STEM textbook general

Pic related are in my self-study holster. Are they terrible? Is there better? Recommendations pls.

Also /textbook/ general.

Other urls found in this thread:

Veeky
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>2011
>Owns physical books

Shiggity diggity, you lost your dignity. Get with the times, grandpa. All the material is found on the Internet.

pls senpai i am new to Veeky Forums no bully desu

Place them upright, otherwise they degrade faster.

Here are the Dover books I like:
Feynman's path integrals
Dirac's lectures on QM (really good, unrelated to his qm textbook)
Jordan's linear operators for QM
Mendelson, Gamelin, and Kohn's topology books are all okay
Willard's topology is great
Rosenlicht's analysis (really good, move on to Rudin afterwards)
Kolmogorov and Fomin's real analysis
Bishop's tensor analysis on manifolds
Artin's Galois theory (terrible typesetting)
geometry of classical fields (it's about physics, bad typesetting)
Ash's complex variables (really good, better than Ahflors, Conway, Lang)

don't worry, he probably has never read a single book from his 1tb ebook collection.

Nothing feels more satisfiying than having matching yellow Springer books.

So all the branches of Science are: Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Astronomy, and Earth Sciences, yes? Every other field of science is just a mixture of more than one of those, or a subfield of those, yes?

What's a good introductory book for Magnetohydrodynamics (MHD)?

Hartog is the man!

for any major not pure mathematics, the best book is KA stroud engineering mathematics and advanced engineering mathematics.

Been using them since first year, now in an MSc and still using them

I can tell you never actually read a book. Reading off screens is fucking horrible.

oh look, another book collector thread

reading a book is a million times nicer but i can't quite pinpoint why

whats your gpa/major

Seriously. I read faster with print books, can't fucking stand reading off a screen.

>Ash's complex variables (really good, better than Ahflors, Conway, Lang)

Is it better than using Stein & Shakarchi + Schaum's? I'm taking complex right now and I've learned next to nothing thanks to a terrible lecturer, have to go back through it over the summer and take the graduate sequence next year. Do you think Ash would be a good second in-depth look at the subject?

>JP Den Hartog

my fuckin' nigga.

Mathematical Cryptography
The Nature of Computation

Yes. It's like little Rudin in style and Rudin also satisfies the prereqs

But baby Rudin is a terrible text user. People only like it cuz of muh Rigor. Apostol/Pugh are better because they actually do the proofs and explain things well

I always thought so as well. Buy a tablet. You won't be distracted by your usual computer shit and it feels a lot more like reading a book. I haven't bought a single book since I bought the tablet and I read like at least 2 books a month.

A certain uncertainty from mark silverman

Oh look! Another textbook thread.
Because collecting books makes you a better scientist.

Exactly. Reading off a computer screen kills your eyes.

>not having a technical library

Anyone here know a good introductory textbook for physics? I'm learning calculus right so I think I'd be fine following a calculus based one.

Dover books are usually fine but there are betters if you don't mind getting used.
[citation needed]
Biology ⊂ Chemistry
Chemistry, Earth Sciences and Astronomy ⊂ Physics

There are intro physics textbooks that don't require calculus?

Well I assume that there are some that don't.

>Biology ⊂ Chemistry
In many respects, yes. However, it's so big of a field and so specialized, that it's worth being its own field. It also requires an entirely different approach compared to chemistry.
>Chemistry, Earth Sciences and Astronomy ⊂ Physics
Depending on the sense of scale. I can't really attest to Earth Science/Astronomy, but at least in chemistry, the approach you take to a problem is far different from physics. Outside of physical and computational chemistry, physical models don't really capture the full picture of what's going on in a chemical system. Chemistry often deals with bulk solutions/materials, where physics generally focuses on one or two aspects of what's happening. That said, physics is a supremely useful tool to use when solving chemical questions.

That's for CDs

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Physics_Textbook_Recommendations#High_School

I've been looking for this one Programming book all morning and I haven't had any luck, does anyone know where I can find a pdf of
Programming, Problem Solving and Abstraction with C by A Moffat, 2nd edition (2012-2013)

I have found the more books you have the less likely you are to read any of them.

i would guess that is generally true because people who can afford large quantities of books are already in a career and read only for pleasure. small book collections are for children (who treasure each one) and poor students crammed into tiny rooms.

Very readable

>actually reading textbooks and not just finding the couple of pages you need at the time

lmao what are you an academic?

But isn't that what you guys are doing right now?

Brb gonna start printing out every webpage before I read it

> Biology ⊂ Chemistry
> What are emergent properties?

1. get books from some russian sites
2. when you get serious (trying to finish a book), print them
3. if you really really happy with the book, buy it