Why is evolution such a hard concept for so many people to grasp?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution
youtu.be/TzN-uIVkfjg?t=50s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

people of weak character and low intelligence need spirituality as a safety blanket against feelings of worthlessness and nihlism

Possibly. Is that Karla Homolka?

Hows 8th grade going buddy?

Creationism has been there for thousands of years. THOUSANDS!
Do you really think your puny meme "theory" stands a single chance?

>> 8697421
> Why is evolution such a hard concept for so many people to grasp?
People who have never evolved--matured--are as ignorant as the day they were born: so they always deny evolution.

>> 8697444
>people of weak character and low intelligence need spirituality
They are so insecure, yes, that they need someone to carry them across the desert. Funny how they believe they'll get into heaven with the sin of sloth. Won't they be surprised where they end up?

>> 8697473
>Is that Karla Homolka?
She does look similar to child-killer Karla Leanne Holmoka with those dead-eyes.

It doesn't matter what you believe in. If you believe in evolution, you get called an underage fedora. If you believe in creationism of any kind you get called retarded.

You can't win

Jokes on you, I'm a retard in a fedora.

How can you believe in evolution if its just a theory (a geuss)?

If everyone in your family, community, and all your friends, and all your community leaders deny evolution then you have a lot of pressure to also deny evolution.

When you might literally lose your job and be kicked out of your family for openly claiming to believe in evolution it makes you really think twice about it.

Also when everyone around you says evolution is fake then it makes it a lot easier to believe it is fake.

This is why it has been hard for any non biblical teaching to get much traction in deeply conservative religious places.

Is this also why you draw the line for evolution when it comes to humans, and switch to what basically amounts to Lysenkoism?

>How can you believe in evolution if its just a theory (a geuss)?

Its a shame no one ever taught you what a scientific theory is. It is not what you might assume based on the layman definition of the word. If you ever make it to a decent highschool you might be taught it, or at a college, if you ever go to one. If not then don't feel bad because you are in the company of the majority who also don't know.

OOGA BOOGA ME HUMAN ME NOT ANIMAL ME HUMAN ME BETTER THAN ANIMAL OOGA BOOGA HUMANS FUCK YH EEK OOK *monkey noises*

> anyone who calls out the bullshit i believe in is a edgelord

The Just World Fallacy is responsible for the widely-held belief that your negativity attracts failure rather your phenotypic traits that are on the left tail of the human distribution.

>The Just World Fallacy is responsible for the widely-held belief that your negativity attracts failure rather your phenotypic traits that are on the left tail of the human distribution.

copy pasta from religious idiot detected.

I can tell because I can actually read that sentence (unlike you most likely) and it isn't phrased properly for the context.

If it makes any difference to you, I forgot a "than."
>rather than your phenotypic traits
I know exactly what I'm trying to convey, sorry I can't explain it like a mathfag.

Isn't the scientific method based on observation?

So why are you talking about the scientific method when discussing things nobody has ever observed?

How is that "science"?

>things nobody has ever observed?

you were lied to. It has been observed both directly and indirectly.

Plase refer to

Appeal to tradition is not an argument.

Why is history such a hard concept for so many people to grasp?

you'll find out next year

>believe in evolution
>believe in creationism
If you "believe in" anything at all, then
you're a credulous faith-based faggot.

>evolution is just a theory (a geuss)
...like gravitation

>Why is a made up theory with tons of inconsistencies, contradictions, and flaws so hard to understand
Really gets me thinking

>Implying they're both on equal footing
>Implying evolution is a belief
Evolution is a scientific theory supported by a ton of empirical evidence. It's been observed and documented both in and outside of a lab.

Creationism is a religious belief that's not supported by any empirical evidence.

>What about hat memes
Who cares

We believed the earth was flat for thousands of years. THOUSANDS!
we died in our 20's for thousands of years. THOUSANDS!
We slaughtered each other in the names of various god's for thousands of years. THOUSANDS!
We lived in hunter-gatherer societies for thousands of years. THOUSANDS!
The quality of life was absolutely terrible for thousands of years. THOUSANDS!

do you not see a correlation between the improvement of humanity and the slow decline of religion in society? Also, a correlation between the shittier places on Earth being more religious, and the better places being less? It's actually a gradient.

Laughed

Nobody calls you a Fedora for understanding facts.

The detective on a TV show who is in deep thought and says out loud "I have a theory about that" is using the word incorrectly. A scientific theory has just as much merit as a law, and it's backed by observational evidence. The fucking "theory" meme is made by scientifically illiterate retards.

This!

I can tell from your post that you are a fedoric and that you don't understand evolution. Or to clarify, your understanding of what evolution is and how relevant it could be is worthlessly flawed. Never assume you know more than someone else simply because you are a good sponge and can parrot worthless shit without even correctly understanding it or contributing anything of worth to the debate, you pint-sized brainlet faggot.

nihilism and cynicism are shit tier philosophies

This is assuming it's hard to grasp. It's not. I think the more accurate question would be, 'why is evolution such a hard concept for people to accept?'

To which there are many answers. Some people genuinely find serious problems with the whole hypothesis. (To which all the angry Veeky Forums teens reply, 'It's not a hypothesis brainlet!')

Q: Why is it so easy to spot the sockpuppet?
A: Pathological attitude, unmistakable.

This place is infested with empty children in search of a new religion.

Everyone has faith. Especially you. I just said that second part to make you mad. lol

But it's true. You have faith the sun will be there tomorrow, and all sorts of things. Everyone puts a mixture of faith into things that are true, and things that they think are true, but may not be.

It's just 'high horse' philosophy to think that you're better or different than religious people because your 'faith profile' is different from theirs.

the time scales involved are just too large for the human brain to really grasp.

just like the universe is incomprehensibly huge. sure you can put a number on it but still the brain just isn't geared to handle that. Ask the average person to show you how far a mile away from where they are standing is. Its a surprising distance.

Now ask someone to conceptualize a billion fucking years.

Mental models for huge numbers are relative in a sense. For example I have a concept of my body and knows things about it without having to hold in my mind that I'm made up of billions or cells or trillions of atoms. My fingernail contains bigger numbers than I'm able to hold in my head, it doesn't stop me from understanding the concept of a fingernail.

If you're going to be that exact then we don't truly comprehend anything.

I don't, nor will I ever, know everything about my fingernail. But I know enough about my fingernail to know it's not an eyeball.

In the same way, I don't have to grasp billions of years to come to a conclusion about whether or not the evidence for evolution validates it or not.

Because people think there is a theory of evolution when there isn't
Evolution is a fact
Natural selection is the theory that attempts to explain that fact
Darwin never used the word "evolution" in On Origin of Species

natural selection is the fact upon which the theory of macroevolution is based you fucking moron

Just saying 'evolution is a fact' is simply certitude.

Natural selection can't explain evolution by itself. As you already know.

And Darwin may no have said 'evolution' in the origin of species but that's also not the full title of the document, it's in fact, "On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life."

Which I know is a different point entirely but most people seem unaware of the racist intent behind the theory in the first place.

That's not true, natural selection alone couldn't cause macro-evolution that's why modern models rely on mutations.

But it's all a moot point because macro evolution never happened.

>Evolution is a fact
>When the empiricism hits this hard

this

Because Neo-Darwinism is making a joke out of it.

They intentionally misunderstand it.

This .

how is it that in the same discussion one person asserts that evolution is not a theory but a fact and someone else comes and says it didn't happen
I swear, this is such an emotionally charged issue you can't even trust primary sources of information, I try to just not think about it

no.
misses the mark and is probably a brainlet

They're taught the wrong way...

"We didn't evolve from MONKEYS!"

Correct. You didn't. You and chimpanzees share a common ancestor.

Interesting.

>misses the mark and is probably a brainlet

I actually think it's a valid point. Doesn't take a full grasp of something to prove it right or wrong. So whether evolution takes billions of years or not it could still be proven or disproven by things that are graspable.

I think people struggle with accepting that things can change even if they don't see the change.

I think they struggle with the evidence. It's not nearly as conclusive as we've been sold and there are alternate historical explanations for pretty much all the fossil evidence.

So then it falls on the mechanisms of natural selection and more importantly mutation. Things we can observe right now, today.

And when we observe them we find natural selection to be true, but the most important element, mutations, to not point towards macro-evolution being possible.

So that's where the stopper seems to be. I personally don't believe in macro evolution any more.

Congrats on watching Richard Dawkins

>Un-ironically quoting his religious propaganda pamphlet about how to deny the truth.

I don't have faith in anything. I have confidence in things, based on rational evidence. I don't have faith that the sun will come up, I know how the earth's rotation works and understand that unkess something changes dramatically it will remain the same. I don't have faith that my friends and family love me, I have years of evidence for it based on their actions. Having blind faith in anything at all and believing for the sake of believing is a thing only retards do.

>addressing endlessly parroted creationist talking points makes you a dawkins worshipper

>
And when we observe them we find natural selection to be true, but the most important element, mutations, to not point towards macro-evolution being possible.

I'm sorry; what?

No pamphlet necessary.

Then you are a brainlet.

Evolution as a phenomenon that occurs in nature is an undeniable fact.

Evolution is simply defined as a change in the genotype of a population through generations.

You can get enough of those genotype changes to see a change in the phenotype of the species. And then, after enough changes, it becomes a new species, generally differentiated by reproductive and phenotipical traits from other species.

Ah you don't know what I'm saying? I thought so, fucking brainlets.

Taxonomy, genetics, even fucking geography supports evolution of species.

Evolution (or nature itself) is only hard to grasp for some because to accept it they must first dismiss all the religious gunk they've been indoctrinated with since childhood.
It's not an easy thing to do.

Some other people are just plain stupid and have only been able to propagate due to the reasonably safe societies we have created.

Can you grasp smoke?

You can grasp my chode and smoke it
nawmsayin

If I drop a rock it will fall to the ground
This is a fact
The theory of gravity attempts to explain this fact

Living things evolve
This is a fact
The theory of natural selection attempts to explain this fact

I think people aren't swayed because they consider Jesus first, Other Stuff second. If you're not consistent with Jesus they don't care what you have to say.

I think if you could somehow teach these people basic genetics without trying to counter their religion, they might be easier to sway.

The time it takes for evolution to make a difference is alarmingly long for many people to understand. To think that evolution takes hundreds of thousands of years when we live barely 80 years is frightening.

the majority of people on earth have never experienced basic calculus and you expect them to understand deeper knowledge like evolution.

because they're being taught that accepting it will be the end of Christianity when Christians were cool with it before they even knew what evolution was

Politics. People want to believe in one of: creationism, racism, or the idea they are generally innately superior to others.

You know I might actually consider what you were saying if you didn't resort to name calling, instead I have to conclude I'd be arguing with a 12 year old boy and so will not bother continuing the conversation.

I think you should seriously consider doubting evolution.

Sorry, that's wrong. The theory of evolution is actually a 'hypothesis' the theory part is a misnomer.

People hate to admit it but you pretty much knew this as a child.

I think your approach is about a billion times better than all the people here calling others names and acting like children. Then again, they could BE children, and probably are, because internet. It's just hard to tell.

It's always amazing and probably very sad, when you find out the dude on the other end acting 13 is really 50.

So yah, I disagree with evolution but I 100% promote your method of trying to persuade people.

do you have anything to back this up with?

No, the theory of natural selection is a theory because it has been repeatedly tested
It is predictive

Sorry for they name calling. One just gets tired of arguing the same over and over.

People don't ever bother making a small investigation. Let alone study or question what they doubt.

Evolution != natural selection alone. Everyone believes in natural selection, even people who believe biblical creation.

I appreciate the apology, very much. Thank you, accepted it.

I know this link might come off as stupid. But check the wikipedia article on Evolution, and for any doubt that may arise. Just go to the references themselves to more in depth info.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution

I can't look for any peer reviewed papers currently so you'll have to dive into the references and see if they convince you.

youtu.be/TzN-uIVkfjg?t=50s

Do you actually consciously weigh the odds every time you think about anything?

>I'm confident this girl (or guy) won't transmit an STD to me
>I'm confident I won't get food poisoning from this food
>I'm confident no other car will hit mine

No one questions natural selection. This renaming the entire concept of evolution thing you guys are doing is nonsense. Quit pretending you don't understand what is being said or talked about and start talking about the actual subject cause you're just wasting your time otherwise and everyone over the age of 12 can see through you.

Actually, pretty sure even a 12 year old could see you playing word games and know that your post was pointless.

>thread instantly devolves into high school tier fedoraposting and false flagging
>both sides presuppose that evolution is incompatible with christianity
>thread had nothing to do with religion to begin with
This is not a good first impression of this board.

actually the answer to why people (generally) have a hard time accepting the evidence and truth of evolution is due to the propaganda of religion.

Please grow up.

>Please grow up.

what I said was a fact.

evolution really isn't that simple

Prove it

because they don't see the genetic changes within one generation it's a very gradual change. Society tells us to focus on money cash hoes instead.

Pretty sure what you said was backwards. Actually the answer to why people (generally) disbelieve the truth - Christ - in college is because they accept the propaganda of Evolution.

In most cases it will probably just boil down to the fact that apes and chimps are still on Earth and they can't or wont accept the theory we share a common ancestor

Burden of proof is not on him. He said it hasn't been observed, something you can't prove because it's a negative.

Burden of proof is on you, to show that it /has/ been observed. Only then could he possibly reply back to you.

Because you can't talked about a 'not'.

A huge amount of the world's misconceptions come from the fact that people have no sense of scale. People don't really often grasp the difference between a million and a billion. It's why reactionaries can discuss "rape epidemics" with "facts" because they don't have any sense of scale in regards to how many people are in Europe. Or how people don't realize how many generations fit into hundreds of millions of years.

No, I think that's Cara Delenvigne actually.

>people responding seriously
c'mon

A lot of people literally don't understand the theory and think we came from chimps instead of us sharing a common ancestor, and there is also a group of people who don't want to entertain the idea that they are just the result of a mutation instead of being perfect and designed with purpose. It's kind of hard to stick with the superior race/gods chosen people/Allahu akbar etc. crap when you realize we're all cousins and it's either we try to find a way to get along as sapient creatures, or we set a precedent where we can take competition to its natural end and the best bloodline wins rather than the best nation, race, or religion (aka divide and conquer as most sects call it).

Religion is, among much else, an emotional coping mechanism.

It seems to follow that religion would be most popular in populations with such intergenerational hardships.

It is.

>Pretty sure what you said was backwards. Actually the answer to why people (generally) disbelieve the truth - Christ - in college is because they accept the propaganda of Evolution.

the great thing about America is that people can be this stupid and we don't even kill them or anything.