Poetry doesn't have to rhyme

>poetry doesn't have to rhyme

Go away anime poster

>poetry has to rhyme

Not OP but why don't you fuck off of Veeky Forums? Your life here is fleeting, anime is forever :^)

>poetry doesn't need to have the same amount of syllables in each line
>poetry doesn't have to rhyme
>poetry of 14 lines mustn't be a sonnet
>rhymeless decasyllablic poetry isn't epic
>dodecasyllabilic poetry isn't slow, weeping, sorrowful
>l'art pour l'art is frowned upon
>form not over content

>but non-sensical form, with lines wherever, slam-poetry is good goy!

just fuck my shit up senpai
fuck the academia
fuck pomo

Listen, no one cares about form or style, as long as what you're discussing has a profound message. All form can really do is enhance this, and the only thing that pomo academia really got wrong is denigrating the role of human meaning, emotion and dignity, and replacing it with incoherent nonsense, probably because pomo thinkers are all French and therefore have nothing interesting to say

>implying poetry is a singular form and doesn't encompass many forms.

rhyme>meter

What the fuck is this supposed to mean?

Where does one begin the study of poetic structure?
I want to learn how to create sexy blocks of text that moisturize feminine nether regions

It's >poetry doesn't has to rhyme

Harold Blooms "Poems of the English Language" gives a good overview, both the technical side and examples of famous poetry in English in the last 1000 years or so.

>only one specific form I like counts as poetry
>poetry that plays with other forms is not poetry

tru.

Free Verse is about the form being custom fitted to the content, if it fails to do so, then it fails as a piece. This is not free-verse's fault.

>>poetry doesn't need to have the same amount of syllables in each line
>what are elegaic couplets

plebbiest post I've ever read to be honest

I know right. where do these dipshits come from and why do they think they can post on a GODDAMN LITERATURE BOARD?

These. I'm very mad.

Rhyming poetry didn't start until latter Middle Age Italy

>poetry doesn't need to have the same amount of syllables in each line
While there was generally a good average of number of syllables per line, early poetry, like Homer and Psalms, is not remotely consistent on that, they did not count syllables consciously.

>early poetry, like Homer and Psalms, is not remotely consistent on that, they did not count syllables consciously.
>Homer
>didn't count syllables consciously
>what is dactylic hexameter

Fun fact: you don't have to tell us.

uh, yes, no matter what fuckwit trys to tell you, GOOD poetry HAS to rhyme. nonrhyming poetry is middleschool tier garbage.

THE Measure is English Heroic Verse without Rime, as that of Homer in Greek, and Virgil in Latin; Rhime being no necessary Adjunct or true Ornament of Poem or good Verse, in longer Works especially, but the Invention of a barbarous Age, to set off wretched matter and lame Meeter; grac't indeed since by the use of some famous modern Poets, carried away by Custom, but much to thir own vexation, hindrance, and constraint to express many things otherwise, and for the most part worse then else they would have exprest them. Not without cause therefore some both Italian, and Spanish Poets of prime note have rejected Rhime both in longer and shorter Works, as have also long since our best English Tragedies, as a thing of itself, to all judicious ears, triveal, and of no true musical delight; which consists onely in apt Numbers, fit quantity of Syllables, and the sense variously drawn out from one Verse into another, not in the jingling sound of like endings, a fault avoyded by the learned Ancients both in Poetry and all good Oratory. This neglect then of Rhime so little is to be taken for a defect, though it may seem so perhaps to vulgar Readers, that it rather is to be esteem'd an example set, the first in English, of ancient liberty recover'd to heroic Poem from the troublesom and modern bondage of Rimeing.

>He's still falling for the invention of a barbarous age.

>poetry doesn't have to be poetry / this is poetry

How do I write good poems?

I don't know where to start or what method to use.

it doesn't

if you think it does, you're missing the whole point of poetry

>His verses don't rhyme
>His verses don't even have the same number of syllabels
>he doesn't use metre in his poems

Do any poets use the rhyme fake-out?

Breaking rhyme is used to convey certain emotions and tonalities otherwise incommunicable through meter. Duh.

>incommunicable through meter.
This idea is why modern poetry is fucking cancer. Writing incoherent, erratic nonsense with linebreaks every second word doesn't make for a stronger emotion, it makes for hardly readable, shit prose

You're over exaggerating. It doesn't have to be erratic or break every second word, that's not a trait intrinsic to free verse. That's like equating Rupi with TS Eliot.

>He doesn't simply allow himself to enjoy the aesthetic experience of beautifully organized language
>He can only worry about whether or not everything follows his special little rules

Rupi's use of line breaks with Eliot's*

>denigrating the role of human meaning, emotion and dignity, and replacing it with incoherent nonsense, probably because pomo thinkers are all French and therefore have nothing interesting to say
I suppose you must be French then because this is nonsense.

rhyme>meter

>Not understanding what meter does to the aesthetic of the language

Meter IS organized language use, dickwad, not your linebreak legos

just because there are lazy-shit poets, doesn't mean all modern poetry is shit.

Miyamori
is
olev

No, you!

>Poetry shouldn't smell

so like at what time did ur fate come to mind
I tripped on what was fallen
and landed safely
what risk takes great men

who told u this???
what kinda dumdum

so far when from I came worry
last on all my sake to hurry
life like staring gone wrong
I wrang my wrists like heaven's song
sold forth from what became what I asked it to
only I could undo

Get out gins(((berg)))

where is her nose??

>what is dactylic hexameter

A very flexible meter.

What are some book recommendations on learning to write poetry?