be inhospitable for us without one, but could life evolve at all without one? I honestly know very little about bio

Since those planets are so close to each other all of them probably have.

Not the way we know it. Genetic information is typically stored encoded as a very long molecule. The magnetosphere helpfully deflects much of the radiation that would otherwise fuck up that information.

yeh quite easily even if it has deep enough oceans

and some near-surface or potentially even surface life might exist, we have some pretty darn hardcore extremophiles even here on earth

however don't expect anything multicellular

kek

tidally locked means there's a strip of land around the planet that'll be at the right temperature pretty much all the time. any pools of water that stay more or less in the shade, behind a mountain or something, would be ideal places for some form of life to exist.

Having a magnetosphere is caused by planets being close to each other? I don't follow.

imagine that. when they say "don't leave the fucking valley or you die", it's actually true

those who venture never return. TAKE HEED.

that'd be really cool. if mutlicellular or even macroscopic life took hold, it would have to adapt to the surroundings. any lifeform would probably evolve a natural aversion to sunlight

ABANDON ALL HOPE
YE WHO EXIT HERE

Posting selfies on /pol/

>probably has liquid water

Yeah, sure.

From 40 light years out, Venus just looks like Earth's hotter twin. Shit, those earthlings probably just go to Venus to have their vacations, a world full of sexy tropical forests and bulgy guys and girls in speedos and thongs...

kek

Yeah but how about maybe the ayyliens are rock people that communicate telepathically and fly through the sky in hovering crystal using magic, well i mean not really magic just some force maybe we don't haven't hard of yet

Put a piece of iron near a magnet, and wait awhile -- it will become magnetized, too.

It orbits a red dwarf

I think you might be a bit off base here.

Tidal effects. Having a varying gravitational pull on a large massive body creates internal stresses and keeps the core hot. If a planet were to get really close to its star, for example, it will tend to be pulled apart by the differential pull of gravity. I imagine having 6 planets move in and out every few days would result in some rather spectacular volcanic activity. Cores made of metallic elements produce magnetic fields due to intense eddy currents caused by the flow.

A good example of internal activity caused by tidal effects are the moons of the gas giants. Io is basically a constantly boiling ball of rock and ice due to its close orbit to Jupiter and stresses from all the other moons.

What stresses me out is, if each planet is being pulled by the gravity of those around it, then how stable are these orbits? How are these planets not either being catapulted out of the system, or even worse, thrown into the star the orbit?

Do not question me, I have a doctorate... IN SCIENCE!

>If a planet were to get really close to its star, for example, it will tend to be pulled apart by the differential pull of gravity.

it would fall apart because its own gravity would be insufficient to hold it together in the face of the different orbital velocities natural to its constituent bits.

Probably not very stable at all

Well, yes, that's pretty much what I said. In this case the planet's own internal gravitational pull is more or less equivalent to a kind of tensile strength.

>t. an engineer who is very sorry for triggering you

Well yes and no.
Stable relative to the Earth? No, but keep in mind these systems have been in work for billions of years.

(I know the same is happening in our own solar system, but these planets are all so close to each other so the effect would be must stronger)

>Well, yes, that's pretty much what I said.

If so, then my remark would be in agreement. I read what you wrote as implying the gravity of the star would "pull" the planet apart. It seems I was in error.

Here, have a cat to in some small way restore good feelings between us.

np m8

Are you referring to "crystal gems" ?

I bet they build one another instead of reproducing sexually.