Interesting work environments

How many of you guys work at interesting locations for your various scientific (or non-scientific) jobs? And if you do work at an interesting or remote location where is it at and what do you do there? The Antarctic, under the ocean, remote mines, any place that you hazardous place that you won't find many people at.

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/sci/thread/S8582725#p8583560
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

*any place potentially hazardous that you won't find many people at.

Why are the buildings above the ground?

I don't. But I remember some user here who (from his posts) worked for a while at McMurdo. Which I thought was pretty cool.
warosu.org/sci/thread/S8582725#p8583560

>>putting the whole building inside the ice sheet that is moving at a rate of 10 meters a year

better question, but with a less important answer: why can't you think?

>I don't know the answer but let me pretend I do
And columns are the best solution? Doesn't seem like much of a difference

Yes. Look at Halley VI.

I work in a bunker/datacenter disguised as a dentist office doing remote IT shit. Its kind of neat.

Why are data centers disguised?

For us its to impress potential clients that come on tours, but its also to hide the fact that we have like $30 million worth of servers and virtual hosts here.

What kind of stuff do you do there?

That's retarded! What if someone comes in with a dental emergency?

Me and around 100 other people are a contracted IT department for small banks, law offices, etc. We also host cloud storage services and business server hosting and shit.
Then they came to the wrong neighborhood mother fucker

It snows, you don't want to be snowed in.
Your heat will freeze the snow leaving you iced in, that's worse than being snowed in.

Polar bears are afraid of stares but pinguines are not, so when the polar bears attack the pinguines it gives them somewhere to flee to. Sometimes they will just build platforms with stares for pinguines to congregate on.

When I was in the military (USA) I had a buddy who did a tour in Antarctica before coming to our unit (he had the awards for it and all). The stories of degeneracy were outrageous. Rampant day drinking, sex parties, etc. I thought he was full of shit and fucking with us until I got into grad school and met a professor that had done some time there too. He was shocked that I knew some details until I brought up military service. He admitted that the stories were true and that it is an open secret.

When was all of this?

When I was in the Navy, I was attached to a ship that dropped off some sort of US state spooks to an island with caches of weapons, equipment and built a weather station on it.

Didn't ask about it because no one else knew bar the XO and Captain, but I was sharing my quarters with one of them.

Mid 2000's

>navy
>XO and Captain, but I was sharing my quarters with one of them.
Know how I know that you're full of shit? I was a commissioned officer in the Navy. CO has his own cabin and XO has a stateroom that is only shared with VIPS (even on fast attacks this remains true). LARP harder faggot because if you were in the service then you would never be considered VIP.

>inb4 SEAL
Nope they have their own areas.

Stories please

I was an ensign, I only know because I had to drop those faggots off to shore to build the shitty weather station. These faggots never spoke to us other than to ask us to carry shit, specifically the boxes we had to carry ashore.

When i said them, i meant the faggots who were attached to us.

Also did your buddy tell you which station it was? The photo I posted is the Amundsen-Scott South Pole station. Seems like a pretty cool place from what I've seen.

So they don't melt and destabilize the ice and compacted snow.