Philosophy newfag here. I want to get into Nietzsche first, because I feel like he matches my worldview...

Philosophy newfag here. I want to get into Nietzsche first, because I feel like he matches my worldview. Where do I start with him? Any recommended charts?

With Nietzsche start with Beyond Good and Evil, but don't just read him because he fits your worldview (not sure how you know that if you haven't read him) but might want to do some initial reading first.

I'd suggest you read up on his love-tragedy with Lou Salome.

I don't mean to take your joy from you, but... well, consider it a warning; for myself, learning all about that business considerably affected how many of his statements sound.

Otherwise, huh. I can't honestly tell you which book you ought to pick up first; I haven't been even through half of them. But I would recommend you try to find the Kaufmann translation of whichever book you decide upon.

You have a point.
Also, association; be wary not to read simply in order to confirm what you already believe.

start with the motherfucking Greeks

Nietzche references them a lot, both Greek philosophy and tragic drama.

Nietzsche is pretty self-contained for a philosopher, you don't have to read the whole canon to understand him, like you would if you wanted to understand a philosopher like Kant for example.

completely wrong. Nietzsche was one of the first philosophers to respond to almost everyone, like Hegel

Protip: if you think Nietzsche is "le edgy the strong should rule xddd" then you aren't even close

Read books that defy your worldview.

This is pretty wrong, Nietzsche attacks and criticize almost every canon philosopher.

You're both wrong, he has works that are effectively just isolated aphorisms like The Gay Science and you have works that are beautiful sweeps of the entire western canon like Genealogy.

This

read kant's groundwork, mill's utilitarianism, plato's 5 dialogues and something of shopenhaur's first before you do, then read Beyond good and evil and on the geneology of morals into zarathustra last (his best work).

if you really want to get inside his head listen to some music by wagner and maybe some greek poetry or stories like the illiad to learn about apollo and dionysus and why he loved them so much. He also really liked wagner's music but had a falling out for some reason.

I'm just about done with a philosophy course and I love nietzsche as well but he has incredible scope in his writing, so you need to have understood all the people before him to get what's he's talking about. Also he talks in metaphor a lot so his ideas aren't exactly very accessible, it will require lots of time and conscious effort but it's pretty worth it imo.

Also, I haven't completed any of his works yet but I have a friend who swears by him and has told me what philosophers you definitely need to read before him.

He's very polarizing and for a reason; he's trying to shock you out of being solely rational, which is the goal for majority of the preceding major philosophers. Nietzsche moves things into a new direction, however, if you lack the fundamental understanding of philosophy (plato and later kant primarily) you won't understand why he's so aggressive and critical of philosophers and goes so far in a radical direction. The point is that he's trying to shock you back in the opposite direction so that you find a middle-ground. if you don't read anything before him, you're getting exposed to ideas that are really dangerous without a good foundation.

tl;dr bare minimum, read: euthyphro, the apology (plato for both), kant's metaphysics and get an overview of shopenhaur/mill (just look up a vid or something).

I would suggest reading EVERYTHING i mentioned before, but 2 dialogues and kant should be enough. If you read nietzsche without anything prior you're a retard desu.

If you even want to hope to understand nietzsche completely, you have to unironically start with the greeks

Ignore the other fags. This guy's legit.

There really ought to be a chart detailing a straight path of recommendations into fully comprehending Nietzsche's works.

This

We have this thread everyday

Isn't he the meme king that started that?

Nietzsche literally is writing on the presupposition that you know philosophy well, and would yell at you for being so dogmatic about him.

Unfortunately I'm just starting on the Veeky Forums path and ill-fitted to offer any suggestions. I'd like to get to Nietzsche eventually and be fully prepared when I do so. I'm sure a lot of people as well want to dive straight into his works so a prerequisite recommendations guide might be practical for both putting an end to the constant threads about Nietzsche along with inhibiting the growth of callow readers who only wish to indulge in his philosophy to confirm their own bias.

The Bible (Acts and Epistles)
Republic
Faust
wikipedia kant and schoppy
Birth of Tragedy
Genealogy of Morals
Zarathustra