What is medicine really like really?

Well sci bros I fell for the Physics meme.
I'm halfway through my physics undergraduate course at college and am going to drop it and do medicine in another euro country.
I'm leaving physics because i realised while studying that I had to dedicate time to it but I honestly didn't want to spend/exchange my time to learn the maths and abstract physics concepts.
I had doubts in first year and thought I'd give it another hear to be sure. I'm glad I did it as I've learned a lot but I don't think it's for me.
I wanted to do medicine towards the end of high school but physics caught my interest.
What is medicine really like? I know physics was portrayed quite differently as to how it really is.

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/jK4U7bk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Incoming reality-check.
You don't have what it takes to study Medicine.

Medical studies in a nutshell:
* Rote memorization
* Blood
* Slime
* Shit
* Urine
* Difficult people

medicine is autist level attention to detail and memory retention. We're talking 5 hours every night for 5 years of pure reading and memorization.

There's a reason only pajeets and chinks do it. They are robot people without souls anyway, it comes naturally.

Dedicating time to study isn't really a problem.
Being honest I don't mind spending time studying , once I get something in return that motivates me to do the studying.
To get into physics at a top university I studied hard in high school and didn't mind as I knew I was exchanging time for something (at the time) I wanted and so happily gave it the time.

>watches The Big Bang Theory
>thinks it's representative of real science

I see a lot of people like you at university, OP. Always the dumbest people in the room.
I mean, if you're stupid enough to watch that show and think 'huehue i want to be just like those nerdy guys on tv' - you don't have what it takes to study medicine, let alone physics.

You really don't belong at university. It kills people like you. Especially medicine - the workload is almost as heavy as engineering (though not as difficult).

And don't think for a second anyone on Veeky Forums knows anything about it because only about 2% of people on this board have gone to university - most are fucking tradespeople.

Physics is not a meme, you just never really liked it to begin with. Probably saw people on this board posting 'physics and maths only real majors' threads.

Sorry, but it's true. Only study something you are willing to read about all day, every day. You should know this if you've been to university.

I knew I should've used a different picture...
I said it to the other poster too, workloads don't bother me. I was just giving a back story as to why i'm leaving physics.

Thanks I've realised that too myself. I think this is a lesson people should read before hand rather than learn while in university

Well you know what to do, then. Research the subject as much as you can. But not on Veeky Forums, because like I said, most people on here don't know anything about it. Good luck.

Don't bother with medicine OP, I don't know if it's the same in the States but in the UK, medicine is just an orgy of people who 'kind of liked biology' during school and went with the option that would make them the most money... And the vast majority of these people never get in to study anyway, selection process is very difficult and whilst some make it through, if you want to have any chance of getting in you have to be very good at acting like you are really devoted to it, or actually be like that.

And then the only people that can cope with the degree and the job thereafter are people who are doing it for the love of the job. These are the people who have known they always wanted to do it, it's all they've ever wanted to do, they've got shit tons of hours of work experience, that kind of thing. You are not one of those people. I know I'm not one of those people and it's what put me off doing veterinary medicine - my dad's a veterinarian and he was one of those genuinely devoted people when he was going to university and even he's at the stage of wanting to blow his brains out after being in the profession for 30 years.

If I were to suggest anything it would be engineering. Pay's still good (at least in the UK it is), especially if you do chemical, which is what I'm studying. Sure the degree's difficult but the difference is the job afterwards is certainly not as difficult or stressful as being a medic. Yeah sometimes it might not be the most interesting thing ever but at least you can feel like you're accomplishing something and contributing to society a lot more than just a standard office job. And from the engineers I've met, most still like their jobs and have a great quality of life, they don't want to blow their brains out. Genuinely some of the happiest (and most successful) people I've met.

It's your life OP, you do whatever you want with it. But I've met enough medics (veterinary or otherwise) to be persuaded out of going anywhere near it.

Not op but in my eyes engineering, physics, medicine and dentistry are all top level fields but doesn't medicine come with greater respect and prestige? Pay wise I'm sure they're all similar but nobody is impressed when they hear someone's an engineer rather than a doctor

I'm not so sure I agree, I mean maybe slightly but people look pretty amazed and baffled when I tell them I'm studying chemical engineering. Medicine is just more understood and recognised.

But regardless of respect and prestige, your life choices shouldn't be made on something as arbitrary as how amazed people will be when you tell them what you do. None of that shit matters when you're 36 and hate your job and want to jump off the nearest bridge.

Who gives a fuck what other people think. Enjoying your job is the most important thing. You know who chooses money over happiness? The dumbest cunts on Earth.
If employment is your only concern, computer science beats everything else, because it isn't as boring or difficult as engineering; you can find work virtually everywhere - even from home; several different specialties; cushy, well-paid job.

As a medical student in UK, can confirm.

Medicine is an unbelievably demanding subject to study. Even if you like studying, we're talking about a length and frequency of study that you would get sick of it if you were masturbating instead. It is in fact so hard to study that universities in UK tend to do their best to make students pass to avoid drop-outs, as the investment in students is huge, but there are still tons of people dropping out every year.

While it's true that the pay is likely good, although not very in the UK, it's difficult to keep motivated seeing literally thousands of small details you have to memorise.

MD here
Medicine is pure hardcore Table memorization
Pathology, Physiology, Anatomy, Semiology,Internal Medicine, OBGYN..... Everything is a table and you must memorize it.
Also there's the whole dealing with patients thing, This week I couldn't stand my ambulatory (neurosurgery - spine diseases) because every single patient just couldn't shut up (and all of them wanted to stop working and get government benefits)

Do Dentistry in a capitalist country. Its the tits, work for yourself, make tons of money doing all the various mouth surgeries, add in veneers and whitening for dat bonus.

Also Sheldon is the physics professor so you could know that for next time you have a physics question OP.

Anyway being a doctor sucks, dentistry for the win.

>most are fucking tradespeople
No, Veeky Forums is mostly filled with NEETs

Speaking scientifically, I want to take a moment to express how fine a thing it is to be a mammal.

Thanks

oh boy I would science all over her face.

>memorization
wrong! if you're smart you understand things, not memorize them. Medicine is a dream if you study the right way. If you just end up memorizing tables by rote then you end up depressed and dropping out

Your loss m8

You are clearly delusional....
Sorry, but your theory simply doesn't hold in the real world.
There are TONS of things that you memorize, like drug interactions, treatment and dose for a ton of diseases, patterns of skin diseases, patterns of diseases in imaging methods, list of muscles and their innervation and vascularization. Contents of anatomical spaces... so many I can barely scratch...

Mate nowadays you even memorise how to approach a fucking patient. Your speech is almost pre-constructed. And the sad thing is, until you pass the exams, you have to abide by the rules and follow it.

Hello Veeky Forums! My username is "feynman" and I'm creating a discord for physicians, nursing, premed, and life sciences majors. Non-life science majors are welcome too. For people who don't know discord, it's a free chat platform that uses text and voice.

Perm link:
discord.gg/jK4U7bk

>Doesn't want to study
>Wants to be a physician

I'm taking my MCAT in April and the amount of time I've put in for this test alone is so far about 300 hours. If you take all of the time studying with the time spent doing extracurricular activities like research and volunteering/shadowing it's probably around 5000 hours. This is just to make myself competitive to get into med school. I'm sure it's vastly different and frankly quite easier to get a spot in a European medical school but you're still going to have to dump time into getting in.

and then all the shit you memorize becomes obsolete so you have to go to conferences every fucking month and read journals every night to keep up with new treatments and diseases and bullshit

>like drug interactions

Learn you organic and bio chem kids.

I know two guys how dropped EE to do Medicine. They claim it's a walk in the park compared to engineering.

It is much more than that. There are specific patterns of competition for receptors, how and where a drug is metabolized, how it is excreted from the body, what is it's distribution pattern in the body, is it able to cross hematoencephallic barrier? And the placentary barrier? What percentage binds to plasma proteins... and so on
Heck, there are a ton of drugs we are not even sure the exact method they work

If you have a genuine passion for studying and you don't go in for the money you'll actually find it enjoyable, you just have to make it interesting because memorization is boring. If you're doing anatomy, imagine a 3D model of a person, and make it as detailed as possible and add shit to it as you study.

It's also possible to pass with two days of cramming before the exam, which is what I've been doing for the most part but you're just gonna end up a shit doctor.

By the way, the 'dialogue with patients is rehearsed' is actually true, which kills me inside but I suppose they're looking for effectiveness above anything.

I did exactly this. I've always liked anatomy, and it is quite easy (to me) imagining structures in 3d. Most fun I had in Med shcool was dissecting cadavers as anatomy demonstrator,
About cramming I think it is inevitable because most times the tests cared about details and since you don't get to see those diseases everyday your memory will fail you, so if you don't get a "short term memory refresher" you're headed to a disaster grade.

Also, at least in my case, Med school is not like a normal course with mostly written exams. I've had TONS of pratical exams, ranging from naming anatomical structures in a cadaver in less than 30s, identifying tissues and organs under the microscope and bedside tests, where you get bombarded by questions until you can no longer answer them. Also those dolls. I hate OBGYN dolls

It's much more tedious and much more competitive than physics. In the States pretty much the only difficult class to get A on is if it's curved and premed. Physics classes are literal handouts compared to those. And you need a great GPA, great extra activities and all that bullshit to get into a good med school. From there it's more cutthroat competition and shit tons of memorization.
Med school is only good if you are 100% sure you are motivated and dedicated to it. Or if mommy will pay for all your educational expenses and you don't mind dropping out of it to pursue your next real dream.

Canada?

US

Op here, from what I've heard and experienced with physics, neither are 'easy' but I'd agree with what you're saying.

>It's much more tedious and much more competitive than physics.

True but an artificially constructed situation designed to prevent an over-supply of physicians (conspiracy if you will).

Physics is a much more "difficult" subject than medicine (There are more black physicians in one hospital than black PhD level physicist in the entire country).
Pibc kind of related

don't talk shit on ben carson man, he pioneered hemispherectomies for childhood epilepsy and a procedure to treat hydrocephalic fetuses in the womb

>cuts tissue with scalpel, drains fluid with catheter
>"""gifted"""

Why don't they hire literally anyone for that then?

>Why don't they hire literally anyone for that then?
They did. He's the right color.

t. first year med student

>all this whining about memorization

Only a brainlet would have any problems with the level of memorization at med school

>same chart shows whites get boost for asians
kek

plus, your chart doesnt disprove ben carson is smart