Anyone here go from being a bad student to being a good student?

Anyone here go from being a bad student to being a good student?

no i went from an ok undergrad to a terrible grad student

yes, C's and B's in my first year to only As in years 2-4 (B+ in electives)

What do you study?

math

damn
how'd you pull that off

Yeah I turned it all around junior year of college after basically drinking and partying every weekend. I wasnt totally lost, maintaned about a C/low B average. Then went mostly As and high Bs after I cut back on the sauce. Currently doing my masters in machine learning.

No but I went from bad student to good employee

good group of classmates to work with, not skipping class, lots of late nights spent on campus, lots of energy drinks, some grade curving

I went from being rejected from every any major program to being accepted at MIT for grad school.

That's me
>2.1 GPA in high school
>didn't give a shit, was a neet vidya nerd

College
>accepted to state university
>3.9 GPA in Bio (WazzU)
>graduate of UW PharmD program

no senpai. i even tried to CPT-transform my wave function but i seem to be invariant. just learn to live with it.

Ya

In HS and community college I had shit GPA. I didn't study, I didn't care about what I was doing, I didn't care about anything.

Eventually I said fuck working at RetailMart I want to actually do shit.

Now I'm 3.9 GPA Biochem at Uni, getting BSc next year and then to grad school.

If you want to be a good student you need to invest yourself in what you're learning, develop good habits, all that. If you need to convince yourself to work harder, choose a major you care about, and you'll just do it naturally.

Can you guys please provide some study habits you follow? How many hours per week do you spend studying besides going to lectures?

I went from great to bad and then back to great. I don't know of anyone who went from bad to good.

In the UK there's a process called "clearing", where if you do shit in your uni entrance exams you can apply to see if other universities have places. I did shit and cleared to a shit university, worked a lot, graduated top and did a master's at imperial college london (one of the top UK unis). I think that counts.

As far as study habits, its important to work smart as well as hard. If you're spending 10 minutes and then you realise you read only 1 paragraph, its time to take a break. That being said, reading papers can take hours to understand and assimilate them all.

Try to keep track of your habits and see which ones waste time. For example, you need to shop because you're out of food. But if you study for 3 hours, you can go the shops during your break, get a snack, and come back to study again, rather than video gaming and then going the shops. Just an example.

t. heavy autism

How do I go from unemployed graduate to being an employed graduate

For me there is no secret, I work and study from the moment I wake up until I go to bed every weekday and possibly weekend if I have other stuff to do. I just keep my goals in mind and convince myself that they are worth the work.

Went from a 2.3 gpa at my lowest to a 3.7 gpa

I need to break the bad habit of not actually having ambition to do homework. time to start kicking all distractions plus craving for a social life to the curb.

did you really take Linear Algebra four fucking times? Jesus christ

No. I didn't do math or science in the final year of high school and I dropped out. Went back to college and now I'm qualified to draw lines on AutoCAD for 8 hours a day, five days a week.

3 times
the first time was a terrible lin alg for compsci class ("matrix algebra"), since i chose to be a math major after that i decided i wanted to learn it properly so i took the one for math majors, the third time was supposed to be 'advanced linear algebra'

From a 2.1 gpa at a 4 year uni to a 3.9 at CC. Now at another 4 year uni, mainly math classes which is what I'm good at. What changed: No alcohol or substances, attended every class, did all my homework, practice problems.

Sort of......
Shitty at math through HS. Just barely passed.
Went to college, business major.
Took advanced algebra course.
Great professor.
Things fell into place.
Took calculus, diffyQs..
Loved the stuff.
Applied to MIT.
Holy Shit, The let me in.
Graduated with a MSME, Magna Cum

I was an average tier student when I was around 15 in high school. For some mysterious reasons, from one grade to the next, I was suddenly raised from rank 15th to 1st without any extra effort from my side.

With these golden grades, I was able to enter a nice CPGE (French fags will understand, for the other, it's like 2 undergrad years where you get things like 12h a week of maths, 9h a week of physics, multiple weekly tests and so on). I there too ranked among the best of my class (between 3rd and 1st).

I was over my head, thinking the Veeky Forums >any job I want >$300k starting meme was my short term future.

I then entered one of the most prestigious grad school of my country. And the magic stopped. No longer I was the "smart kid that didn't study". I began studying harder but couldn't move out the 66~33% in the rankings. And the impostor syndrome kicked in.

I accepted the collapse and my fate of being average when the top 5% in the ranking counted multiple "lol didn't study for the test" kids, the kind of kid I once was. My future plan went from "almost millionaire by my 30s" to "just graduate and become an average engineer".

But somehow, the international office recognized my autism in moonrunes and, despite my averageness, agreed to send me in a double degree program in glorious Japan.

The magic kicked back in and ended up graduating with full A's over my grade report. This time, I was decided not to burn my luck and sticked with a more serious study routine. Eventually managed to get the two master's degree but the impostor syndrome is still there.

Today: I am a Ph.D. candidate and the disillusion I've been through in my first grad school time stayed imprinted so hard I don't make these god tier future plans anymore. I also realized that degrees matter less than network when it comes to jobs offer, but hope that I'd eventually meme some HR people into thinking I must be a rare genius with all these degrees and they'd put me in a comfy job.

I'm proud of you user.

That's a really good transformation! What do you study and where?

Up until right before HS I was one of the top students in my class, then depression kicked in and I became your average brainlet, getting on average Cs and Ds. Then I got my shit together and now I'm doing fine.

How did you complete two masters without burning out? Also what did your study routine look like?

The two masters were done one after the other so it wasn't that intensive. In the first one (the one I ranked 30~60%) my main issue was that I wasn't able to understand lectures from shitty professors and that their test were full of traps and pitfalls they didn't discuss. I coped by autistically watching lectures from MITOCW, Stanford... and hoping for the best in the tests from my uni.
During the second one (the one abroad where I suddenly got good grades again), the study routine was to get a book on the topic of the course as the semester began and quickly go through it before the course actually discusses the "advanced" points in the lectures. That way, I got a more critical view on the points that were discussed on the lecture without the "I have no idea what he's talking about nor whether it is important or not" feel.

Often professors lack pedagogy and go directly to the difficult points without realizing that the students lack the fundamental knowledge to get what he means. Some dude can extrapolate from incomplete background and still get the more advanced stuff, some other can't. I was among the ones who couldn't so the "looking ahead in the books" was my way to compete with more intelligent people.

Also, no matter what Veeky Forums is trying to make anons believe, brainlet friendly material isn't worthless. In my case, I had hard times to get intuition on how to approach the thought process about quantum mechanics and general relativity. Veeky Forums would tell you to read dirac and Pauli papers and to go skip special relativity since it is included in the general case. I've been through babbie tier "theoretical minimum" Susskin's lectures on youtube then through MIT's undergrade 8.04 before attacking the "real stuff". This not the Veeky Forums way of doing but if you listen to anons here, they'd try to tell you they learned how to make derivatives by reading Newton's Method of Fluxions.

> "Often professors lack pedagogy and go directly to the difficult points without realizing that the students lack the fundamental knowledge to get what he means."

so much this. i've been shamed by a bad professors when talking to them after class. "maybe university isn't for you," they said. they had no ability to fucking teach the material let alone relate to others. huge mystery why >60% of your students fail. i thought i was "bad at math" for the longest time but this was not the case at all, my highest grades are in my math and stats courses. a good professor makes so much of a difference, but knowing you won't always have one certainly helps foster better habits around seeking out materials yourself.

Anons, how do I raise my GPA. I have a 3.1 right now in my first year, but I can't edit be bothered to work harder while at the same time constantly stressing about not being able to work hard. Does anyone have any good tips on increasing motivation and note taking skills?

Started out as ~3.9 for two years, last semester was 3.0, doing better this one though. MechE which I fucking hate and regret doing but it's too late to switch.

I went from being a good student to a bad student. I had all A's my first year. mostly A's with a few B's and a C taking the first and second year grad courses during my second and third years of undergrad, and mostly A's in my fourth year. Then I was so lazy that I didn't do anything on my undergraduate project so I did another year and got a C on it.

The trend basically ruined any chance I have of getting into a good graduate school, but I'm so indifferent and apathetic that I don't care. Nothing to look forward to but wage cucking.

went from being a mediocre student in high school (Gr. 12 average was like 70%) to being mediocre in my first UG in psych/philosophy (upward trend, last year was a ~3.56 gpa), to now doing a second undergraduate with a ~3.90 gpa.

could be doing better. my advice is to be more focused on school, study smart rather than study hard. meditate to get your mind in the zone and be less vulnerable to procrastination

what's your second major

second undergraduate is in math+comp sci, btw.

philosophy is actually harder than math. get at me plebs. then again, i went to a top 15 school for humanitites to a retard school for math

Yes. Unfortunately, my past is still haunting me. I either have to retake all those courses I fucked up in or have a low GPA that isn't reflective of my intelligence.

Impressive

Glad to see I'm not only one hating biostats

I went from being a B student to a A/B student once I hit rock bottom and my dream college denied my application for their Chem eng program. Nothing is as good a motivator as seeing your dreams slip your grasp because you're a piece of shit.

Transfer to community college and retake the classes.

Yes, whenever I come out of an episode of depression

Why do you hate mechE?
t. Concerned mechE fresher

100% guaranteed to work
All you have to do is show that you want to pass go to office hours tell the teacher to make you understand. You will learn that you aren't trying pretty hard and will also understand what they are trying to teach you. At the worst it will impress the teachers

>Introduction to Canadian law

I was a good student, now I'm shit