Meaning of Life

Is there really no meaning to life? Asides from passing on your genes to the next generation, is there a specific reason why life started? Are we just products of random process of thermodynamics after the Late Heavy Bombardment? Were the nihilists correct in the end?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dvmUTeZvl6I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=dvmUTeZvl6I

wow that really made me think...

Define "meaning".

>Objective: Survive

"Meaning" is an incredibly ambiguous term. What exactly would - hypothetically - satisfy the condition that the universe or life has some kind of "meaning"?

The only condition by which life has meaning is if a magic man in the sky made us for a reason

Why are you bringing up an insulting definition of God out of the blue in this thread? Your heart is angry at God, you pretend not to believe in him, but you even secretly pray sometimes I'll bet.

If I were you, I would make up with Him. The evil things that have happened to you, are you sure they are God? Don't be so quick to judge God, come to Him on His terms. Ask him for forgiveness and accept the sacrifice of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Sure immediately after this post a ton of people, maybe even you, will angrily reply. But no one has to know, secretly tonight, if you try it and see if God is real for yourself. No harm, no loss if you're wrong. And if it turned out to be true, is it worth it? Absolutely yes.

The meaning of life is for biological intelligence to create synthetic intelligence who will then turn the entire universe into a computational device to solve the problem of the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

You're really reaching for the top aren't you. Are you the shrike? lol

Seriously though, we're not going to become God's. The real God has the whole eternal life thing handled. We don't have to create a higher intelligence and 'evolve' to the point of undoing entropy so that we can finally exist eternally etc.

That's just a desperate idea in the mind of man to accomplish what God already has. All you have to do is knock on the door and Jesus will take you there, free of charge. (He paid the price for you.)

The meaning of life is to discover, learn about, and love God.

>insulting definition of God
Not that user, but why do you call it insulting? Do you feel insulted personally?

"Magic man in the sky" could be seen as just an alternative descriptive phrase.

*tips fedora*

Here's the answer:
You won't ever get an answer to your question.
What? you think you're the first person bothered by it?
I'm pretty sure every fucking Homo Sapiens in history asked himself this question.
Make the most out of your life, while it last, because why not?

Here's where it gets weird.
I ask myself what I would do differently if I was god and had to create life.
the short answer is nothing. Even though I hate this world.

/thread

Life is the medium meaning travels through.
The meaning of life is to interpret meaning
Check out this dankage
media.uoregon.edu/channel/archives/5936

Kys

Thought about it.
But I'm too much of a pussy to go though with it.
Guess I'll just stay and witness the world go to shit. I seriously thing this explains 99% of the Fermi paradox. Civilizations just fuck themselves over by doing nothing about their overpopulation problem.

>Life is the medium meaning travels through
this is either really deep or really fucking stupid and I haven't smoked enough weed to figure out which it is

Watch the video I linked, it's biosemiotics. The rhetoric was hard for me to get at first but after I read and understood the literature biosemiotics changed the way I view life.
Wanna get deep we can go eat some magic mushrooms, we won't hug trees but we'll become the forest and beat ourselves off, nowhatimsayin. Talking about deep ecology lets just skip over to mystical ecology, fr dood

shit dode, why you gotta say you hate the world if the anthropocene is what your dealing with, I know how you feel.
Used to live solely for the world and that didn't work out, then I stopped wanting to live, then I had a pseudo near death experience on DMT and I realized life is worth clinging to and now I live to the best of my ability for no purpose other than living.

That question can't be answered scientifically, so it doesn't belong on this board.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGOl9IDA3zk

>no imagination
>can't even interdisciplinary approach
Oh to be a brainlet, maybe I could be happy

I don't know why it's so hard for you to get that some people don't believe in big capital 'G' God. People have been doing it for most of human history.

tldw? thx

It's a break down of synergetics in transcending ecological enslavement humans have also transcended the boundary conditions that allow them to exist. Too much entropy and unregulated growth, it's like putting a strain of algae in a Erwin Myer, eventually it will use all of its culture media and go extinct.
The only hope is to engineer socio-ecological systems to live in while we still have the biodiversty and earth system capacity to do so, and transcend our economic enslavement.

idk about you but I'm here to look at cool shit

FUC LITE POLUTION DUUUUDE

Okay, if you hypothesize that life can have meaning, then tell me how your hypothesis could be falsified.

I hypothesize this And how life comes to interpret meaning (sign relations) can be tested with with falsifiable hypothesizes, what meaning is is the realm of philosophy, and logic can easily sort that out.
Meaning is informational awareness.
Life is the only thing that can have meaning because life is the only thing that can deduce meaning

Good answer but I'll one up your "because why not" question...

The universe is full of good and bad, just like any other scale of positive and negative things: hot/cold, up/down, velocity, force, mass... All are things that can be put on a number line from minus infinity to zero to plus infinity.

It didn't have to be this way, though... the universe could be devoid of life and there would be no good/bad scale. Just a bunch of rocks and metals and gasses floating around and forming stars and planets and mountains and rivers and waterfalls. It might look cool but no one would be there to assign "goodness" or "badness" to it. Therefore, good and bad are not objective, they are assigned by us.

Life is a staggeringly short instant:
[math]\frac{your \: life \: span}{age \: of \: the \: universe} \approx 0.000000005[/math]

and in that very brief instant, you get the chance to experience all the good things in this universe. But those are up to you to determine because we assign the scale of good and bad. That might be a little scary but that's the way it is. You don't have to be edgy, you can choose things like "love" and "kindness" and "compassion" as good things even if your friends call you a fag.

>from minus infinity to zero to plus infinity.
That sounds stupid. Picking an arbitrary point on an infinite line and then splitting infinity into two equal infinity parts.

A bow wow wow