What is this guy's deal?

What is this guy's deal?
I read Savage Detectives and I dont know if I liked it.

What are your thoughts on him and his work, Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

letras.s5.com/bolano320903.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

este man en mi país, no es nadie.

Arguably the best writer in Spanish language of the last 30 years or so.

Had a pretty weird life, kind of makes you assume this guy couldn't just write about banalities. This also contributed to his posthumous mythification, specially since a lot of his works are semi-autobiographical.

I enjoyed the Savage Detectives best, the second part of the novel (the interviews) is the best thing he ever wrote, at least from a formal standpoint.

There's some good stuff in his novellas (By Midnight in Chile, A little lumpen novella) and his short stories (Sensini, Putas asesinas). His poetry is pretty bad though.

He seems to draw heavily from Borges and Cortázar and write against most of the latin-american canon.

Don't look for plot or a very strong cohesion in his works cause he's all about themes.

Personally I find his way of seeing the epic in defeat really appealing
>"Yo soy de los que creen que el ser humano está condenado de antemano a la derrota, a la derrota sin apelaciones, pero que hay que salir y dar la pelea y darla, además, de la mejor forma posible, de cara y limpiamente, sin pedir cuartel (porque además no te lo darán), e intentar caer como un valiente, y que eso es nuestra victoria."

Just off the top of my head

>man
>not hombre

You have to go back

>mfw I don't know spanish but know what this means right away
the power of memes

Where is that quote from?

Maybe you actually know spanish

An interview, you can find it here
letras.s5.com/bolano320903.htm

Sorry what do you mean you don't know if you liked it or not. Did you or didn't you its simple.
2666 is my favourite book, and I've read a majority of his œuvre. He's lots of fun with the right amount of melancholy without having to delve into magical realism bullshit

>Latin american, therefore magical realism
Get a load of this gringo

uppity spanish bobo, thinks he's better than delillo and pynchon while adding absolutely nothing

I'm saying he avoids writing magical realism. Learn to read, Pedro.

Somewhat... One of his most respected short stories (The Return) relies completely on magical realism.

My point being that you think all of the continent's literary output must be put in relation with one small literary movement that is probably only popular in the states cause One Hundred Years of Solitude was recommended once in Oprah's morning show.

wew lad

ese buey, en mi pais es bien chingon.

Este tío, en mi país, no es una mierda

¿Qué países?

>I dont know if I liked it.
You sound like a faggot.

mejico

>Arguably the best writer in Spanish language of the last 30 years or so.

Very probably.

este man taco burrito orale, tacos

Tu país no es nada

damn, really makes you think

in some hispanic countries, the word man is used as slang. i.e. mang, meng. man.

South America truly was a mistake

>implying north america wasnt

Where? here the only english words we use are tied to video games, memes, and some social politics. the rest is slang in spanish or a native tongue

puelto lico

puelto lico is not in south america, idiot

You're must be very young. broken English slang has been slowly creeping down to South America since the 70's.

dont listen to this faggot the Caribbean and South America are Bros.

I have read Los Detectives Salvajes, Estrella Distante, La Literatura Nazi and El Gaucho Insufrible from him.

I think Savage detectives is a masterpiece, especially because of the second part that consists in interviews, I think it stands alone as a great collection of short stories.
I remember fondly the Camping story, the duel with the critic, the critics giving speeches that ended with everything that begins as.... ends as..., the neonazi retard, ulises lost in Nicaragua, and the last interviews about Belano in Africa.

Distant Star is great, but a short novella you could read in half a day. I would wait until his short novels get sold in one single editon.

Even though I havent read his whole works, I get the impression only 2666, Savage Detectives, Distant Star and By Night in Chile are great works.

beta loser who wrote books about him being alpha adventurer

kek

I wrote this

and I agree with you, I dropped the Savage detectives last year because of that (I thought, literature for this guy is doing all the cool things he couldnt do in his real life), this year I gave it another chance and ended up liking the book in spite of that.

where did you write this?

I meant I wrote the post above you recommending the book.

Last year I dropped it at the fight with the German in the camping.
I thought the book was like those Tarantino movies in which Jews or Blacks get the revenges they couldnt get in real life.

This year I decided to give it another try and ended up liking it.

2666 was such a great fucking read it makes me really sad i will never read it for the first time ever again

Really? Im on the first part (100 pages in) and academic love triangle thing is starting to bore me
Does it get better?

actually, i might love the first part the best. even though the entire book is sublime.