Ulysses

I'm reading the chapter in which Stephen is discussing his Hamlet/Shakespeare theory and I have to say I barely understand anything that's going on.
I see the genius but fail to appreciate it

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.frankdelaney.com/2010/06/re-joyce-episode-0-introduction-to-james-joyces-ulysses.html
blog.frankdelaney.com/2010/06/episode-1-we-meet-buck-mulligan.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

blog.frankdelaney.com/2010/06/re-joyce-episode-0-introduction-to-james-joyces-ulysses.html

This guy deconstructs the entirety of Ulysses, if you can find the appropriate episode.

I was making ok* progress until this chapter.
* not realizing all the things I was missing

you reading with a guide or anything? scylla and charibdis is rough no matter what, just keep powering through. even with extensive endnotes it was a major slog and probably the slowest chapter of the book

>you reading with a guide or anything?
Only spark notes, I will be re-reading it again in the future, probably once I've read Shakespeare and other English classics

Why the hell can't I find episode one?

Read it like a comedy. He's talking to pretentious intellectuals about his hamlet theory which itself a bit tenuous and pretentious, but nobody will take his ideas seriously because theyre all trying to convince each other to care about each of their own pretentious ideas. Also the theme of fatherhood is extremely important in Ulysses so this chapter is your chance to go into Stephens mind in regards to father figures.

Also, do keep in mind that they're a bunch of Irishmen talking about the quintessential English writer. There's layers of irony and self-aggrandizement at work. That's part of what Stephen is doing.

Almost everything in Ulysses has some level of irony. Joyce is consistently ironic, even when he's actively being brilliant.

im on the same boat
is dense as fuck
the previous chapter was a breeze

Why is bloom so superior to stephen?

Hes steady, witty, resourceful, and when he's lost in the world he can manage to pull himself out with grace and good spirit. Stephen doesn't have the tools, he's immature and the only control he has on his temperament is shutting down. Hence why he needs bloom as father figure.

Watch the movie instead, nigga.

OP here, where does it mention that he's a Jew?

Also Buck Mulligan is fancy fucking troll

Mulligan's POV sequel when?

whaaaaat

Pure kino.

Ok theres a lot of stuff but ill try and give a rough overview of what I remember.
>Stephen disagrees with the others in that Aristotle is greater than Plato.
>The others believe in his theory of forms and similarly believe that the genius of Shakespeare is seperate from his life and the art should be interpreted on its own.
>Stephen believes (or says he believes) that you should not consider art as seperate.
>Here you must remember that he is railing against ENGLISH views of art where it is a high culture Shakespeare Milton and the like who the English have forced on the Irish and other colonies as the best of the best.
>But as Stephen is Irish their literature doesn't quite fit for them because it doesn't have the connection to life that the other critics claim isnt important.
>Stephen is stuck between Scylla and Charybdis as he wants to write great works but he needs his own criteria for what a great work is rather than that of the English.
>Then he goes on to theorise about Shakespeare who played the ghostly father of Hamlet and had a son called Hamnet and so theres a load of holy trinity stuff going on.

It mentions it every two sentences. Aren't you paying attention?

Can we all agree that the Circe chapter is the funniest piece of literature every created? It was the only time I audibly laughed at a book before, the situation is just retardedly absurd.

blog.frankdelaney.com/2010/06/episode-1-we-meet-buck-mulligan.html

Joyce's Ulysses - Borges
>I confess that I have not cleared a path through all seven hundred pages, I confess to having examined only bits and pieces, and yet I know what it is, with that bold and legitimate certainty with which we assert our knowledge of a city, without ever having been rewarded with the intimacy of all the many streets it includes.

What a pleb

>I see the genius
There's none, obviously you don't understand it

it's certainly the hottest, gave me a right boner

Big boy alarm going on

the best part of that episode is buck mulligan

Not at all

There is genius flowing throughout the entire book, just not that chapter

This is tenuous...Shakespeare was/is seen as the great 'catholic' (and universal) english writer and Milton the prot.

A lot of critics would agree though - Joyce is a great collater of literature. He's very clever and allusive, genius is the wrong word.

>considerable achievement
Kek

I personally take the view that Hamlet is the poet and Shakespeare the town crier, to me that's the perfect combination.

He actually claimed to have never read an entire novel in his life. He believed that there was no novel that was free of filler, so he saw it as a waste of time and for that reason preferred short works and poetry.

I found it incredibly dark and bleak