95% of the students from my uni write the conclusion paper (don't know how you call it in english) just because they...

95% of the students from my uni write the conclusion paper (don't know how you call it in english) just because they must do it to finish the course, doing as little work as possible.

I still have two years to conclude my chem degree and I plan to invest a lot of time on it and really try to do a good job. Then I ask Veeky Forums, is it possible to write an useful conclusion paper? I don't want to get a nobel prize for it but would be nice to do something other people could use.

>btw theme will be food or green chemistry.

If it's good enough, you can make an abridged version and try to get it published in a peer reviewed journal. I got a paper published as an undergrad.

>conclusion paper (don't know how you call it in english)
Dissertation? Thesis?

Did your teacher had anything to do with this or you just send a copy to the journal and they liked it? I have no idea on how this things work. I literally just email them a copy and they say if it will be published? Do you get any money from them?

Where I live:

>graduation
course conclusion paper
>master
dissertation
>doctorate
thesis

We don't call the final work of a graduate dissertation or thesis.

For my part, my paper is published in a conference proceedings rather than a journal, so the procedure is likely different. My supervisor and I sent an abstract (about 2 pages) summarizing our research to the conference and were admitted. Once the talk is given, the conference asks you to write up a paper for their proceedings. I recommend doing that, ask your supervisor what conferences you should send the abstract to.

In America it's usually called an undergraduate thesis

My last supervisor did this conference thing last year but I don''t know about the proceedings. Maybe it takes some time to produce.

For example, can I write alone a literature review about a very specific topic then email a sample to journals? Will they even bother to read when they see a single, unknown author on it?

It's becoming more and more common for undergraduates to publish in journals. I think there's no harm in giving it a shot, they'll likely read it and, if it's good enough, publish it.

>Then I ask Veeky Forums, is it possible to write an useful conclusion paper? I don't want to get a nobel prize for it but would be nice to do something other people could use.

Unless your basing it off of original research done with your research advisor or an extremely thorough and well written literature review, it probably won't be useful to anyone. I don't know how your school handles undergrad research, but get started on that if you can and turn your research results into your final paper

Regardless of what you're actually doung you should have a research advisor that you chose from among your chem professors. Talk to them and they'll help you with everything. Doing a solo lit review with only the experience of an undergrad is a bit out of reaxh, so you'll need someone intimate with the field to help guide you. They can them help you do everything better, edit, critique, help decide what's the best journal to subit to, and help give access to journal submissions. At worst they'd be second author on the paper.
If for some reason you don't want to use any of the human resources that you're going to uni for, there are specific submission guidelines to follow; don't just email the paper. Speak to your department office and they can give you all the help you need.

>btw theme will be food or green chemistry.

cook food with supercritical fluids.

I'm thinking about doing something with educational purpose, something teachers can use to teach kids or something that volunteers can use to help dumbfags visualize what they are trying to explain (water waste, food waste, bad practices of construction) beause where I live people love to waste useful goods. This way I don't need to do anything too complicated.

I'm gonna look for a teacher, just asking out of curiosity.

It is the standard path to go. undergrad research > final paper. I don't know if it will be accepted in my case because the teachers are already doing research and you join them. I would like to propose a research (we don't have somebody specialized in food science) but I doubt they gonna accept.
Is this possible in USA? can you go to your teacher and say you need his help to research X. If I do this here they probably gonna tell me to join them or fuck off.

>water waste, food waste
biogas reactor

I was thinking about home level and not industry/lab. I would like to write something that can be reproduced using simple equipments. This way I don't need to do something overcomplicated (I'm undergrad) and simple people can access and use the text. Don't know how it works in USA but my uni is public so anyone has access to undergraduates thesis.

Good idea.

Common situations in my country:

>tons of food wasted while hobos supposedly starve
>what is environment?
>people trying to steal wherever an opportunity appears
>overuse of any chemical, even medicine
>crop rotation is alien concept
>stealing nearby land is easier than rotating crop
>organic and green fertilizer is for fags, fuck nature
>marketing and logistics are alien concept for the small producer so they just waste like 50% of production
>no responsibility for anything unless the law orders to you

Maybe I can get a bunch of published project, plug them and write about using this to teach people.

You're South American aren't you?

Same deal in Australia, we just call it a minor thesis.

right

Is this thread about a tese de conclusão de curso?

>is it possible to write an useful conclusion paper?

Yes. I know people that have had theirs published. Have you picked your topic yet? Its usually best to do it in an area you plan to work or research in, it gives you something to talk about at the interview which will put you ahead.