Literary Confessions Thread

Literary Confessions Thread
>I thought 2666 was a science fiction book
>To kill a mockingbird is shit
>Hitchhiker's guide is actually pretty great

I can relate to all of these user

I'm better than everyone I've read so far, I have to confess. Please screenshot this for the Facebook karma

Even though Veeky Forums is determined to backlash the backlash, I still strongly dislike Catcher in the Rye.

Why?

if you need to ask, you shouldn't be posting here.

I buy books that are praised without even checking the pdf first to see if I like them

I buy books without reading the blurb.

I don't need too, thankfully: and but, I wanted to; so, why?

I enjoy reading romantic trashy novels from time to time

really low-brow novels

I read books translated in my native language and at the same in english

I underline so many passages in the books I read that the act of underlining becomes pointless.

I like reading creepypasta. Even the shitty ones.

>if you need to ask, you shouldn't be posting here.
>I don't like a book, and I'm not gonna tell you why cause I'm a fucking douchebag.

Thanks for the clarification bro

I agree with to kill a mockingbird so overrated imo just because every memer reads it in highschool.

The Stranger isn't anything exceptional.
It really feels like babbys first existential crisis.

I don't feel like it taught me anything except now I get the
>muh sun memes

Also A Separate Peace is a book I'm not sure you should assign high schoolers.

I like gogol, turgueniev and tolstoy (a lot), but i kind dislike dostoyevsky, dont know why...

I hate fantasy and I think it's lesser literature.
When someone says he reads Tolkien or George R.R Martin and they say yes, I assume they're NEETs/retards. The only way they can save themselves from my judgement is if they read the classics.

I also judge people who don't read much but Joyce, John Green and DFW.
I wish these people would put down their books and stop demanding shittier literature from publishers so we could have a great writer in our lifetime.

I only read like 50 pages of A song of ice and fire but I hate the franchise with a passion because every conversation about books with litnormies end up in a GoT echobox.

I'm just a judgemental dick tbf.

+1: I actually like Veeky Forums because we can actually discuss books here, regardless of shitposts. I frequented /r/books and I was disgusted by the amount of jackasses who read a Hunger games tier book and considered themselves literary men/women/one-of-the-other-160-genders. Favorite prose? "Here's some Ernest Cline/Tolkien/Meme R.R Martin"

+2: I can thank my social life to Camus. I read lots of Camus as a shut-in teenager and my misinterpretation of his works led me to say "fuck it" to most things and go out to live.

much of dostoyevsky's appeal is entwined with the philosophical/moral role of his characters, both in their dialogue and the implications of their actions.

if you're not particularly interested in his theories or you've already developed beyond them (they are quite facile), the other aspects of his writing--his imagery, his plots, his prose, etc--are too weak to hold up the story on their lonesome and the whole thing falls flat.

this is also why a lot of people who do enjoy him will rarely ever re-read him. once the ideological rabbit has been pulled out of the metaphorical hat, there's little else to gain from him.

I've always thought To Kill a Mockingbird is a perfect example of the category of books that are culturally significant, but of little artistic/literary value. Another example is Animal Farm.

you have to be over 18 to browse this website, please leave and preferrably kill yourself

do you think that why suicide is the most important question you ask for yourself?

I actually can't comprehend what you're saying

I thought Ficciones was difficult to read.

No problems with Joyce, though.

I'm sorry but you sound like a dreadfully boring person.

you sound middle brow as fuck pham

me too, famalam

Books like Sons and Lovers or To The Lighthouse are nothing but shitty ramblings. Modernism and stream of consciousness was a mistake.

>used to pronounce John Donne as Jon Don

That's true desu.

Study from 7am to 3pm, go out once a week on workdays, get drunk on saturday, sober up on sunday, read when not drunk/at work/uni, rinse and repeat.

Sauce for pic? Looks Veeky Forums

Still haven't read Ada or Ardor in full :(

I'm not even the dude you're replying to but thanks, this seems like the exacty very reason why I disliked Dostoyevski, I just couldn't elaborate because I only read C&P and sorta lost steam for Brothers K.

James Franco should have known you never go full retard smfh.

What an infallible argument!

OP here, I never read the book, I just want to know your opinions on it.

i unironically thought that sad man dostoevsky is good

even some postmodern writers are better

Agree with all 3 t-bh

>I've fapped to most of the classic novels I've read

because the protagonist is a poopy head

i thought this will be your answer, you are living meme
think about that this way: take beginning for example, how first person narrator and main character of book claims to reader that he simply does not feel like reavealing details about himself - i mean how many times you seen something like that in a novel. Its very subersive if you ask me

bump

i eat from the trash can of ideology

I am convinced that when I figure out where the plot is going, I will have a coming-of-age hit but my intended audience are young adults. i don't want to be the next john green. i am a 19 yo college dropout, am a pseud and have a lot of prose to study. expecting a lot of shit from Veeky Forums but will give you guys a shoutout when i win the Printz award

fucking kek

read a sticky dummy

I've never read any Pynchon

I buy books by spinning around in the bookstore with my eyes closed and buying the book I'm pointing at when I open my eyes.

Wew lad

I never finished TBK, even though I was enjoying it.
I thought Hunger was Hamsun's weakest novel (still great tho)
I think Borges was a genius, but I don't think many of his stories read that well.
I have never read Don Quijote, even though I'm Spanish
I had to slog though Journey to the end of the night, I still don't see its appeal. Highly quotable book though.

I dont read books I just shit post

I mean it to, this isnt a shit post

I never finished the Illiad or The Odyssey and I don't think I will.

I loved Infinite Jest, although I'm well aware of its issues it was such an experience and really instilled in me the power of fiction and what it could do.