Give me the answer to this one. Either I'm an idiot or the answer section in my book is wrong

Give me the answer to this one. Either I'm an idiot or the answer section in my book is wrong.
Please, ty!

270/25

= 54 over 5. In reduced terms

so who's the idiot the book or you?

10 / (25 / 27)
= (1 / 10) * (25 / 27)
= (27 / 270) * (250 / 270)
= (27 * 250) / 270
= 52

weird notation of 10/(25/27)=10.8

The book.

Qt. Bet she's Korean

10 = 10/1.
You tellingg me that's not generic?

Not supposed to do fractions by calculator

-1/12

Right. .
Wat??

>division sign
>combined with large-format fraction
>no parentheses

Doing math wrong, I shiggity diggity.

wat

10 ÷ 25/27 = 10 x 27/25
so 2 x 27/5 = 54/5

54/5

What is 'large format' fraction

54/5

[math] 10\div\frac{25}{27} [/math]
Is equal to [math] 10\cdot\frac{27}{25} [/math]
Therefore [math]\frac{10}{1}\cdot\frac{27}{25}=\frac{270}{25}[/math] Which reduces to [math]\frac{54}{5}[/math]

10÷25/27 = n
10(27)÷25 = 27n
270÷25 = 27n
270*(1/25) = 27n
270*1 = 27*25*n
270 = 675n

n = 2/5

10÷25/27 = 2/5
10(5)÷25(5)/27 = 2
50÷125/27 = 2
50(27)÷125 = 2(27)
1350÷125 = 2(27)
10.8 = 54
10.8-54 = 54-54
-43.2 = 0
-43.2/-43.2 = 0/-43.2

1 = 0

Hope this helps.

How did you do that? Also correct. Also, this is why I hated math despite being good at it. So many ways to mess it up and be technically wrong/right.

>So many ways to mess it up and be technically wrong/right.

There is no "technically wrong/right". This definition of division by fractions is the only one consistent with basic arithmetic. It is not an arbitrary convention.

wasted trips

fuck off newfag

>So many ways to mess it up and be technically wrong/right.

100% wrong. Math is the fairest subject because it's objectively provable.

(you)

Wrong. In every other subject you either no it or you don't. Generally you can even mispell the answer and still get it right if its close enough. but with math you can know it, have a brain, fart and forget to carry or subtract something miniscule and end up being wrong. I have ADHD. That is no bueno for me. I still got straight A's for the most part in all math subjects but honestly it is my least favorite subject followed by english because it's the bullshit described above.

As compared to compacted format like pic related. You should never use that either but at least it implies a cohesive unit like parentheses would.

You aren't good at math, you are good at counting
If you were good at math you would understand exactly why you can multiple by the reciprocal

Just asking. How did you get those math symbols?

I wanna respond to people without having to use awkward (x/z) format.

Read the sticky

this is taught to third graders dude

What section of the sticky? I'm having trouble finding it.

I promise to contribute useful comments to this board and not be a popsci fag.

In case there are newfags lurking:

The ambiguity is in the notation. When given a problem like this and you read it left to right (since its the same operation) you can read it as "10 divided by 25 divided by 27)

Or you can reduce the fraction first and read it as "ten divided by the quotient of 25 divided by 27"

Each yields a different answer depending on how you interpret the problem. This is why you don't see the left most divide symbol past 3rd grade.

[math] the\ magic\ section[/math]

Nevermind I found out that it involves using LaTex commands, in hindsight the TEX preview logo in the reply box should have been a hint.

I still hate you though. Unhelpful cunt.

The difference is in the line being horizontal or diagonally?

No

That, and the size. It's not used for formal math, but neither are division signs.

I gotta start over after a like 10 year hiatus and several years of drugs, omg you wouldn't believe how everything seems just vanished from my mind it's pretty disheartening

I was being helpful. (the magic section guy isn't me).

The sticky explains how to use LaTeX better than I can here.

Read again, scrub. I understood exactly why you can multiply by the reciprocal and why user's answer was correct and the most elegantly stated. That has nothing to do with what I was saying. What I was saying is basically this, Math is my least favorite subject because unlike, say, biology where you would be hard pressed to know the answer or process and still get an answer wrong this is something very unique to math that I dislike.

Like, if you know that mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell, when someone asks you what they powerhouse of the cell is you would be hard pressed to think mitochondria, write, "mito-" and end up with "mitomycin." If you were right in the beginning, you will be write in the middle and right at the end. But math can JUST you if you're not careful and I'm not a careful person because I have ADHD and I find that fact frustrating. And its a frustration unique to math. Get it, billy?

I'd like to unsubscribe from your blog

pemdas is infuriating because people cling to it like a godgiven law rather than some rule of thumb.

then you have the whole left-to-right crow that refuses to acknowledge that an expression might simply be ambiguous or malformed

but highschoolers can not into seeing written mathematics as simply an encoding of the actual underlying meaning

10÷25÷27
10÷25/27
10/25÷27
10/25/27

=10*27/25

I don't make sense out of this

>tfw math major with adhd and know another
you just gotta put more work into it than other people may

>no it
>its
>brain, fart
>I have hispanic ADHD
>math can just you if you're not careful and I'm not a careful person because I have ADHD
I'm frustrated because I think you meant to say down-syndrome
also
>mexican intellectuals

54 over 5. It's not difficult OP.

10/25/27

|256-◦3|

you got the inverse mate. 2nd line, you've written 1/10 instead of 10/1. Thats why you got it wrong